Unfinished German autobahns

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

shawmat

Unfinished German autobahns

Post by shawmat » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:29

The pre-War Todt programme building the German autobahn network was hugely ambitious but fizzled out around 1941 as workers were drafted into the German military. I have come across a map (link below) that appears to show almost the final state reached in 1941. It covers eastern German (as it was), Czechoslovakia, and Poland. Autobahns are shown as complete, in progress and planned.

North-west of Berlin, the route to Hamburg was under construction. But is was only completed in the 1980s, and I have seen a photo of it being used by horse riders during the 40-year gap. The roads between Berlin and Dresden are shown as being under construction – I am sure they were completed before 1945.

The main autobahn to Breslau (now Wrocław) was built with only one carriageway, which remains as it was. The second carriageway was added around 2000 (I think), built with a shoulder to motorway standard, so you have an interesting case of a road being classified a motorway on one side, not the other.

There are a couple of sections in Czech and Slovakia that can still be traced on the ground that were not completed. These were intended to connect Silesia and Austria across occupied Czechoslovak territory. I cannot, however, find any evidence of the planned route sweeping through the Sudetenland (the area south-east of Dresden) ever commenced.

The “Berlinka”, linking Berlin to Königsberg (now Kaliningrad), was well under way on German territory, but the Polish Corridor west of Danzig (now Gdansk) was only occupied in 1939 and the road did not reach there in time.

https://timetableworld.com/ttw-viewer?t ... fffed80ec9

WHBM

Re: Unfinished German autobahns

Post by WHBM » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:49

shawmat wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:29

The main autobahn to Breslau (now Wrocław) was built with only one carriageway, which remains as it was. The second carriageway was added around 2000 (I think), built with a shoulder to motorway standard, so you have an interesting case of a road being classified a motorway on one side, not the other.
I drove down this one, SE from Berlin, through to the turn for Lubin, most of the way to Wroclaw, in 1990 in my XR3i. It was dual then, and obviously had been since WW2 days. Concrete construction, a constant vibration, plus a ker-thunk, ker-thunk, ker-thunk over all the expansion joints and the occasional ker-WHAM over a repair, especially at bridges, some of which required severe temporary speed limits. Both carriageways were notably dilapadated and at what passed for junctions, which had no deceleration lanes, the exits had in some cases completely deteriorated and been filled with gravel.

I see on Google that it has been reconstructed, in concrete, which itself has required asphalt repair patching, but still with no shoulders.

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.2781646 ... 312!8i6656

shawmat

Post by shawmat » Thu Oct 15, 2020 15:47

In the picture, you can see the original carriageway heading SE, concrete, no shoulder. The NW direction was added more recently. This is the A18 between the German border and the junction with the A4, known as the A18/E36. TThe A4 was completed quite recently, and involved upgrading the whole original motorway past Wroclaw to Katowice. In Wroclaw, there is still a filling station in the Y of an exit (courtesy of Google).
Autobahn Poland.JPG
Wroclaw.JPG

booshank

Post by booshank » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:35

shawmat wrote:
Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:29

Wot, no (half) D2 ALR autobahn? ;) I thought a motorway was just a road with a piece of paper anyway.

bothar

Post by bothar » Sat Oct 17, 2020 01:26

Some related stuff in the previous thread.
"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368

roadtester
Social Media Admin

Post by roadtester » Sat Oct 17, 2020 01:33

bothar wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 01:26
Some related stuff in the previous thread.
Also here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=40837
Electrophorus Electricus

shawmat

Post by shawmat » Sat Oct 17, 2020 17:47

Thanks for the many links. That should give me some evening viewing...

The map I shared deserves a close look. I'm hoping that people will comment on the various bits that were not finished. Strecke 46 is wholly within Germany, and is beginning to get some attention from local German explorers. But what about the bits in Czech? And Poland? You can see them in satellite pictures, but who has explored them?

https://timetableworld.com/ttw-viewer?t ... fffed80ec9