Smart Motorways and VMS Sign Articles?

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Smart Motorways and VMS Sign Articles?

Post by ManomayLR »

Firstly, the Smart Motorways article needs urgent updating.
Road schemes completed 3 years ago are still under "Planned" and links to the old HA website. Old photos and very high-level info. Not detailed enough for the SABRE Wiki!

Also, I thought of adding an article for each type of VMS from MS1, MS2, MS3, MS4, EMS, CMI and AMI - or at least organizing the page on VMS to include such sections.
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Re: Smart Motorways and VMS Sign Articles?

Post by Big L »

EpicChef wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 16:30 Firstly, the Smart Motorways article needs urgent updating.
Road schemes completed 3 years ago are still under "Planned" and links to the old HA website. Old photos and very high-level info. Not detailed enough for the SABRE Wiki!

Also, I thought of adding an article for each type of VMS from MS1, MS2, MS3, MS4, EMS, CMI and AMI - or at least organizing the page on VMS to include such sections.
You could update it. Anyone can.
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

EpicChef wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 16:30 Firstly, the Smart Motorways article needs urgent updating.

I've been meaning to get around to this for some time.... I was thinking the other day that with your knowledge you'd be perfect to update and add the articles; as you say, even the map is out of date.

I'd be more than happy to help you out if you want to start articles for each type of VMS and to update existing articles?
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Post by ManomayLR »

c2R wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 20:29

I've been meaning to get around to this for some time.... I was thinking the other day that with your knowledge you'd be perfect to update and add the articles; as you say, even the map is out of date.

I'd be more than happy to help you out if you want to start articles for each type of VMS and to update existing articles?
Thank you very much for the offer c2R. I'd love to bring the articles right up to date, but my big weakness is Wikitext code editing! We don't currently have a visual editor (though an extension is available from MediaWiki to add one) and I just started another thread to recommend adding one. On the other thread there's info about my proposals plus a link to the MediaWiki page where the extension for the visual editor feature is available for download.
Though roads may not put a smile on everyone's face, there is one road that always will: the road to home.
ManomayLR
Social Media Admin

Post by ManomayLR »

UPDATE: I’ve used a little trick to help me get my head around the confusing Wikitext syntax.

I’ve copied the source code of the current version of the article and pasted into my personal sandbox on Wikipedia.

I’ve then switched into the visual editor and am now making visual edits.

At the end, I’ll just copy the source code, and paste it back into the article on the SABRE Wiki, adjusting as needed to fit the templates and other links.