Cyprus

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

WHBM

Re: Some further notes on Cyprus

Post by WHBM »

I'd forgotten this thread from 2 1/2 years ago.
WHBM wrote: At the end of this substantial journey is a Monastery, which is well known for it's brandy. Now that we are home again, maybe this evening I will get the chance to try a glass !
It was dreadful ! Tasted of earth :(
Trebeck

Re: Cyprus

Post by Trebeck »

When I was there, the motorways were mostly deserted. I wasn't sure how a minimum limit would be enforced - some of the older lorries seem to struggle to hit 65km/h!

Green motorway signage but similar to the UK.

The occasional ex-UK lorry was visible. Cyprus plates used to be similar to the UK (pre 1963)/ NI plates. Only differences being the usage of a leading 0 on the number. Made it difficult to spot the occasional UK/NI registered vehicle. Newer plates use a Malta-style font. Red plates for hire cars and buses use greek symbols in a plate similar to the Spanish SP plate.

The driving style seemed more relaxed, possibly a combination of sunny weather, low congestion and a lack of the UK "get one over on everyone else" way of driving.
James

Post by James »

I found the motorways quite a lot of fun. I hired a number of vehicles in the Ayia Napa area and on occastion got chucked onto the motorway from an A road without any non motorway alternative. Fine in a car, but strugging to get up to 65km/h in a buggy or quad bike was quite an experience.

Whether this was legal or not there - no idea! lots of signs saying pedestrians prohobited and fines for dropping litter, but nothing for what vechicles can use the road! In any event, that end of the motorway was virtualy deserted.

BTW If you are in that area of the island definitly hire a quad or buggy and check out the Cape Grecko area, its an off-roaders paradise.
murphaph

Post by murphaph »

In Cyprus at the moment.

The republic has moved to FE Schrift number plates, black on white front and rear....and so has the Turkish controlled area, except there it was compulsory to exchange old plates to the new style so it's universal whereas in the south the old plates are still legal.

The new northern plates are EU type but instead of stars there's a seal of some sort.

I think the A5 motorway was built with an emergency landing facility. The central reservation is paved and the barrier is Armco. This is very similar to ones I know in Germany.
bothar

Post by bothar »

Driving is pretty orderly in Cyprus. I suspect it is much more so than in its neighbours to the East.
It makes for a pleasant holiday.
"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

bothar wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 19:35 Driving is pretty orderly in Cyprus. I suspect it is much more so than in its neighbours to the East.
And to the West, based on my experiences during my one and only visit to Greece.

And its neighbours to the North and South as well, I should imagine!
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
murphaph

Post by murphaph »

They have single and double yellow lines everywhere but they seem to be universally ignored. Indicating seems pretty optional too.

It's pretty leisurely for sure. Hire cars have red plates so the locals tend to quickly move to overtake you, but they're generally not aggressive. It's nothing like southern Italy anyway.

Crossing the border between the TRNC and Dhekalia SBA sees you checked by Republic of Cyprus officers working on behalf of the UK.

Fuel is significantly cheaper in the TRNC (about a third cheaper) so many fill up before crossing back over.

It is effectively impossible to take a hire car from the TRNC to the south but the opposite is possible but only if one rents from a local firm. The big hire car firms do not allow taking a car to the north. You need to purchase additional third party insurance from a TRNC company or you cannot enter the TRNC. It is possible to take private vehicles from north to south but you see very few. I think it's complicated for them.
bothar

Post by bothar »

I was there last year. I had a rental from a mainstream operator so did not drive into the North, I did cross on foot in Nicosia.
The traffic lights in North Nicosia were noticeably different than those in the Republic of Cyprus, perhaps they are similar to Turkey.
trafficlights-northNicosia-2.jpg
"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
murphaph

Post by murphaph »

Got caught by a Gatso yesterday in the north. They are everywhere there. Apparently with numberplate recognition. With a hire car from the south and no diplomatic relations between the TRNC and Republic of Cyprus I suspect it will not go any further.
Vierwielen

Re:

Post by Vierwielen »

DorsetWay wrote: Tue Feb 12, 2008 20:23 ... snip

In case no-one knows, Cyprus is divided into two - a bit like Ireland - as the northern half is Turkish controlled which traffic lights there are the same as over in Turkey!

...snip
Actually it is divided into three - the Greek portion, the Turkish portion and some British military bases. The British bases are British sovereign territory, but the laws on the British bases are, as far as is practicable, harmonsied with the local laws.
murphaph

Post by murphaph »

Indeed it is generally not obvious when you've entered one of the SBAs. The road markings and signs are done by Cypriot authorities to their standards.