Road numbers in Aberdeen

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

roadphotos

Road numbers in Aberdeen

Post by roadphotos »

There appears to have been a lot of road number changes in Aberdeen. The latest Ordnance Survey (online maps) show a lot of changes in the city. 1 = The A9013, A978, A9012 and A9011 have disappeared completely from the OS maps. 2 = The A93 has been removed from the city centre. 3 = The B983 appears to have changed it's route completely and now runs along South College Street ending at the A956 (North Esplanade Way). The part of the B983 (Mid Stocket Road) that ends at the A92 (North Anderson Drive) appears to have been downgraded to an unclassified minor road (not numbered). 4 = The B991 is now shown running along St Machar Drive between the A96 and A956 (King Street). The B991 had previously been shown running along Bedford Road from the A96 and ending at St Machar Drive. 5 = The B985 is now shown in a completely different part of the city than it used to be. It is shown starting at the B9077 (near the River Dee) and heading south east to the A956 and then heading east along Hareness Road to the Altens Industrial Estate before ending at Coast Road. 6 = A road that had previously been shown as an unclassified minor road is now shown as the B988 on the Ordnance Survey (online maps). Gordon Brae, Gordon's Mills Road, Tillydrone Road and Tillydrone Avenue are now shown as the B988 on the OS (online maps). The B988 is shown starting at the A92 (The Parkway) and crossing the River Don at the Diamond Bridge and ending at St Machar Drive. 7 = The road that was shown as the B9119 is now shown as the A9119 on the latest OS (online maps). Other road number changes are also shown. If this is all correct then it means that there must have been a lot of changes. Of course the OS doesn't have to be right so I thought I'd see if anyone has any more information.
orudge
Site Manager

Re: Road numbers in Aberdeen

Post by orudge »

I saw the A9119 mentioned on the new signs at the “switchback” roundabout but assumed that was just an error. I did read something about ACC reclassifying roads post-bypass, but it sounds like this has been quite extensive! I’ll need to update the wiki... we’ll have a new highest-numbered A-road in the country.

Googling for “a9119 road” does actually show a number of references in council documentation, so it looks like it is an intentional change - I’ll need to do a bit more research.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

“Craibstone Roundabout to Dyce Drive (B984 Airport Road)” also seems to be a new one, from “Appendix 2: Active Travel Action Plan List of Projects”.

Need to do some research and see if I can identify the extents of some of these new classifications. I assume for instance that the B9119 is now effectively truncated at the Westhill/A944 traffic lights, as according to OS the A9119 now seems to run through from the A944 to Denburn Road. The “North East Scotland Roads Hierarchy Study” looks to be worth a read.
Queeg

Post by Queeg »

I must check our maps at work! Sounds like some major changes. Is there any specific reasons for the change?
Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me!

But it'll help.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Google for that NE Roads Hierarchy Study. I think it’s part of the strategy to funnel traffic out of the city to the bypass, and to encourage it along strategic corridors (hence the Diamond Bridge getting a number, for instance), and downgrading older routes that are no longer (or were never) fit for purpose. The document lists roads as “primary”, “secondary” or “local”, and they seem to be mapping pretty much directly to A, B and unclassified roads. B9119 was promoted from secondary to primary for instance, and simply renumbered A9119.
Queeg

Post by Queeg »

I shall take a look. Some of the changes make sense, for example I see West Tullos Road has now been given a B classification.

I’ll take a look at the hierarchy in a bit, thank you for letting me know about it :)
Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me!

But it'll help.
Euan

Post by Euan »

The A945 and B986 also seem to have completely disappeared.

A couple of other changes I can see:

:arrow: A947 - now Riverview Drive around the eastern side of Dyce rather than Victoria Street

:arrow: B990 - moved slightly to the north from Nelson Street onto Mounthooly Way

:arrow: B997 - southern terminus in Bridge of Don is now on North Donside Road having previously followed Scotstown Road all the way.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Euan

Post by Euan »

orudge wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 17:34 “Craibstone Roundabout to Dyce Drive (B984 Airport Road)” also seems to be a new one, from “Appendix 2: Active Travel Action Plan List of Projects”.
Aberdeen City's list of roads from dating from 2015 lists the B984 as Howes Road, Davidson Gardens and Springhill Road in the Northfield area, of course not shown on any OS maps:

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/list_of_roads

The new B984 designation at the airport seems to suggest this other number has been quietly removed, probably rightly so given that part of Howes Road isn't even open to vehicles anymore.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Funnily enough I was reading about the B984 the other day as I came across it on the Seventh Series mapping - interesting that ACC still had it “active”.

I put in an FOI request for all A and B roads in Aberdeen City earlier today, since I can’t find a comprehensive list on their web site, but intend to update OSM and our wiki with what I can reliably discover in the mean time.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

orudge wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 19:57 Google for that NE Roads Hierarchy Study. I think it’s part of the strategy to funnel traffic out of the city to the bypass, and to encourage it along strategic corridors (hence the Diamond Bridge getting a number, for instance), and downgrading older routes that are no longer (or were never) fit for purpose. The document lists roads as “primary”, “secondary” or “local”, and they seem to be mapping pretty much directly to A, B and unclassified roads. B9119 was promoted from secondary to primary for instance, and simply renumbered A9119.
Nice, that gives us a new highest numbered A road by the look of it!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Indeed so - and I think the previously highest-numbered road has now been declassified, though I will wait for some kind of official confirmation before changing the wiki or OSM.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

There appears to be even more changes in Aberdeen than I had previously thought. Interesting that the A93 and B9077 now both seem to end where there are now no other classified roads. Another thing of interest is that north of Aberdeen the latest OS (online maps) now show the A952 and A98 as Non Primary Routes (coloured red) as they had previously shown them both as Primary Routes (coloured green) although the A92 (former A90) in Aberdeen is still shown as a Primary Route which I believe is no longer the case, also the B977 extension north of Balmedie isn't shown.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

roadphotos wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 12:51 Another thing of interest is that north of Aberdeen the latest OS (online maps) now show the A952 and A98 as Non Primary Routes (coloured red) as they had previously shown them both as Primary Routes (coloured green) although the A92 (former A90) in Aberdeen is still shown as a Primary Route which I believe is no longer the case, also the B977 extension north of Balmedie isn't shown.
Neither the A98 nor A952 have been primary routes since the mid-90s (nor has the A93, which often gets coloured green on maps). The A92 is only primary and trunk as far as the A956 junction to the south of Aberdeen, and the new Blackdog junction to the north - the bit within the city is as you say non-primary, and the new signs that are going up are correctly no longer green. The A96 is also now only primary/trunk as far as the Craibstone roundabout - further east is non-primary. Except, temporarily, for the Haudagain roundabout itself, which remains trunk until the 'Haudagain bypass' project is complete.

Somewhat away from Aberdeen, but the OS finally appears to be showing the A91 west of the M90 as non-primary, though it still has the A977 as primary.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

So many changes in Aberdeen it's hard to keep up. Does anyone know what the number is for the road that runs between the A93 and the A90 at the Deeside Junction ?. Maps show 3 possibilities, some have it as a spur of the A93, OS show it as unclassified and I've also seen it shown as the B979.
belgarion

Post by belgarion »

It has probably been labelled the B797 by some because the road directly to the south of the A93 is the B797, but the B797 already heads north of the A93 at the other side of Peterculter, the road that goes up the hill behind the Rob Roy statue to Craigton.

Since the road only links the A90 to the A93 it doesn't need any other number.

Vince
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Yes, I think it’s just unclassified. Though it does, via Culter House Road, provide a northern bypass of Peterculter to the B979 - if the road was S2, I’d consider rerouting the B979 number, but it’s S1 or “S1.5” for the most part.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Also interesting is the 8 seperate sections of the B979 and the strange route the road takes around Aberdeen. Part of the new A90 (between the A92 at Blackdog and the B977) is now on Google Street View so I would guess that it should only be a matter of time before the other parts of the road are on there, the new A956 can also now be viewed. I noticed that on the A90 on the approach to the the B977 junction the road at the junction is signed as the A947 but once your at the roundabout at the end of the slip road the road towards the A947 is correctly signed as the B977 with the A947 in brackets.
belgarion

Post by belgarion »

orudge wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 22:49 Yes, I think it’s just unclassified. Though it does, via Culter House Road, provide a northern bypass of Peterculter to the B979 - if the road was S2, I’d consider rerouting the B979 number, but it’s S1 or “S1.5” for the most part.

Yeah, on Google it technically looks like I could go along Culter House Road, branch off onto what could be Buckleburn Road then onto School Road to get in to Peterculter where some of my cousins live, but I don't want to chance my alloys down that branch off, I'll stick with the main roads.

Vince
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

roadphotos wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 19:16 Part of the new A90 (between the A92 at Blackdog and the B977) is now on Google Street View
Ooh, about time - it wasn’t there a couple of days ago. Though to be honest I’m familiar enough with the bypass itself, but I’m interested in the new signage going up around Aberdeen.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

I can't find anything online about the Aberdeen road number changes. I know most of them have been discussed on here but I don't want to do any changes to the OpenStreetMap until I'm sure that all of the changes shown on the latest Ordnance Survey (online maps) are correct. Does anyone know where I can look online to view these changes ?