Department of Transport, roadworks, and the DPA

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Runwell

Department of Transport, roadworks, and the DPA

Post by Runwell »

Noticed in the last couple of weeks that the One network roadworks map/site no longer lists the nature of work taking place. It will note the organisation carrying out the work (Cadent etc), but no longer specifies the nature of the work taking place e.g. gas main replacement. I noticed in the last fortnight on the A13 roadworks page for the widening project that the details of the specific works taking place had been edited out, so only the road closures are mentioned. Looked on the One network site again over the weekend, and it seems the DoT have new legislation that means they cannot now provide specific information. Not sure if this also affects the general Temporary Prohibition of Traffic notices?

Anybody else know anything more about this? I assume if a street is being closed off, residents will still be informed of the actual reason access to their road is being restricted?
Matthew

Re: Department of Transport, roadworks, and the DPA

Post by Matthew »

It's worth mentioning that One Network is a commercial organisation, not an offshoot of the DfT, but they do provide a useful service to local highway authorities for managing activity.

Part of the changes comes about for how "notices" are now sent. There is a new service that undertakers and highway authorities use. Users of that new service agree to data share their information within and that then gives them a further, enhanced level of data.

There's a bit more about the changes, here.
Opinion is purely my own and all those other exceptions and excuses.
Runwell

Post by Runwell »

Thank you for that link. I'd tried to find further information about the changes, without any joy.

Yes, aware One Network is completely separate. Seem to recall it was a merger of different agencies, such as Elgin.

On a personal note it's frustrating the specific nature of work is now being withheld from the public domain. Some works will be easier to work out - e.g. three months of work for Cadent suggests gas main replacement work. Others, not so.
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

You're welcome.

Just to offer a bit of clarity, Elgin became One Network. That too wasn't an agency.
Opinion is purely my own and all those other exceptions and excuses.