B4669

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris Bertram

B4669

Post by Chris Bertram »

This is the road from Hinckley leading east, having a junction with M69 (north facing slips only) and reaching B4114 near Sapcote. It all used to be A5070, but the roads within Hinckley have been progressively renumbered since the construction of the A47 relief road, and now all the roads within the town are B-roads, most of them numbered B466x, these being out of zone as A5 runs to the south of the town.

Now you all know all of this already, but I'm pretty sure I remember an interim state for B4669 where A5070 survived between M69 and Hinckley town centre (this was before the relief road), but since A46 had been downgraded to B4114 after M69 had opened, the section east of the motorway junction was already a B-road - and its number was then B4069. I was doing the M69 fairly regularly 30-ish years ago, and would welcome confirmation that this memory is correct, so if any of you have road atlases of a certain age, featuring M69 but before the Hinckley relief road and the renumberings in the town (i.e. A47 and A447 still go through the town), can you check this? I used to have one, but it got "archived" a few years ago. SABRE maps can't help as this is too recent to have mapping out of copyright.

If this is true, then the Wiki will need updating. There are already three pages for B4069, but two iterations of the number are very old, and the third only got its number "in the late eighties", so there is a gap where my version could have existed.

So, true or false?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: A5070 :
... Read More
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: B4669

Post by Steven »

Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:34
So, true or false?
It would appear to be true...
B4069.JPG
Further investigation is required, however.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Chris Bertram

Re: B4669

Post by Chris Bertram »

Steven wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:47
Chris Bertram wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:34
So, true or false?
It would appear to be true...

B4069.JPG

Further investigation is required, however.
Thanks. We need dates. I would suggest that the renumbering "to" would be when M69 opened and A46 was downgraded, this being November 1976 for J2 to M1. But the renumbering "from"? That's less certain. I don't know when the Hinckley renumbering madness happened our Wiki articles (example B4668) don't say, and neither does the A47 article indicate when the Hinckley by-pass opened, which would seem an appropriate moment for the changes. What external clues are there?

The other factor is when the current B4069 in Wiltshire got its number. Our Wiki states "late eighties", but it may have been slightly later than that, unless it was a duplicate number in its early days (and I know we can't rule that out).
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?

From the SABRE Wiki: M69 :

The M69 is a motorway connecting the two large cities of Coventry and Leicester, which also links the M1 and M6, avoiding the Catthorpe Interchange. Built as D3M but quite quiet, the M69 shadows the former route of the A46, which is now a mixture of B- and unclassified roads.

Junction 3 with the M1 is unfinished, missing direct sliproads to both the Leicester Outer Ring Road, and from the

... Read More