Melbourne right turns

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

B 67

Post by B 67 »

traffic_signals wrote:
B 67 wrote:
horsetan wrote: Sorry, what I meant is that last time I was in Melbourne (Dec. 2002), I found similar neon ped signals in Glen Waverley. They might still be in use.
Ah yes! How could I have failed to realise that. :lol:

No idea if Glen Waverley still has neon peds. I'll try to check it out next time I'm down that way.
has anyone else in signalfans club got an Austrailian one?
It is doubtful. I don't even know anyone else in Australia with one. Although I'm sure there would be others here who've managed to obtain one.

Shall be in Glen Waverley tomorrow. Shall see if that one in Springvale Rd is still there. It was still there earlier this year. The photo was taken over 10 years ago.
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

scynthius726 wrote:
horsetan wrote:I've got quite a few Melbourne traffic signal pics too :wink: Should I upload them....??
Well it would save me the bother :wink:
Pics uploaded this evening....including one of an early Eagle signal head on a "tin lantern" post.
B 67

Post by B 67 »

horsetan wrote:
scynthius726 wrote:
horsetan wrote:I've got quite a few Melbourne traffic signal pics too :wink: Should I upload them....??
Well it would save me the bother :wink:
Pics uploaded this evening....including one of an early Eagle signal head on a "tin lantern" post.
Found them. Nice pics.

I did go by that school crossing in Springvale Rd, Glen Waverley today. Sadly, I have to report that the neon ped signals have been replaced by the usual red / green man heads. Actually, thinking back to when I went by earlier this year, I think they'd been replaced by then. However, I did see a few other neons still in use elsewhere.

Tin heads. I actually hadn't heard this term before, but I can understand how it came about. They were once common in Australia too. They were labelled AWA here. There was still a full set in use at an intersection / pedestrian crossing in Sydney until last year. A few people had hoped to get them preserved and left in use, but others insisted that there was no place for obsolete equipment to be in use on Sydney's streets. There are LED signals there now. :cry:

Melbourne did once have lots of them. I can remember as a child seeing traffic lights with the word STOP on the red lenses. I would not have appreciated it at the time, but I'm sure a lot of these were what you refer to as tin heads. They were mostly gone by the end of the 1980s. They were generally very dull compared to newer traffic lights. In fact I can remember unintentionally driving through a set of them which were showing red. They were poorly placed (low and well to the side of the wide road) and another nearby intersection had newer signals at green. I saw the newer signals and missed the old ones. Fortunately traffic speeds were very low at the time and no collisions occurred. It was very embarrassing though. :oops:

The only place I know of where you can still see those tin heads in use today are at the children's traffic school at Kew. The early Eagle that you saw on the former tin head poles are of a type that probably does not exist in use anywhere else in Victoria, if not all Australia. For some reason they seem to survive along some of Melbourne's "Little" streets. Not that we who appreciate old signals are complaining that they are still in use. :D
Last edited by B 67 on Mon Aug 20, 2007 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

B 67 wrote:...I did go by that school crossing in Springvale Rd, Glen Waverley today. Sadly, I have to report that the neon ped signals have been replaced by the usual red / green man heads.
Pity :(
Tin heads......Melbourne did once have lots of them. I can remember as a child seeing traffic lights with the word STOP on the red lenses. I would not have appreciated it at the time, but I'm sure a lot of these were what you refer to as tin heads.
Those are exactly the ones we had here.

Meanwhile, in Queensland...
Last edited by horsetan on Mon Aug 20, 2007 17:24, edited 1 time in total.
B 67

Post by B 67 »

horsetan wrote:
B 67 wrote:...I did go by that school crossing in Springvale Rd, Glen Waverley today. Sadly, I have to report that the neon ped signals have been replaced by the usual red / green man heads.
Pity :(
Yeah, I hear you. I was always fascinated by those things as a child when in Melbourne's CBD. As a teenager I made my own one from cardboard using red and green lights inside. :oops:
So when I started obtaining some examples of older traffic lights, I REALLY wanted my very own neon ped signal. It turned out to be quite difficult. But I eventually got one. :D
horsetan wrote:
Tin heads......Melbourne did once have lots of them. I can remember as a child seeing traffic lights with the word STOP on the red lenses. I would not have appreciated it at the time, but I'm sure a lot of these were what you refer to as tin heads.
Those are exactly the ones we had here.
So far I've not been able to obtain an Australian one. Most were taken down and probably scrapped before people thought to collect or preserve them. They rarely appear for sale in Australia, even on eBay. So far I've only been able to obtain 2/3 of one. Cut down to a red and green (blue) light only.
Peter Freeman

Re: Melbourne right turns

Post by Peter Freeman »

Here, a hook-turn explainer and an effectiveness assessment -

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-15/ ... i/11404870

The article contains the statement -

Professor Currie told Fact Check that the positive impacts of hook turns had led to road safety experts suggesting they be installed at all intersections.

I don't think any Melbournians, or 'road safety experts', actually subscribe to that view!
RoadsMaps

Post by RoadsMaps »

In addition to the Hook Turn, Melbourne has also added to it’s range of traffic-flow arsenal the dreaded, flawed and habitat-destroying P-Turn:
https://youtu.be/yIREzujqOUg
https://youtu.be/mK33JysHC4c
B110 is my local arterial.
Peter Freeman

Post by Peter Freeman »

1. The P-turn is nothing new - they've been used around the world for decades. Melbourne's first was implemented many years ago at the southern end of the M3 in Frankston, while we waited for completion of the Peninsula Link M11 Freeway. After that opened, VicRoads decided to retain the (initially-temporary) P-turn since it had proved so effective.

2. The Hoddle St /Punt Rd / Olympic Blvd continuous flow intersection (which inter alia includes P-turns) has been complete for some weeks now and has proved effective and safe in reducing congestion. CFIs also are not new, though this is an unusual one. It's been covered in another Sabre thread.

3. "dreaded, flawed, habitat-destroying"... !?! There's no habitat to destroy in Hoddle Street!