Road numbers in Aberdeen

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

orudge
Site Manager

Re: Road numbers in Aberdeen

Post by orudge »

I haven't seen anything concrete on the Aberdeen City Council site; there is a report here that has various proposals, but isn't necessarily an indication of what has actually been accepted and carried out.

I put in a FOI request with the council for a list of their A and B roads (and routes thereof) on the 14th - I should have a response by the 9th hopefully.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

The response to my FOI request came through, though it looks like it may still require a bit of piecing together to identify the exact routings of each new road. There is also a list of the road numbers that are no longer in use.

The file is too large to upload here though and I'm not sure if our wiki accepts PDF files. I've put in on my web site here for now.

I have done some work on updating the routes on the wiki (and OSM) but will look more at this when I have a bit of time.
Queeg

Post by Queeg »

Owen,

Fantastic piece of information! I shall have a good read through it later but very interesting to see the map. A fair change.

Many thanks for obtaining the FOI reply and sharing :)
Pudding can't fill the emptiness inside me!

But it'll help.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

I think I've updated all the roads on OpenStreetMap now. It also looks like the Berryden Corridor will become an A-road once complete - an extension of the A9119 presumably. I'll continue with my work on the SABRE wiki shortly.

EDIT: I think the main pages for the roads are now up-to-date, with roads that have been completely rerouted moved to defunct pages.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Thanks for the information on the road number changes in Aberdeen. It's great to see a map of these changes as there are so many. It looks like the changes shown on the latest OS are all correct but the newly classified B984 isn't shown.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

The B984 is now shown on the latest OS maps but it's shown running north of Dyce Drive all the way to the airport. The Wiki only shows the B984 between the A96 and Dyce Drive (the road north of Dyce Drive is shown as unclassified) so I'm not sure which is correct. Does anyone know where the B984 ends ?.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

The details I put into the wiki and OSM were based on the ACC document I posted, but it’s possible I may have made mistakes (or the council has!)
Euan

Post by Euan »

Not too long back I made an enquiry to Aberdeen City Council regarding changes to the numbers for C and U class roads within the city on the basis of the hierarchy review following on from Owen's FoI request about the changes to the A roads and B roads. I wrote to the council:
I am aware that a recent review of various road classifications within the boundaries of the city was carried out and resulted in some roads changing class and therefore changing route number (B9119, A978 etc). I already know about newly assigned, reused and discarded numbers for A and B class roads from a previous request made a few weeks ago, but I would like to ask if any newly designated C and U class roads have road numbers attached. I believe most of these numbers end in a “C” suffix while some in the south of Aberdeen end with a “K” suffix. If there are numbers for these new C and U class roads, I would therefore like to request details regarding which numbers have been assigned to each new C and U road based on the recent hierarchy review.
The council responded to the request with the following information which may be of interest to the SABRE wiki:
The following are new 'C' class roads in Aberdeen resulting from the Roads Hierarchy review:
Willowbank Road - C93
Springbank Terrace - C93
Wellington Place - C93
Riverside Place – C945
Riverside Drive – C945
Victoria Street (Parkhill Roundabout to Stoneywood Road / Riverview Drive Roundabout) – C947
Hilton Street – C978
Leslie Road – C978
Westburn Drive – C978
Argyll Crescent – C978
Argyll Place – C978
Westfield Road – C978
Craigie Loanings – C978
Albert Street – C978
Waverley Place – C978
Victoria Street – C978
Alford Place – C978
Ashgrove Road West - C9011
Rosehill Drive – C9012
Holburn Street – C9013
Mid Stocket Road - C983
Beechgrove Terrace (Mid Stocket Road to Rosemount Place) - C983
Rosemount Place (Beechgrove Terrace to South Mount Street) - C983
South Mount Street - - C983
Rosemount Viaduct (south Mount Street to Union Terrace) - C983
Watson Street – C985
Esslemont Avenue – C985
Rose Street – C985
Thistle Street – C985
Chapel Street – C985
Clifton Road – 986
Bedford Road – C991
Scotstown Road (North Donside Road to Balgownie Road) – C997
Balgownie Road – C997
No new K-class roads were introduced as a result of the review. No unclassified roads have been given a number as a result of the review.
We handled your request for information in accordance with the provisions of the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002.
If you are dissatisfied with the way we have handled your request or the content of it, you are entitled to ask for an appeal. You can do this from your Aberdeen City Council self service account.
For more information on your right to review, please visit Freedom of Information Review and Appeals.
We hope this helps with your request.
Essentially all of the routes recommended in the review to be given C class status have retained the number of the former/defunct A or B route (for example, A978 becomes C978). However what I am unsure about is whether it should be assumed that the suffix convention for lower road classes in the Grampian region applies here in the event that the numbers are added to the wiki. The historical Aberdeenshire component of Aberdeen lies in the "C" zone of Grampian and so C978 would really be C978C, C9013 would be C9013C etc. I am pretty sure some other C roads in the area have in recent times been referenced without the letter suffix attached. Any thoughts?
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Was the B977 definitely extended to the north of Balmedie when the new dual carriageway A90 was completed. The Wiki says that part of the former A90 from Balmedie to the A975 is now an extension of the B977 and Google Street View shows the same but all other maps and atlases show it as an unclassified minor road (not numbered). Also none of the new road signs at the A90/B977 junction at Balmedie or the t junction with the A975 have the road which is the former A90 marked as the B977. The new signage can be seen on GSV and there's no mention of the B977, the signs at each end only have the destination which is Balmedie (village). I was wondering if anyone knows for sure if the road is the B977 or unclassified.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

I think the wiki might be incorrect here (which may well be my fault!), as there doesn't seem to be any evidence for the B977 number extending along the former A90.

And thanks for the list, Euan, that's rather interesting that they have just taken the existing road numbers but made them 'C'! I have no idea about the suffixes, I could well imagine that the folk responsible for the numbering now have no idea about any conventions that may have been in place in the Grampian days.
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

I still can't be sure whether the B977 has been extended north of Balmedie or not, if it hasn't then why would Google Street View and OpenStreetMap show the road (the former A90) as the B977 in the first place. After the downgrading of the A90 you would think that they would simply show the road as unclassified.
Euan

Post by Euan »

orudge wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:03 And thanks for the list, Euan, that's rather interesting that they have just taken the existing road numbers but made them 'C'! I have no idea about the suffixes, I could well imagine that the folk responsible for the numbering now have no idea about any conventions that may have been in place in the Grampian days.
I suspect that may be the case. Any conventions that did exist would obviously be more difficult to stick with now that Grampian is covered by three different council areas. On that basis it differs from Dumfries and Galloway who have continued to use suffixes from the days of the regional council for some very recent class III numbers in Dumfries.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

All of the A90 around Aberdeen is now shown on GSV
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

It looks like the OS have finally downgraded the A92 (former A90) at Aberdeen from Primary to Non Primary. I think this means that they now have all of the roads in the Aberdeen area correct.