Favourite non-UK road to drive on?

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

RJDG14

Re: Favourite non-UK road to drive on?

Post by RJDG14 »

I'm pretty into the N15 Barnesmore Gap. Top that off with Ring by The Connells and I love it (the band's music goes well to the landscape around there; the surname Connell originates in Ireland and they have quite a celtic influenced sound even though they're from North Carolina).
RJDG14

See my Geograph profile here - http://www.geograph.org.uk/profile/74193
The Swindon Files - Swindon's modern history - http://rjdg14.altervista.org/swindon/

----
If I break a policy designed only to protect me and nobody else, have I really broken anything?
LeedsKing

Post by LeedsKing »

Autobahn 7, especially in the Kasseler Berge. It's so curvy at high speeds it's frightening. Even at night, lorries pop out from the right and fast cars with even newer suspension than you want to pass you, so you need to change lanes all the time. A test even for supercars. It shows how roads should work. 90% of UK drivers have not learned the lane discipline and anticipation skills to drive it.
-------------------------------------------------
Where we're going, we DO need roads

Ford Focus Ghia
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

The coast road between Alghero and Bosa in Sardinia.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Hmm. I've only driven in France; Switzerland; Italy; Spain; South Africa; USA, and on the Greek Islands of Corfu and Cephalonia; Belgium; Luxembourg, and Germany. The last three of those only to get to another county and the rest not extensively. Within that limited selection:-

France: On the N205 on the way up to the Mont Blanc Tunnel/Chamonix with its crossover carriageways.
Italy: On the A7 to Genoa from Milano. Similar swapping carriageways. One old road with a second lane put in and a new build carriageway. Later the A12/E80 going down the coast. Hills/mountains. Pahh! We'll just slam right though them. Ravines. Build a bridge.
South Africa: Driving about 25 miles on dirt roads back from Madikwe to the R556. Simply because it's like nothing else I have driven on.
Cephalonia. The Coast Road. A lot of it unfenced, save for the worst bends when I did it in 1996. Hundreds of feet drops did concentrate the mind. The way down to Myrtos Beach, I see, is still pleasingly unfenced.
igro49

Post by igro49 »

Route 42 (or Route 9) along the Rhine gorge between Ruedesheim / Bingen and Koblenz. Scenery is unbelievable, drove it several times and would be happy to do it once again.

> Austria the Krimil falls toll road, the 165.

Happy to second it.
multiraider2

Post by multiraider2 »

Oh! I forgot to mention the Splugen Pass, both on the Swiss side and the Italian side
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

multiraider2 wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 22:34 Oh! I forgot to mention the Splugen Pass, both on the Swiss side and the Italian side
This is my favourite route into Italy!

Viva la Repubblica!
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

So far, bearing in mind I've only driven in Europe recently, I will say the A23 from the Pyrenees to Valencia in Spain.

It goes from the high mountains, through desert-like plains down to orange groves by the Med.

Little traffic, free, and always travelling to the sun and heat if going SE.

On top of that there are the new sections of motorway complete with tunnels and viaducts being opened up gradually so each trip is different.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@40.54593 ... 312!8i6656
SouthWest Philip

Post by SouthWest Philip »

Norfolktolancashire wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 22:25 So far, bearing in mind I've only driven in Europe recently, I will say the A23 from the Pyrenees to Valencia in Spain.

It goes from the high mountains, through desert-like plains down to orange groves by the Med.

On top of that there are the new sections of motorway complete with tunnels and viaducts being opened up gradually so each trip is different.
I drove most of that last year. I presume the eventual plan is for the motorway to cross the Pyrenees and join up with the A65 from Pau to Bordeaux? Both the A65 & A23 might become somewhat busier then.
Norfolktolancashire

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

SouthWest Philip wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 22:39
Norfolktolancashire wrote: Sat Jun 16, 2018 22:25 So far, bearing in mind I've only driven in Europe recently, I will say the A23 from the Pyrenees to Valencia in Spain.

I drove most of that last year. I presume the eventual plan is for the motorway to cross the Pyrenees and join up with the A65 from Pau to Bordeaux? Both the A65 & A23 might become somewhat busier then.
That was the plan but the French withdrew as they did not want their side of the Somport Pass to have HGV's, so you have the situation now of a very poor S2 on the French side complete with no bypass of Pau compared to a good quality Spanish road. The A65 is very quiet like the A23 as you say and will stay that way now!
J6onM27

Post by J6onM27 »

At the moment has to be the A16 Switzerland through the Jura mountains which opened last year. If we talking scenery then got to the Glossglockner in Austria.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

lefthandedspanner wrote: Sat Jun 02, 2018 21:48 The coastbound A1 in Croatia, which starts in the capital, makes a beeline for the Adriatic and ultimately to the ports of Rijeka and Ploče, connecting them to the interior. The most impressive aspects of it are its spectacularly scenic nature, along with its sheer ambition, as it carves its way through the mountains of Gorski Kotar by means of numerous cuttings and tunnels.

It's also notable for being the only place I've ever seen a hairpin bend on the mainline of a motorway!
If you liked that, you'll surely like this, and this!

Viva la Repubblica!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

J6onM27 wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:26 At the moment has to be the A16 Switzerland through the Jura mountains which opened last year. If we talking scenery then got to the Glossglockner in Austria.
Has that finally been finished! I remember seeing it marked as u/c in maps as early as 1999 and thinking it looked ambitious even then.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

I do love the roads through the American national parks - the scenery in Yellowstone and Yosemite was beautiful. I really enjoyed also the I-90 through Wyoming from Sheridan to Shearsmith - just like a motorway through a massive version of the Peak District.

Closer to home, I love the E20 from Kolding to Malmo and the A60 around Bitburg. The A75 across the Larzac Plateau is also beautiful.a Finally Routes 13 and 550 north of Odda in Norway.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
J6onM27

Post by J6onM27 »

Bryn666 wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 15:50
J6onM27 wrote: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:26 At the moment has to be the A16 Switzerland through the Jura mountains which opened last year. If we talking scenery then got to the Glossglockner in Austria.
Has that finally been finished! I remember seeing it marked as u/c in maps as early as 1999 and thinking it looked ambitious even then.
Yes, but some of the tunnel bores are still single carriageway, it certainly was a quiet way in/out of Switzerland as most of the freight traffic still goes via Basel.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

KeithW wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 12:49 Tough choice but it has to be the Great Ocean Road in Australia. In 1998 we planned on driving from Adelaide to Melbourne and the interior road was the shortest and quickest at 720 km and 8 hours. We were strongly advised to take the oceanic route which is 1000 km and took 2 days but boy was it worth it. Spectacular scenery and plenty of friendly small towns made it a highlight of the trip. Every few miles it seemed there was a view you could not miss. We stopped overnight at a motel in Warnambool and ate in a restaurant with spectacular views of the Hopkins River.
I can certainly second that choice.