NABRE

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Mark Hewitt

Re: NABRE

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Bryn666 wrote:They do look neat, but I wonder if it's simple thermo or actually textured surfacing?

Either way, it'll look crap in 3 years if not maintained lovingly :wink:
That was my first thought. Around here we've had some "school" red triangles painted onto the road, but less than 2 years later they are barely visible.
mistral

Post by mistral »

I appreciate that this thread is normally about the USA ... but I was hoping to broaden it out a wee bit to some other parts of North America. I've got to go to Honduras (La Ceiba & San Pedro Sula) and Nicaragua (Managua) ... yikes... for a few days at the end of next month, and I was just wondering if any of you have driven there. If you have, any hints or info on road quality, driving standards etc. gratefully received! :)
traffic-light-man

Post by traffic-light-man »

Nic,

Nice collection of piccies there!

I noticed this pic shows, interestingly, all incandecent LFE signal heads, including a Dog House. I have to say that I would've expected a full RYG for the left turn as well...

Are these State owned signals?
Simon
DaL33T

Post by DaL33T »

Welcome to the States! :mrgreen:

Interstates around here are definitely the equivalent of Motorways...well, MOST of the time...because I can promise you...this is a real Interstate. It's the New Jersey terminus of the Holland Tunnel, which is part of I-78...
si404

Post by si404 »

DaL33T wrote:Welcome to the States! :mrgreen:

Interstates around here are definitely the equivalent of Motorways...well, MOST of the time...because I can promise you...
Welcome to SABRE, and the UK!

We have quite a lot of at-grade junctions - you posted I-78's at grade section (Breezewood or I-180 WY would also do) and we could post the mainline roundabouts on the M271, A627(M), M60, A601(M), M58 (x2), or the ones linking motorways (tons of them).

However for the pedant, they aren't equivalent most of the time as they defined by different things - motorways being certain restricted roads (ie no walking, cycling, slow vehicles) that just happen to have various standards as normative, whereas interstates are certain roads that meet the design standards that in most states have restrictions (often because all freeways have restrictions).

We get surprised that there are at-grade junctions (and lament at their unsuitability quite often), but it doesn't break the rules, unlike at-grade intersections on Interstates. The pedestrian crossing on a (bizarre, part-time) M275 slip road does break the rules (as does my standing on the tarmac and cycling on the slip), but the traffic lights that it goes through don't break the rules. The main reason why I-78 isn't quite equivalent is that there's ped crossings and sidewalks, which (save for that one little slip road - though there's an footpath crossing slips off the M876 inside regulations as well), don't exist on the UK motorway network.
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

I'm now living in the US, and have so far found driving on the wrong side of the road (and driving an automatic for the first time!) to be surprisingly straightforward. My daily commute takes me along I-94 between Minneapolis and St Paul for about 5 miles, and is usually pretty quick in the morning (I can generally easily achieve the 55mph speed limit), although a fair bit slower in the evening (where 10-15mph is not uncommon). I was slightly surprised the first time I took it, as the exit I need is a left hand exit, the kind of thing that is quite rare in the UK! Another thing I have noticed is lots and lots of weaving, particularly where I-35W joins I-94, and then leaves again. Lane discipline is really not great, but then with lanes disappearing and reappearing so frequently, it's not really surprising.

I certainly find that driving an automatic helps a lot with the sheer frequency of traffic light junctions here. Minnesotan drivers do seem to be generally quite friendly and calm though, so that does help. And it is of course nice to be filling up with such cheap petrol!
J N Winkler

Post by J N Winkler »

orudge wrote:My daily commute takes me along I-94 between Minneapolis and St Paul for about 5 miles . . .
Do you get to go through the Lowry Hill Tunnel?
Interbellum odological notables (I) | Piero Puricelli · Giovanni Giuriati · Italo Vandone · Pio Calletti · Pietro Crespi
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

I'm very close to it, but I join/leave the freeway just before the tunnel. In fact, I've driven over the tunnel a few times! (My exit is also signed as the exit for prohibited vehicles.)
Yankee Guy

Post by Yankee Guy »

orudge wrote:I'm now living in the US, and have so far found driving on the wrong side of the road (and driving an automatic for the first time!) to be surprisingly straightforward. My daily commute takes me along I-94 between Minneapolis and St Paul for about 5 miles, and is usually pretty quick in the morning (I can generally easily achieve the 55mph speed limit), although a fair bit slower in the evening (where 10-15mph is not uncommon). I was slightly surprised the first time I took it, as the exit I need is a left hand exit, the kind of thing that is quite rare in the UK! Another thing I have noticed is lots and lots of weaving, particularly where I-35W joins I-94, and then leaves again. Lane discipline is really not great, but then with lanes disappearing and reappearing so frequently, it's not really surprising.

I certainly find that driving an automatic helps a lot with the sheer frequency of traffic light junctions here. Minnesotan drivers do seem to be generally quite friendly and calm though, so that does help. And it is of course nice to be filling up with such cheap petrol!
Do you enjoy making Right on Reds? One of my favorite legal road laws in the country. You're permitted to make right on reds if it's safe to do so and if there isn't a sign posted saying not to.
I'm a Connecticut Yankee back in Connecticut.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

I've found it to be a rather handy manoeuvre. It's banned at a few of the busier junctions here, which makes sense really, but otherwise I do find it to be a nice thing to be able to do!
Nic

Post by Nic »

The biggest problem is when you go back to England, you really do wanna slip through a red to turn left...
Nic
J N Winkler

Post by J N Winkler »

I had the same problem, but in Chihuahua (right turn on red is not legal in Mexico). A tránsito nailed me straightaway but let me go when I handed over my Kansas driver's license and he realized I was an idiot tourist.
Interbellum odological notables (I) | Piero Puricelli · Giovanni Giuriati · Italo Vandone · Pio Calletti · Pietro Crespi
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Something that I've just noticed reading the Minnesota Driver's Manual, a law that's apparently been introduced this year:

"Speeds in Passing Zones – (M.S. 169.14, subd. 2a)
The speed limit on two-lane highways with a posted speed limit of 55 mph
or higher is increased by 10 mph when the driver is lawfully passing another
vehicle in the same direction."

which seems like a rather good idea. It's particularly infuriating in the UK when you've finally got to an open stretch of road and you're about to overtake, and you ideally need to speed up a bit to get past safely, and there's a GATSO or a police car up ahead. Allowing road users a certain amount of leeway above the limit while overtaking seems pretty sensible to me.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Always like to add a little to this thread, every year or so...

So - Up here in North Georgia...

Bad Signage!
Nic
Nic

Post by Nic »

America always likes to do things bigger and better than England. That's just the way it is.

So, take England's worst motorway junction, arguably M50 - J3, and raise you to this example on I-40 (A great road in itself) in the Great Smokies National Park.

Bing Maps - Online mapping is pretty bad here, GSV is only on the one (wrong) carriageway, but if you click the bing link, and rotate it through 180 degrees, you'll see the point at which Hurricane Creek road just arrives at a T onto the Interstate. No restrictions, just drive on, drive off.
Nic
jackal

Post by jackal »

Nic wrote:America always likes to do things bigger and better than England. That's just the way it is.

So, take England's worst motorway junction, arguably M50 - J3, and raise you to this example on I-40 (A great road in itself) in the Great Smokies National Park.

Bing Maps - Online mapping is pretty bad here, GSV is only on the one (wrong) carriageway, but if you click the bing link, and rotate it through 180 degrees, you'll see the point at which Hurricane Creek road just arrives at a T onto the Interstate. No restrictions, just drive on, drive off.
And for evidence of a more conventional demonstration of 'bigger and better' just look at Knoxville, the first city of any size to the North. Even a sabristi such as myself baulks at a freeway system that's bigger than the CBD it serves.
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

jackal wrote:
Nic wrote:America always likes to do things bigger and better than England. That's just the way it is.

And for evidence of a more conventional demonstration of 'bigger and better' just look at Knoxville, the first city of any size to the North. Even a sabristi such as myself baulks at a freeway system that's bigger than the CBD it serves.
Seems it's not big enough yet. The east-west route that runs across the northern edge of the central area is elevated, but if you look the supporting structure is twice as wide as the road laid on top, and at the western end the elevated surface is suddenly twice the width. At some point there seems to be the intention of doubling the number of lanes on that road!
Nic

Post by Nic »

Chris5156 wrote: Seems it's not big enough yet. The east-west route that runs across the northern edge of the central area is elevated, but if you look the supporting structure is twice as wide as the road laid on top, and at the western end the elevated surface is suddenly twice the width. At some point there seems to be the intention of doubling the number of lanes on that road!
Actually, this is an old picture - They have already doubled it, and they needed to. The two lane elevated section a little further East, was a scarey ride, to say this is part of the main interstate through the city.

Here's a picture of the straighter part!
Nic
jackal

Post by jackal »

Nic wrote:
Chris5156 wrote: Seems it's not big enough yet. The east-west route that runs across the northern edge of the central area is elevated, but if you look the supporting structure is twice as wide as the road laid on top, and at the western end the elevated surface is suddenly twice the width. At some point there seems to be the intention of doubling the number of lanes on that road!
Actually, this is an old picture - They have already doubled it, and they needed to. The two lane elevated section a little further East, was a scarey ride, to say this is part of the main interstate through the city.

It looks like the Jame White Parkway was also under construction when the birdseye shot was taken. It seems pretty clear that the southern terminus is set up for extension at least as far as the Chapman Highway.
Nic

Post by Nic »

jackal wrote:
Nic wrote:

It looks like the Jame White Parkway was also under construction when the birdseye shot was taken. It seems pretty clear that the southern terminus is set up for extension at least as far as the Chapman Highway.
Google Maps has a far more update ariel picture of the construction in Knoxville.
Nic