C Roads in Derbyshire

Found anything interesting on "The Roader's Digest" - the SABRE Wiki? Talk about articles in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Morseman

C Roads in Derbyshire

Post by Morseman »

Hi, I've just joined the group and have read through a few threads on the discussion boards.

My 1st question is about C class roads in the Derbyshire area, in that I cannot find a list of any.

Does Derbyshire have this class of road? I've discovered some in the Sheffield area, which isn't too far away if Derbyshire doesn't have this class of road.

I'd like to start describing some of the local C class roads that currently do not have a description and have been reading through a few that already exist to get an idea of what sort of information to include.

Thanks for any advice or help.
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Re: C Roads in Derbyshire

Post by Steven »

Both Derbyshire and Derby Councils do have Class III (or Classified Unnumbered roads) - "C class" is a colloquialism, and not always correct as some authorities use other letters to denote them. However, there isn't a nice simple list of them that's available as far as I know; although there might be somewhere on the two council websites.

Information is available on the National Street Gazetteer as to which roads are Class III (though not their numbers, if any), but again it's not simple to pull the data out of it for members of the public.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

From the SABRE Wiki: Classified Unnumbered road :

A Classified unnumbered road, or Class III road, is a category of road in the United Kingdom, recognised by the Department for Transport. In importance, they are between Classified Numbered roads (also known as Class II or B roads), and Unclassified roads.

Designating or de-designating a road as "classified unnumbered" requires the approval of the Secretary of State for Transport.

Suggestions for increasing the classification of roads started almost

... Read More
Morseman

Post by Morseman »

Steven wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:59 Both Derbyshire and Derby Councils do have Class III (or Classified Unnumbered roads) - "C class" is a colloquialism, and not always correct as some authorities use other letters to denote them
Yes, sorry for only using the colloquialism, I was just trying to kep my 1st post short.

I did find a link, in the Class III list that was marked as 'Derbyshire' but there were no roads listed.

I'll see if I can find any details on the Derbyshire CC website.

Thanks.

From the SABRE Wiki: Classified Unnumbered road :

A Classified unnumbered road, or Class III road, is a category of road in the United Kingdom, recognised by the Department for Transport. In importance, they are between Classified Numbered roads (also known as Class II or B roads), and Unclassified roads.

Designating or de-designating a road as "classified unnumbered" requires the approval of the Secretary of State for Transport.

Suggestions for increasing the classification of roads started almost

... Read More
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Derbyshire County Council hold the Definitive maps for public rights of way. Unfortunately they don't seem to have these fully online at present. There is however a set of OS maps

See
https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/leisure/c ... ement.aspx

and

https://apps.derbyshire.gov.uk/applicat ... 8B3902BDE5
Morseman

Post by Morseman »

KeithW wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 13:09 Derbyshire County Council hold the Definitive maps for public rights of way. Unfortunately they don't seem to have these fully online at present. There is however a set of OS map
Thanks for the links. I've been on the portal, but it seems that it doesn't show any numbers below the "B" categories. I'll go into the local library and see what information they have.

The one that I found in the Sheffield area, as an example, is the C46 with three entries but no descriptions as yet. These being St. Michael's Road to Yew Lane, Yew Lane to Church Street and then Cross Hill to High Street, but the OS map doesn't show the "C" number, just the B6087 which I guess replaced the older road which is marked as running in parallel in parts?

[url https://streetmap.co.uk/map?x=434961&y= ... s&mapp=map][/url]

I'll have a go at the C46, as it already has an entry, and see how it goes.

Cheers.
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Morseman wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 13:24 Thanks for the links. I've been on the portal, but it seems that it doesn't show any numbers below the "B" categories. I'll go into the local library and see what information they have.

The one that I found in the Sheffield area, as an example, is the C46 with three entries but no descriptions as yet. These being St. Michael's Road to Yew Lane, Yew Lane to Church Street and then Cross Hill to High Street, but the OS map doesn't show the "C" number, just the B6087 which I guess replaced the older road which is marked as running in parallel in parts?

[url https://streetmap.co.uk/map?x=434961&y= ... s&mapp=map][/url]

I'll have a go at the C46, as it already has an entry, and see how it goes.

Cheers.
In any event many if not most unclassified roads dont have C numbers just a street name.
Morseman

Post by Morseman »

KeithW wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 14:30 In any event many if not most unclassified roads dont have C numbers just a street name.
Which will make the task of describing the roads that had the 'C' classification in Derbyshire probably impossible then.

I'll look for another way to add to the database.

Thanks.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

It looks like they do, but that they consider it too costly to provide: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ing-650462

If you're after C roads from other areas that we don't hold, James Carters FOIs often provide good pointers

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/user/jam ... his+person
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Steven
SABRE Maps Coordinator

Post by Steven »

c2R wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 07:14 It looks like they do, but that they consider it too costly to provide: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... ing-650462

If you're after C roads from other areas that we don't hold, James Carters FOIs often provide good pointers

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/user/jam ... his+person
That was six years ago mind, it could be worth asking them again as that definitely reads like a bit of a fobbing off answer.
Steven
Motorway Historian

Founder Member, SABRE ex-Presidents' Corner

Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Euan

Post by Euan »

Morseman wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:44 Hi, I've just joined the group and have read through a few threads on the discussion boards.

My 1st question is about C class roads in the Derbyshire area, in that I cannot find a list of any.

Does Derbyshire have this class of road? I've discovered some in the Sheffield area, which isn't too far away if Derbyshire doesn't have this class of road.

I'd like to start describing some of the local C class roads that currently do not have a description and have been reading through a few that already exist to get an idea of what sort of information to include.

Thanks for any advice or help.
This road maintenance plan by Derbyshire County Council from around 2015 might be helpful:

https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/site-elem ... px-fyp.pdf

All road segments are numbered and are grouped by classification and the type of work to be carried out on them throughout the 2016-2021 period. Recommendations for the subsequent five years up to 2026 are there as well. Looking at the A and B class segments in particular, nearly every number within the remit of the authority makes an appearance somewhere in the lists. So, the vast majority of the C class roads within the authority are probably there as well. Obviously none of the roads within Derbyshire City will be on the list so if the C class numbers are based on a county-wide system it will be incomplete.
E-roads, M-roads, A-roads, N-roads, B-roads, R-roads, C-roads, L-roads, U-roads, footpaths
Morseman

Post by Morseman »

Euan wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 09:19 This road maintenance plan by Derbyshire County Council from around 2015 might be helpful:
Thanks for the link. I've downloaded a copy and will extract the 'C' class roads listed and see which ones are in my general area.

Cheers.