Queensferry Crossing opening (on M90 page)

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

wrinkly

Queensferry Crossing opening (on M90 page)

Post by wrinkly »

The M90 page contains a sentence that appears to claim that the Queensferry Crossing was opened 50 years to the day after the Forth Road Bridge. I think the correct figure is 53 years minus a few days - not so memorable.

I could just delete the sentence but it's been there since September 2017 so I thought I'd check first - am I misreading it? Is it trying to say something different from its apparent meaning?
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: Queensferry Crossing opening (on M90 page)

Post by c2R »

In my view, if it's inaccurate it needs to go!
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
wrinkly

Post by wrinkly »

I deleted the sentence and made some other changes, but like several other pages on motorways, it could benefit from more work.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

wrinkly wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 14:39 I deleted the sentence and made some other changes, but like several other pages on motorways, it could benefit from more work.
Thanks for that - yes, there's many pages that could benefit from people getting involved - particularly where we've previously relied on links to other sites that have subsequently disappeared.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Post by Duncan macknight »

Given my work on Glasgow’s Motorways I do have a complete (and accurate!) list of opening dates for the M90 plus several others. Would it be ok for me to add them to the “Opening dates” list on the M90 Page rather than having a link to CBRD which got its Scotland Opening dates from The Motorway Archive, a Good resource but not 100% accurate when it’s comes to Scotland.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Duncan macknight wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 15:02 Given my work on Glasgow’s Motorways I do have a complete (and accurate!) list of opening dates for the M90 plus several others. Would it be ok for me to add them to the “Opening dates” list on the M90 Page rather than having a link to CBRD which got its Scotland Opening dates from The Motorway Archive, a Good resource but not 100% accurate when it’s comes to Scotland.
Yes, please do - any wiki contibutions gratefully received!
Duncan macknight
Committee Member

Post by Duncan macknight »

c2R wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 15:49
Duncan macknight wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 15:02 Given my work on Glasgow’s Motorways I do have a complete (and accurate!) list of opening dates for the M90 plus several others. Would it be ok for me to add them to the “Opening dates” list on the M90 Page rather than having a link to CBRD which got its Scotland Opening dates from The Motorway Archive, a Good resource but not 100% accurate when it’s comes to Scotland.
Yes, please do - any wiki contibutions gratefully received!
will do!
jnty

Post by jnty »

Reading through the M90 article I notice it says:
The Queensferry Crossing now forms a non-motorway (but nevertheless Special Road) gap in an otherwise continuous motorway from Edinburgh to Perth.
I think this is wrong on at least one count - there is another non-motorway section from Queensferry Junction just south of the bridge to where the A90 diverges towards Edinburgh - but also all signage, mapping and publicity when it opened would suggest that the bridge itself is a motorway. If it isn't, more explanation is needed as to why, I think. Can anyone else shed light on this?

From the SABRE Wiki: M90 :

The M90 is a link between the M9 near Kirkliston and Perth, acting as the main road between Edinburgh and northern Scotland. It is the northernmost motorway in the UK, and Craigend Interchange south of Perth is the northernmost complex interchange.

For over 50 years the M90 was confined to the north side of the Firth of Forth, beginning less than two miles north of the Forth Road Bridge. In recent years the

... Read More