Southampton Cycle Network (SCN)

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Johnathan404

Southampton Cycle Network (SCN)

Post by Johnathan404 »

I did not know that Southampton has its own numbered cycle route network, SCN1-SCN9.

It is numbered clockwise around the city with two additional orbital routes. It is more of a programme of targetted improvements because some of those roads are not good candidates for promoting cycling.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
Peter350

Re: Southampton Cycle Network (SCN)

Post by Peter350 »

I've known about this for a while but seeing as it appears to be a hub-and-spoke radial network, I think it would be much more logical if the eastern sections of SCN 4, 2, 5, 3 and 1 were numbered SCN 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 respectively. I doubt there would be a huge amount of cross-city traffic using the entire lengths of the routes proposed.
jervi

Post by jervi »

Seems pretty good, If only more cities could be asked to have streets dedicated to cycles.
I had a look at some of the choke points on the routes, and it is as if the Local Council put in new cycle lanes before new legislation would block them. Looking and the lane widths and shared spaces, especially on the bridges and main roads.
http://www.standardsforhighways.co.uk/h ... ian195.pdf
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Peter350 wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 17:51 I've known about this for a while but seeing as it appears to be a hub-and-spoke radial network, I think it would be much more logical if the eastern sections of SCN 4, 2, 5, 3 and 1 were numbered SCN 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12 respectively. I doubt there would be a huge amount of cross-city traffic using the entire lengths of the routes proposed.
Interesting... This document: https://transport.southampton.gov.uk/me ... -final.pdf linked to from the web page does indeed split some of the routes at the central hub, and of course introduces some renumbering....
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Arcuarius

Post by Arcuarius »

I just love how people try to copy the Harry Beck style and make a complete dog's breakfast of it :roll:
"Accuse the other side of that which you are guilty."
- some extreme-right nutcase

1973-2007 Never forgotten
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

Most of this network is just a mix of shared-use paths and lanes. Not very pleasant for pedestrians and not particularly safe. Secure storage facilities would be a better investment.
Nathan_A_RF

Post by Nathan_A_RF »

The routes are somewhat good in that it is turning some traffic lanes into cycle lanes, but I agree the way forward is not to put cyclists with pedestrians where possible. The best section so far in my opinion has to be the cycle paths along The Avenue. Segregated nearly all the way from nearly the city centre to Southampton Common. If only the 4 lane Bassett Avenue was converted similarly...
Patrick Harper

Post by Patrick Harper »

Heh, I walk along there almost 40 minutes most weekdays. There are now 'segregated' lanes between the Common and the Vauxhall dealer, and the northbound carriageway south of there has been redesigned with a cycle lane. The adjacent shared-use footpath remains though, and none of the work is particularly well designed to deal with potential conflicts. TBH, it was fine the way it was before.
solocle

Post by solocle »

For something that's advertised as a "bike freeway", to then just plough into a turning off a DC with confused priorities (Allington Rd)? No. Thank. You.

At least priorities are clear if you ride on the DC (and generally it falls to you, in places it wouldn't on the cycle path).
GeekyJames

Post by GeekyJames »

New plans for extending the Avenue (SCN5) Cycle Corridor...

https://transport.southampton.gov.uk/avenuelovers