A63 rerouted ?

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

roadphotos

A63 rerouted ?

Post by roadphotos »

Has the A63 been rerouted around Howden. Some maps now show the A63 taking a route to the west of the town on what was a 'B Road' and then joining the A614 but others still show the A63 going through the middle of Howden. Can anyone tell me which is the correct route for the A63 and if it has been rerouted when did this happen.
owen b

Re: A63 rerouted ?

Post by owen b »

No idea, but on a related point it's long puzzled me why a bypass of Howden has never been provided to link the A63 to the A614 near M62 J37. It looks like such a simple link to provide.
Owen
Mattemotorway

Post by Mattemotorway »

The A63 was re-routed to the west of Howden back in 2016, I believe, with the old route becoming an extension of the B1230.
My old posts are just downright embarrassing.

Expects to climb the job ladder quickly and is often glued to my phone... Apparently..
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Thanks for the information on the rerouted A63. I've just noticed that the SABRE Wiki also shows the rerouted A63 so it must have been updated. One thing I also noticed is that both the B1230 and the B1228 haven't been updated on the Wiki. Both of these 'B Roads' have had changes as a result of the A63 being rerouted to the west of Howden. The B1230 has now been extended west along what was the A63 through Howden and the rerouted A63 has taken over part of what was the B1228 west of Howden going south to the A614.
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

roadphotos wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 20:57 Has the A63 been rerouted around Howden. Some maps now show the A63 taking a route to the west of the town on what was a 'B Road' and then joining the A614 but others still show the A63 going through the middle of Howden. Can anyone tell me which is the correct route for the A63 and if it has been rerouted when did this happen.
This happened back in August 2016 – or at least, that's when the road signs were changed to route the A63 around the outside of the town (on the route that was signposted for through traffic before that, even though it used a B road and an unclassified road!) and the old through the town renumbered to B1230.

Surprisingly, all the road signs around both the old road and new road were completely replaced, and not just patched, and appear to be almost all correct. My only quibble is with the sign near the BP garage that shows "Beverley B1230 / Local traffic only" ... it's daft to signpost a distant destination but then say that the road is for local traffic only. (From that point to Beverley, Google reckons it saves 2 minutes to turn round at the roundabout and hop onto the motorway, but it's 2 miles shorter along the B1230). Either give it as a signposted route to Beverley, or only sign it to Gilberdyke!
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Thanks for the information on the date that the A63 route was changed at Howden. The only thing I can't understand is that none of the most up to date road atlases show this change. I can only assume that they have all failed to pick up on it. Has the latest Ordnance Survey Landranger map 105 got this change ?
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

roadphotos wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 18:33 Thanks for the information on the date that the A63 route was changed at Howden. The only thing I can't understand is that none of the most up to date road atlases show this change. I can only assume that they have all failed to pick up on it. Has the latest Ordnance Survey Landranger map 105 got this change ?
Unlikely that it will be on the printed map, as they haven't even updated the online maps yet!
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

roadphotos wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 17:15 Thanks for the information on the rerouted A63. I've just noticed that the SABRE Wiki also shows the rerouted A63 so it must have been updated. One thing I also noticed is that both the B1230 and the B1228 haven't been updated on the Wiki. Both of these 'B Roads' have had changes as a result of the A63 being rerouted to the west of Howden. The B1230 has now been extended west along what was the A63 through Howden and the rerouted A63 has taken over part of what was the B1228 west of Howden going south to the A614.
And Google Maps has a third version, with the A63 going down the yellow road, then taking over the B1228 into Howden and picking up the old A63 route to the roundabout. But StreetView shows the street signs as described by roadphotos.
Mattemotorway

Post by Mattemotorway »

Stevie D wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 19:36
roadphotos wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 18:33 Thanks for the information on the date that the A63 route was changed at Howden. The only thing I can't understand is that none of the most up to date road atlases show this change. I can only assume that they have all failed to pick up on it. Has the latest Ordnance Survey Landranger map 105 got this change ?
Unlikely that it will be on the printed map, as they haven't even updated the online maps yet!
The current edition dates from 2014! Also, map 106's current edition came out at the start of 2016 too! (Howden's in the overlap between the two)
My old posts are just downright embarrassing.

Expects to climb the job ladder quickly and is often glued to my phone... Apparently..
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Open Street Map shows it correct with all of the road renumbering that's happened at Howden but there can't be many others
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

The way that the link road at M62 J37 is dual-carriageway when the main A614 is only single in either direction, plus the way it points NW from the junction, suggests to me that there may once have been plans to link A63 with this junction, taking it out of Howden town a lot longer ago. Is there any evidence of something like that about in the archives or the bore-hole records?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

roadphotos wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 15:05 Open Street Map shows it correct with all of the road renumbering that's happened at Howden but there can't be many others
There's a good reason for that :lol:
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 20:17 The way that the link road at M62 J37 is dual-carriageway when the main A614 is only single in either direction, plus the way it points NW from the junction, suggests to me that there may once have been plans to link A63 with this junction, taking it out of Howden town a lot longer ago. Is there any evidence of something like that about in the archives or the bore-hole records?
Plus the property line at the edge of Howden very much looks like it's laid out for a road to go past.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 20:17 The way that the link road at M62 J37 is dual-carriageway when the main A614 is only single in either direction, plus the way it points NW from the junction, suggests to me that there may once have been plans to link A63 with this junction, taking it out of Howden town a lot longer ago. Is there any evidence of something like that about in the archives or the bore-hole records?
If you follow the obvious-looking line north west from that roundabout, you'll find not just that the property line is laid out to allow for a bypass of Howden in that manner, but also that after the line crosses Knedlington Road, it would run smoothly into the A63 at exactly the point the A63 presently curves away to the south. West of there, the A63 has been widened and straightened at some point; that improvement stops at the corner and the road narrows noticeably.

Borehole records or not, it very definitely looks like everything was laid out for a bypass but one was never provided.
Berk

Post by Berk »

What a shame, it’s be the easiest road job ever to do. In other news, OS mapping has now been updated, and shows the re-routed A63 avoiding Howden.
Paul7755

Post by Paul7755 »

Berk wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 23:56 What a shame, it’s be the easiest road job ever to do. In other news, OS mapping has now been updated, and shows the re-routed A63 avoiding Howden.
I’m seeing it change back to the A63 through the north of Howden as I zoom in. The OS app doesn’t seem to be fixed either...
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris5156 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:17
If you follow the obvious-looking line north west from that roundabout, you'll find not just that the property line is laid out to allow for a bypass of Howden in that manner, but also that after the line crosses Knedlington Road, it would run smoothly into the A63 at exactly the point the A63 presently curves away to the south. West of there, the A63 has been widened and straightened at some point; that improvement stops at the corner and the road narrows noticeably.

Borehole records or not, it very definitely looks like everything was laid out for a bypass but one was never provided.
Seems a bizarre thing to have never done. Poor ground conditions being next to the Ouse perhaps?
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

It looks like the B1228 has been shortened at Howden. All of the most up to date maps show the road that runs from the centre of Howden to the rerouted A63 at Knedlington as an unclassified minor road so it looks like the road is no longer the B1228. The information on the B1228 on the Wiki will probably need updating.
Ritchie333
Assistant Site Manager

Post by Ritchie333 »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:51
Chris5156 wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:17 Borehole records or not, it very definitely looks like everything was laid out for a bypass but one was never provided.
Seems a bizarre thing to have never done. Poor ground conditions being next to the Ouse perhaps?
It also runs over a former railway line, parts of which elsewhere are still intact for goods purposes. Is it possible they couldn't get planning permission to stick a bypass over it?
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....