Iceland Review: Tunnel Trouble

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

J--M--B

Iceland Review: Tunnel Trouble

Post by J--M--B »

An update on new road tunnels in Iceland.

Tunnel Trouble
JMB
Fort William
http://www.mbriscoe.me.uk

"Give me the third best technology. The second best won't be ready in time. The best will never be ready." Robert Watson-Watt
KeithW

Re: Iceland Review: Tunnel Trouble

Post by KeithW »

I really wonder just how wise it is to build long tunnels on an island that sits on top of the mid Atlantic ridge and is one of the most geologically unstable bits of the planet.
Burns

Post by Burns »

At least they actually build the things. Here, there's a 30+ year wait before they even consider saying maybe.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

KeithW wrote:I really wonder just how wise it is to build long tunnels on an island that sits on top of the mid Atlantic ridge and is one of the most geologically unstable bits of the planet.
The tunnel is about 200 km from the are where the two tectonic plates are being torn apart. Many years ago I visited a spot where a piece of metal in an inverted "U" was emebdded in the ground, each leg on a different side of the plate. The metal was then cut and the tectonic movement (measured in cm/yr) could be observed.