B3800 - Chapel Lane, Selly Oak

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Chris Bertram

B3800 - Chapel Lane, Selly Oak

Post by Chris Bertram »

I'm considering adding this to the Wiki - it's brand new (the number, not the actual road), and has been created as part of the Selly Oak Triangle works. I just need to know from anyone who's driven it recently, is it two-way in both directions, and is it limited access from the Harborne Lane end?
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: B3800 - Chapel Lane, Selly Oak

Post by Steven »

B3800??? In Birmingham?

Oh, for heaven's sake. Is Birmingham City Council really that completely clueless? Mind you, the B38 should have answered that question...
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Steven wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:59 B3800??? In Birmingham?

Oh, for heaven's sake. Is Birmingham City Council really that completely clueless? Mind you, the B38 should have answered that question...
It's all part of the same scheme, so the same numbering "expert" is clearly at work.

Anyway, B3800
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

From the SABRE Wiki: B3800 :

The B3800 is very short link road in Birmingham, cutting a corner between Harborne Lane and Bristol Road by using Chapel Lane.

It was created in 2021 as part of the Selly Oak Triangle works. With A38 being diverted away from Selly Oak centre along the new Aston Webb Boulevard and taking over part of A4040 along Harborne Lane, including dualling this section up to the Great Oak junction, this left Chapel Lane, which had formerly taken A4040

... Read More
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Chris Bertram wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 13:25

It's all part of the same scheme, so the same numbering "expert" is clearly at work.

Anyway, B3800
Had I been involved with some of the work, it was all a done deal before I started my current job, I'd have made sure that such nonsense never happened. Alas.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck

From the SABRE Wiki: B3800 :

The B3800 is very short link road in Birmingham, cutting a corner between Harborne Lane and Bristol Road by using Chapel Lane.

It was created in 2021 as part of the Selly Oak Triangle works. With A38 being diverted away from Selly Oak centre along the new Aston Webb Boulevard and taking over part of A4040 along Harborne Lane, including dualling this section up to the Great Oak junction, this left Chapel Lane, which had formerly taken A4040

... Read More
nick_dunn

Post by nick_dunn »

Chris Bertram wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 10:46 I'm considering adding this to the Wiki - it's brand new (the number, not the actual road), and has been created as part of the Selly Oak Triangle works. I just need to know from anyone who's driven it recently, is it two-way in both directions, and is it limited access from the Harborne Lane end?
Well I feel like a right idiot now. I drove this a couple of weeks ago and it's definitely two-way along Chapel Lane. However, having been concentrating so hard on the new signage I didn't fully notice the access from Harborne Lane. I believe it is limited ie you can't turn right into Chapel Lane from Harborne Lane northbound. I will confirm this in a few weeks unless someone beats me to it.
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

I've been looking all over the site for a guide on how to create a trace, but either there isn't one (unlikely) or I'm looking in the wrong places. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

Chris Bertram wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:03 I've been looking all over the site for a guide on how to create a trace, but either there isn't one (unlikely) or I'm looking in the wrong places. Can someone point me in the right direction?
SABRE_Maps/Tracing is your friend here.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

From the SABRE Wiki: SABRE Maps/Tracing :

As well as viewing maps, SABRE Maps provides route traces of most British and Irish roads. These come from contemporary OpenStreetMap mapping, but only for current roads. For historical or defunct roads, we need to roll up our sleeves and create them ourselves. This where the ability to trace an existing map comes in.

Please note the trace functionality is fairly new, and further usability enhancements are planned.

It should also be noted that as tracing from OpenStreetMap is a

... Read More
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Steven wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:25
Chris Bertram wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:03 I've been looking all over the site for a guide on how to create a trace, but either there isn't one (unlikely) or I'm looking in the wrong places. Can someone point me in the right direction?
SABRE_Maps/Tracing is your friend here.
Thank you, I knew there had to be something.

From the SABRE Wiki: SABRE Maps/Tracing :

As well as viewing maps, SABRE Maps provides route traces of most British and Irish roads. These come from contemporary OpenStreetMap mapping, but only for current roads. For historical or defunct roads, we need to roll up our sleeves and create them ourselves. This where the ability to trace an existing map comes in.

Please note the trace functionality is fairly new, and further usability enhancements are planned.

It should also be noted that as tracing from OpenStreetMap is a

... Read More
roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

The B3800 isn't on OpenStreetMap, I would add it myself but I don't think that I would be able to point to much evidence that it exists. Is it signed ?
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

roadphotos wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 20:30 The B3800 isn't on OpenStreetMap, I would add it myself but I don't think that I would be able to point to much evidence that it exists. Is it signed ?
Yes, at both ends.

roadphotos

Post by roadphotos »

Thanks
ais523

Post by ais523 »

I did point out the existence of the zone system during the consultation for this junction, but it was mostly with reference to the B384 (which they said there were no plans to change). I wasn't expecting this road to become classified, and particularly not to have its own number. (It is in a sense a slip road – you need to use the B3800 in order to turn right from the A38 northbound to the A4040 anticlockwise, because there's a no-right-turn at the direct junction between the two roads. But that isn't normally enough reason to give a road a number of its own.)