Australian Motorways

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Berk

Re: Australian Motorways

Post by Berk » Thu Dec 19, 2019 08:19

linuxrocks wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:04
Gav wrote:
Fri Nov 28, 2014 07:25
And they also allow bikes not on lane three though.... ;-)
In South Australia, bikes were allowed on the South Eastern Freeway until the Crafers exit (the first). Riding up there was damn scarey, especially the Devils Elbow. Coming down was worse, often resulting in smoking brake blocks! With the opening of the Heysen Tunnels, which bypasses the Devils Elbow, bike now have their own lane, which I think eventually finds its way onto the old road. I'm going back at Christmas and if I can borrow a bike, I'll have a look.

Here is a link to the start of the bike track. The octagonal building is the old Toll House, which operated from 1841 to 1847. https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-34.964 ... 312!8i6656
I’ll tell you what though, heading down to Crafers is still damned steep (and twisty). And they have speed cameras too!! :shock:
What I don’t know about passports isn’t worth knowing!!

Peter Freeman

Post by Peter Freeman » Sat Dec 21, 2019 04:44

crazyknightsfan wrote:
Thu Dec 19, 2019 03:48
All rural freeways have 110km/h limits in Aus, as do the D2 parts of the Hume Highway which have at-grade crossings. Some major S2 highways in western NSW and western QLD also have 110km/h limits.
And four major S2 highways, totalling 3000km, in the Northern Territory have a 130km/h limit.

roadtester
Social Media Admin

Post by roadtester » Fri Jan 03, 2020 22:58

Not quite on topic - it's not about an Australian motorway but it is about an Australian road upgrade - the Tanami Road, which is to be sealed, a project that doesn't appear to be universally popular:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-01-04/ ... d/11793386
Electrophorus Electricus

Peter Freeman

Post by Peter Freeman » Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:00

I've been hoping for years that this route would be sealed, as have virtually all locals and the NT and WA governments. It will cut hundreds of km from the Alice-to-Kimberley journey. The 'adventurers' who want to keep it rugged are a selfish minority. Note that 235M$ is only a small part of the required budget: the job will be staged and take many years to complete.

Berk

Post by Berk » Sat Jan 04, 2020 21:08

Looking at the map, it really is the only direct route between Broome and Alice.

The ABC article mentions that some sorts of freight can’t easily be carried at present, due to road conditions, vibrations and so on.

I wonder whether a concrete pavement could be used. You get that quite a lot on other Aussie motorways. Would make sense from a maintenance point of view.

Peter Freeman

Post by Peter Freeman » Fri Jan 31, 2020 06:45

Enceladus wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 02:25
Just out of interest, is there a major programme of motorway construction in Australia currently?
This link might interest you. It's not really about plans: it lists the major motorways at present (with significant omissions!). It does get updated and so is not too out-of-date, but the way the updates are inserted make it a bit ragged to read through.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freeways_in_Australia

AU does have some roads discussion sites too - but not quite Sabre ....

crazyknightsfan

Post by crazyknightsfan » Mon Feb 03, 2020 05:16

Berk wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 21:08
Looking at the map, it really is the only direct route between Broome and Alice.

The ABC article mentions that some sorts of freight can’t easily be carried at present, due to road conditions, vibrations and so on.

I wonder whether a concrete pavement could be used. You get that quite a lot on other Aussie motorways. Would make sense from a maintenance point of view.
Given the scale of the project I doubt it will be anything other than a chip seal. There just isn't the money for 800km of concrete pavement.

Most rental car companies won't even let you take their vehicles (even 4WDs) on the Tanami Road due to the damage it does to vehicles.

Berk

Post by Berk » Thu Feb 06, 2020 22:38

Not just there, anywhere. Except in Tas, they seem a bit more used to unsealed roads (although there aren’t that many more than on the mainland).

Working out where to go in Australia, it was crucial to understand which routes used sealed roads, and which ones didn’t.

Given that you’re not covered for “off road” stuff (and that includes unsealed roads), I decided to give them a miss. Maybe another time.

crazyknightsfan

Post by crazyknightsfan » Fri Feb 07, 2020 01:13

Berk wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 22:38
Not just there, anywhere. Except in Tas, they seem a bit more used to unsealed roads (although there aren’t that many more than on the mainland).

Working out where to go in Australia, it was crucial to understand which routes used sealed roads, and which ones didn’t.

Given that you’re not covered for “off road” stuff (and that includes unsealed roads), I decided to give them a miss. Maybe another time.
Lots of rental companies will let you take their 4WD vehicles on unsealed roads, I do it all the time. But the Tanami Road, and a handful of others, are specifically listed as 'no go' roads even for 4WDs in most rental company Terms.