Runways on motorways

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

stewartt

Runways on motorways

Post by stewartt »

Prompted by a post in another thread, I remembered being told that in cold war west germany there was a long stretch of autobahn which was perfectly straight, where all the street furniture (lighting, barriers, the lot) were removable, with rest areas at either end the same. This had been built as such to allow it to be used as an emergency runway.

I guess that my question is does anyone know a) did i remember this correctly, b) where is it, c) is it still there and d) germany is special in the history of the cold war, but did they do the same thing anywhere else?

Stewart

Edit: - with the help of wikipedia I found the stretch I was told about - its here
JosephA22

Post by JosephA22 »

Back in the 1980s there was a long section of runway on the A2 in Poland (the section east of Poznan was the only section completed in those days).

It was about 2 miles long, with what resembled huge parking areas at each end (the no parking signs did not deter truckers from parking up).

I remember driving along there with my parents, and being overtaken by a German-registered Merc using the central reservation (we were in the outside lane overtaking a truck, and the 100mph we were doing was obviously not worth slowing down for). The amount of small stones and debris that showered the windscreen was phenomenal. However, traffic levels were so low in those days that most of the time you could mosey over to the far side (inside lane in the opposite direction) and no one would be any the wiser. Not that we did of course...

This section has long gone, as the road has been completely rebuilt since then.
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

When I was in Bulgaria last year, there was a section of motorway near Varna on the Black Sea coast that was very wide and with no central reservation; just painted lines down the middle.

I can only guess that this too can be used as a runway?
J--M--B

Re: Runways on motorways

Post by J--M--B »

stewartt wrote:Prompted by a post in another thread, I remembered being told that in cold war west germany there was a long stretch of autobahn which was perfectly straight, where all the street furniture (lighting, barriers, the lot) were removable, with rest areas at either end the same. This had been built as such to allow it to be used as an emergency runway.

I guess that my question is does anyone know a) did i remember this correctly, b) where is it, c) is it still there and d) germany is special in the history of the cold war, but did they do the same thing anywhere else?

Stewart

Edit: - with the help of wikipedia I found the stretch I was told about - its here
I would thought that all motorway street furniture, even in this country, is removable when you have a tank or bulldozer to remove it. In the same way as supermarkets become instant hangars for Harriers, you just drive a tank or bulldozer through through the windows and push the shelves out of the way.
JMB
Fort William
http://www.mbriscoe.me.uk

"Give me the third best technology. The second best won't be ready in time. The best will never be ready." Robert Watson-Watt
wibble

Post by wibble »

stewartt wrote: I guess that my question is does anyone know a) did i remember this correctly, b) where is it, c) is it still there and d) germany is special in the history of the cold war, but did they do the same thing anywhere else?
There were many off them, German Wikipedia has an article about the "Autobahn Notlandeplatz" (Motorway Emergency Airfield) here. It is (obviously) in german, but there are some good photos of planes taking off and landing on the motorway, it also has a list of 27 locations where they occured.

The Wikipedia link also mentions that the concept was also used in Poland, Austria and Switzerland.

This web site (also in german) has more information, and detailed phots of a NATO excercise in 1984, & removable street furniture. (plus some photos of autobahns being used as runways in WW2).
Gavin A74

Post by Gavin A74 »

According to Jeremy Clarkson's "Motorworld", several Swiss motorways double up as runways (there's even a level crossing across a runway but not on the motorway network AFAIK).

It may be a rumour, but doesn't a certain amount of every US interstate have to be straight so it can double up as a runway?
signol

Post by signol »

I saw a prgramme about the Swiss motorways on TV in France some years ago... Very interesting, they showed the "hangars" carved out of mountainsides.

Here is a road / runway crossroads :)

signol
http://www.travelsignal.co.uk
Flight and travel videos
Nena Kitsune

Post by Nena Kitsune »

Gavin A74 wrote:According to Jeremy Clarkson's "Motorworld", several Swiss motorways double up as runways (there's even a level crossing across a runway but not on the motorway network AFAIK).

It may be a rumour, but doesn't a certain amount of every US interstate have to be straight so it can double up as a runway?
If I recall correctly, that is mostly just an urban legend based on the fact that alot of US motorways have such poor design, at least in the regard to the Americans almost Italian affection for completely straight motorways stretching tens of kilometres.

There are a few extra-wide roads here in Sweden that used to double as airstrips, and along many older national highways there are occassional hangars along the road, particularly in forested areas. I think they date from the World War or maybe some bright guy thought it up as defense in the event of some future "Soviet invasion".
t1(M)

Post by t1(M) »

Accoerding to The Motorway Archive 26th April 1975 a Jaguar landed on the M55 and took off again. (this was an aircraft, not an XJ6, and the motorway was still under construction )Image
Ploes

Post by Ploes »

I dont know, but I could find out.... since I was told about this when I was in the Netherlands last time.

Is there an A54 or A45 ? I seam to rember those numbers!
moogal

Post by moogal »

Gavin A74 wrote:(there's even a level crossing across a runway but not on the motorway network AFAIK).
There's one of these in Gibraltar, where the main road in crosses the runway for Gibraltar airport.
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

I remember travelling back from Poland in about 1984, and to my surprise there was a large runway on the motorway in the old East Germany between Frankfurt an der Oder and Berlin (now the A12).

My recollection is that the runway part was much wider than the two carriageways plus central reservation of the rest of the motorway, and that the forest on either side of the runway had been cut back much further still.
signol

Post by signol »

moogal wrote:
Gavin A74 wrote:(there's even a level crossing across a runway but not on the motorway network AFAIK).
There's one of these in Gibraltar, where the main road in crosses the runway for Gibraltar airport.
Indeed - take a look at the photo link I posted earlier up the thread :)

signol
http://www.travelsignal.co.uk
Flight and travel videos
Cherskiy

Post by Cherskiy »

Andy P wrote:I remember travelling back from Poland in about 1984, and to my surprise there was a large runway on the motorway in the old East Germany between Frankfurt an der Oder and Berlin (now the A12).

My recollection is that the runway part was much wider than the two carriageways plus central reservation of the rest of the motorway, and that the forest on either side of the runway had been cut back much further still.
There were several in the former East Germany for use by Luftstreitkrafte MiG-21s and MiG-23s back in the 1970s - I have a c.1979 aircrew map for central Europe that shows their locations. May try to dig it out if I remember sometime.

The Swedes were still flying Saab Viggens from various road strips around Lulea at least once each year on exercises until the type's withdrawal from service at the end of 2005. Not sure if the replacement Gripens do the same.

Going back much further in time, the Luftwaffe's Jagdverband 44 (JV44) flew operations from a stretch of autobahn during April 1945 with their Messerschmitt Me262A-1 jet fighters. There are photos of the section of the former Ulm-Augsburg-Munich Reichsautobahn with Me262s parked in the trees along each side. The handful of two-seat Me262B-1a/U1 jet night-fighters belonging to Kommando Welter (11./NJG11) also operated from this autobahn. Another section of Reichsautobahn up near Lubeck was also used by Kommando Welter. Several more improvised airstrips were built along the Munich-Salzburg Reichsautobahn for use by JV44 but the Americans overran these before the jets could use them.
You call that low?
J--M--B

Post by J--M--B »

The AIX forum has a thread about the Mandria Highway Strip on Cyprus and says there are two others there.
JMB
Fort William
http://www.mbriscoe.me.uk

"Give me the third best technology. The second best won't be ready in time. The best will never be ready." Robert Watson-Watt
Benny

Post by Benny »

The M96 of course is a runway made to look like a motorway :)

Credit: Steven Jukes and the fantastic PM website.

http://pathetic.org.uk/secretive/m96/
Living my life on the edge......of two counties!

Formerly known as Roverman

Still driving a British built car, made in a former Rover factory......
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

I did read somewhere that at least one WWII runway was turned into a road when the base it was on was closed.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
RichardA35
Committee Member

Post by RichardA35 »

RichardA626 wrote:I did read somewhere that at least one WWII runway was turned into a road when the base it was on was closed.
A372 at Westonzoyland is one.
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

RichardA626 wrote:I did read somewhere that at least one WWII runway was turned into a road when the base it was on was closed.
At the Husbands Bosworth airfield in Northamptonshire, after the closure of the aerodrome and release of the land by the government, the truncated Sibbertoft Road was realigned along part of the line of the former No.1 runway. I can remember in the 1950s you could drive araound most of the runways. The road is now an S2 with a gliding club using part of the old airstrip.
vlad

Post by vlad »

There's one here in Lincolnshire - it even still looks a bit like a runway.
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath