Highest speed limit in Europe?

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

User avatar
Was92now625
Member
Posts: 546
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 00:29
Location: near A625

Re: Highest speed limit in Europe?

Post by Was92now625 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 22:27

the cheesecake man wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 13:10
philc285 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 15:48
Now obviously the answer to ‘where are the highest speed limits in Europe’ cannot be Germany, because infinity is not a limit.
You could argue they have a limit of 186,000 miles per second! :devil: :stir: :coat:
and also that the road itself is rotating about the Earth's axis at around 700 mph and that the Earth is moving around the Sun at 18 miles per second :D

User avatar
the cheesecake man
Member
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 13:21
Location: Sheffield

Re: Highest speed limit in Europe?

Post by the cheesecake man » Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:54

Was92now625 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 22:27
the cheesecake man wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 13:10
philc285 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 15:48
Now obviously the answer to ‘where are the highest speed limits in Europe’ cannot be Germany, because infinity is not a limit.
You could argue they have a limit of 186,000 miles per second! :devil: :stir: :coat:
and also that the road itself is rotating about the Earth's axis at around 700 mph and that the Earth is moving around the Sun at 18 miles per second :D
and the entire solar system is orbiting the galactic centre at 514,000 mph

and the galaxy is whizzing towards the Andromeda Galaxy

and the entire universe is expanding
:coat:

User avatar
nowster
Treasurer
Posts: 12451
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2004 16:06
Location: Manchester

Re: Highest speed limit in Europe?

Post by nowster » Fri Oct 04, 2019 14:04

"Can we have your liver, then?" :twisted:

User avatar
the cheesecake man
Member
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 13:21
Location: Sheffield

Re: Highest speed limit in Europe?

Post by the cheesecake man » Sat Oct 05, 2019 18:37

Oh I forgot to point out that every vehicle on every road in Europe is moving east a few centimetres per year!

User avatar
vlad
Member
Posts: 2338
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 16:20
Location: Still near the A34

Re: Highest speed limit in Europe?

Post by vlad » Sat Oct 05, 2019 19:23

the cheesecake man wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 18:37
Oh I forgot to point out that every vehicle on every road in Europe is moving east a few centimetres per year!
Even those that are driving in a different direction? :)

If you're talking about plate tectonics then many vehicles in Iceland are moving steadily westwards.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath

User avatar
the cheesecake man
Member
Posts: 279
Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2019 13:21
Location: Sheffield

Re: Highest speed limit in Europe?

Post by the cheesecake man » Mon Oct 07, 2019 13:11

vlad wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 19:23
the cheesecake man wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 18:37
Oh I forgot to point out that every vehicle on every road in Europe is moving east a few centimetres per year!
Even those that are driving in a different direction? :)
Of course, although other motions may exist at the same time giving a net motion in another direction.
If you're talking about plate tectonics then many vehicles in Iceland are moving steadily westwards.
Or we could measure relative to the Greenwich Meridian in which case there is not plate tectonic movement in Europe and the mid-Atlantic Ridge is moving despite being the source of the movement!

Are we off-topic enough yet?! :devil:

User avatar
ScottB5411
Assistant Site Manager
Posts: 3631
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 20:04
Location: St. Louis, Missouri, USA

Re: Highest speed limit in Europe?

Post by ScottB5411 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 18:14

Several sections of autoroute in Austria were electronically signed at 160kph at one point, off peak, they may still be, 2012 was the last time I was there.
How about some more beans Mr. Taggart?

User avatar
Vierwielen
Member
Posts: 3517
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 21:21
Location: Hampshire

Re: Highest speed limit in Europe?

Post by Vierwielen » Thu Oct 10, 2019 22:56

Was92now625 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 22:27
the cheesecake man wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 13:10
philc285 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 15:48
Now obviously the answer to ‘where are the highest speed limits in Europe’ cannot be Germany, because infinity is not a limit.
You could argue they have a limit of 186,000 miles per second! :devil: :stir: :coat:
and also that the road itself is rotating about the Earth's axis at around 700 mph and that the Earth is moving around the Sun at 18 miles per second :D
... but once you take relativity into account, you have a limit of 299792.458 km/s regardless of any other movements. If you don't believe me, ask Mr Einstein. :stir:

User avatar
FosseWay
Committee Member
Posts: 13388
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2006 22:26
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden

Re: Highest speed limit in Europe?

Post by FosseWay » Sat Oct 12, 2019 14:08

Micro The Maniac wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 13:03
philc285 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 08:34
To Micro: yes, of course there are many speed-limited sections of Autobahn. But which stretches of Autobahn have ‘Tempo 140’? - I can’t see any reference to them on-line.
Maybe I'm wrong... but I recall the autobahn from Groningen (in NL) to Bremen was 140 once cross the border?

I'll check next time :p
That bit is mostly derestricted IIRC with 120 around major junctions.

Post Reply