Junctions with no official name

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

M5Lenzar
Banned

Junctions with no official name

Post by M5Lenzar »

This junction is between the A1214 and A1156 in Ipswich. It is local, but deserves a Wiki page as the A12 and A45 used to meet here (not to mention that many much smaller junctions get their own page). The problem is that there does not seem to be an official name for it - and locals tend to call it 'the double roundabout'. There isn't even an unofficial name that is used almost universally, such as Wickes Roundabout in Taunton.

Is there a policy regarding how to name a page for such junctions?

From the SABRE Wiki: Wickes Roundabout :

Wickes Roundabout is a busy junction not far from the centre of Taunton, Somerset. The A38 and A358 begin a brief multiplex along the Toneway, whilst the A3038, a minor local route, forms the fourth arm of the junction.

While not signed on the Advance Direction Signs for the roundabout, the roundabout is known locally after the large DIY store adjacent to it, and is featured regularly on travel news as such

|

... Read More
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: Junctions with no official name

Post by Steven »

I think we've always erred on the side of needs a name, even a colloquial one before it can get a page.

Made up names are definitely not allowed!
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I do agree with Steven that generally if it's not notable enough for a name, it's probably not notable enough for a page - but I think this one is notable - it's a double mini roundabout that has been so for as long as I can remember. It's also been subject to various consultations on how to make it better for non motorised users in recent years, as well as historically being an important intersection.

I really, really hate the "Asda Roundabout" sort of page name - although I accept that with the Wickes Roundabout in Taunton (and most of the Asda and Tescos roundabouts that we've got on the wiki), that the councils invariably refer to them as such, and that they're on the travel news as such, and that everyone knows them as such.

I do agree that some unnamed junctions are notable enough for a page, even though the junction might not have an official name. Sometimes digging does reveal that the junction might be named after the minor road that meets the more major road, and so that obviously can be used.

Clearly, where junctions are numbered, e.g. A14 J14 we've used that - however, clearly that doesn't apply here.

I'm surprised that the horrible double mini roundabout junction isn't referred to as the Inkerman, after the pub.... Any official documentation that there is seems to use the catchy "Norwich Road/Valley Road/Chevallier Street".

We've got the choice I suppose therefore of:
* A1156-A1214 Junction
* Norwich Road-Valley Road-Chevallier Street Junction (/ is invalid as it denotes a subpage)
* The Inkerman Junction

I'd probably call it A1156-A1214 Junction, as the documented name is simply a horrible mouthful....
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

M5Lenzar wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 13:15 This junction is between the A1214 and A1156 in Ipswich.
The missus, who for almost 20 years lived a few hundred yards away from this junction, helpfully tells me that they always called it "The Norwich Road roundabout" and that it first became a double mini-roundabout in the early 1980s - one of the first in the country?

She also regales stories of doing economics 'A' level and performing a survey of users of the nearby shops along the Norwich road to see where the customers came from. As this was years before the Ipswich bypass, a large proportion of the customer were from Holland, Germany and further afield - having recently arrived on the ferry at Felixstowe.
Let it snow.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Part of the local bypass was closed last night due to an accident between 2 roundabouts, neither of them have an official name so many variations appeared on social media with people either asking what/where was closed and how to get around it.
One of them is often referred to as McDonald’s roundabout and because there’s only one in town and it’s right by it then it is a very useful geographical description of it, the other commonly goes by various names and some of them can be slightly confusing as they refer to places that lead off it, some of which you’d go over one or two more roundabouts to get to. No one ever refers to it by its actual road name though!
M5Lenzar
Banned

Post by M5Lenzar »

I asked an Ipswich group on Facebook. Nobody could give me an official name but various names around the theme of the Inkerman were suggested.

I prefer that to 'A1156-A1214 Junction' personally. I'm afraid I don't listen to BBC Radio Suffolk enough to have heard what name they use!
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

News articles are a good source of junction names although they can use the "Asda Roundabout" terminology.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
StockburyRoundabout

Post by StockburyRoundabout »

Steven wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 13:21 I think we've always erred on the side of needs a name, even a colloquial one before it can get a page.

Made up names are definitely not allowed!
Here in Kent, all the motorway junctions in the county have a SABRE wiki page (even 2 without a name on the M20). I have compiled a full list according to the wiki:
M2:
1 - Park Pale (Three Crutches)
2 - Merrals Shaw
3 - Taddington (Bluebell)
4 - Gillingham
5 - The Ridgeway (Stockbury)
6 - Perry Court
7 - Brenley Corner
M20:
1 - Swanley
2 - Wrotham Hill
3 - Addington
4 - Leybourne
5 - Aylesford (Coldharbour)
6 - Sandling
7 - Unnamed (but has a SABRE wiki page)
8 - Hollingbourne
9 - Unnamed (but has a SABRE wiki page)
10 - Lacton
10A - Sevington
11 - Stanford
11A - Beachborough Cross Roads
12 - Cheriton
13 - Castle Hill
M25 (Kent Junctions):
1a - Littlebrook (A282)
1b - Princes Road (A282)
2 - Darenth
3 - Swanley
4 - Hewitts Roundabout
5 - Chevening
M26:
M20 J3 - Addington
2a - Wrotham Heath
M25 J5 - Chevening
Now with added Grade Separation!
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

One other complication is that some junctions have colloquial names that simply make no sense these days. The junction between the A172 and Ladgate Lane (the old A174) is still often referred to as Marton Bungalow, a structure that was demolished 60 years ago. This what is there now.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.54072 ... 8192?hl=en
vlad

Post by vlad »

KeithW wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 17:22 One other complication is that some junctions have colloquial names that simply make no sense these days. The junction between the A172 and Ladgate Lane (the old A174) is still often referred to as Marton Bungalow, a structure that was demolished 60 years ago. This what is there now.

Given that there are plenty of junctions whose official names refer to something long-gone, I doubt that's a problem!
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

vlad wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 19:50
KeithW wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 17:22 One other complication is that some junctions have colloquial names that simply make no sense these days. The junction between the A172 and Ladgate Lane (the old A174) is still often referred to as Marton Bungalow, a structure that was demolished 60 years ago. This what is there now.

Given that there are plenty of junctions whose official names refer to something long-gone, I doubt that's a problem!
The junction of A456 and A4123 was traditionally known as the "Warley Odeon" after the cinema that stood there for many years, and this persisted even after the cinema was demolished in the 1970s. An office block now occupies the site, but the junction is now officially signed as "Beech Lanes Cross", an unsatisfactory name at best.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

M60 Junction 2 leads to Roscoe's Roundabout, a builder's merchants which closed nearly 30 years ago.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
crb11

Post by crb11 »

Caxton Gibbet is another obvious example at pushing 200 years, but I'm sure there are older examples out there. Locally we have Murketts' Corner which is confusing for another reason: Murketts is still around, but some time ago moved to a bigger site a couple of hundred yards away.
[real name Colin]
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

crb11 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 22:35 Caxton Gibbet is another obvious example at pushing 200 years, but I'm sure there are older examples out there.
The Caxton Gibbet name still makes sense. When they demolished the pub (in about 2012) and replaced it with a (small) service station the actual gibbet - which I accept a bit of a grandfathers axe - was retained and can still be seen.
Let it snow.
ikcdab

Post by ikcdab »

M5Lenzar wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 13:15 This junction is between the A1214 and A1156 in Ipswich. It is local, but deserves a Wiki page as the A12 and A45 used to meet here (not to mention that many much smaller junctions get their own page). The problem is that there does not seem to be an official name for it - and locals tend to call it 'the double roundabout'. There isn't even an unofficial name that is used almost universally, such as Wickes Roundabout in Taunton.

Ha, the Wickes Roundabout just takes its name from whatever the DIY shed next to it is currently called. I remember when it was called the Great Mills roundabout. I'm sure after that it was called the Focus Roundabout (maybe I dreamt that) before it became Wickes.
Still busy though.

Wickes Roundabout is a busy junction not far from the centre of Taunton, Somerset. The A38 and A358 begin a brief multiplex along the Toneway, whilst the A3038, a minor local route, forms the fourth arm of the junction.

While not signed on the Advance Direction Signs for the roundabout, the roundabout is known locally after the large DIY store adjacent to it, and is featured regularly on travel news as such

|

... Read More
skiddaw05

Post by skiddaw05 »

ikcdab wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 21:03
M5Lenzar wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 13:15 This junction is between the A1214 and A1156 in Ipswich. It is local, but deserves a Wiki page as the A12 and A45 used to meet here (not to mention that many much smaller junctions get their own page). The problem is that there does not seem to be an official name for it - and locals tend to call it 'the double roundabout'. There isn't even an unofficial name that is used almost universally, such as Wickes Roundabout in Taunton.

Ha, the Wickes Roundabout just takes its name from whatever the DIY shed next to it is currently called. I remember when it was called the Great Mills roundabout. I'm sure after that it was called the Focus Roundabout (maybe I dreamt that) before it became Wickes.
Still busy though.
It could become the To Let roundabout then?

|

... Read More
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

crb11 wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 22:35 Caxton Gibbet is another obvious example at pushing 200 years, but I'm sure there are older examples out there.
Just noticed this thread now and Gallows Corner on the A12/A127 of course follows the same logic. I doubt it has been a place of public execution since the 17th century.
Osthagen

Post by Osthagen »

I think we had a thread for junctions that take their name from something that no longer exists. Another good example is J5 on the M74, which is named ''Raith'' in honour of a now-defunct farm.
"I see the face of a child. He lives in a great city. He is black. Or he is white. He is Mexican, Italian, Polish. None of that matters. What matters, he's an American child"
- Richard Nixon