Guide to UNITED STATES

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

IJP1

Guide to UNITED STATES

Post by IJP1 »

Not exactly Europe, but anyway...

Population: nearly 300m
Sticker: USA
Drives: Left, US gallons, miles/feet
Obligatory: Varies from State to State
[b]Did you know?[b]
On expressways, traffic proceeds on average 10mph more slowly in the United States than in Western Europe.
[b]System[b]
The US uses a system of nationwide interstates (all to motorway standard), US-Highways, major state highways, and then other link roads which vary from State to State. The Interstates and US-Highways criss-cross the48 mainland statesin a kind of grid, normally going directly north/south or east/west. Diagonal can be difficult!
[b]Urban areas[b]
Signed very clearly nearly everywhere with the word 'ENTERING' followed by the place name and population in white on a green background.
[b]Traffic lights[b]
Red-green-amber-red. Pedestrian traffic lights vary, but are typically *white* to mean go.
[b]Road lighting[b]
Similar to the UK, with cat's eyes.
[b]Network Numbering[b]
Interstates are numbered in a grid, with odd numbers 5, 15 etc thru 95 (west to east)running vertically, and 10, 20 etc thru 90 (south to north) running horizontally. US-highways are similar, but 5, 15 etc are east to west and 10, 20 etc are north to south. To clarify, this means I-5 runs along the west coast and I-95 along the east coast, I-90 runs along the north (parallel with the Canadian border) and the I-10 along the south (parallel with the Mexican border); the US-highways reverse this (i.e. US-5 is along the east coast etc). Other numbers fill in logically, with odd numbers always vertical and even numbers always horizontal. Spurs place the spur number *before* the main number - so the I-295 is a spur of the I-95, the I-305 a spur of the I-5 and so on. Sometimes these spurs have been removed or replaced so they can appear not to run sequentially. And the I-99 is (deliberately) in completely the wrong place - every rule has its exceptions! State numbering systems vary hugely, with even the shield designs for state highways quite different in different places. Some states even use road *letters* (e.g. 'Route Y').
[b]Motorway junctions[b]
These vary fundamentally from state-to-state, though 'cloverleafs' are perhaps more common than in the UK and Ireland. Note that, particularly in or near urban areas, *exits can be to the left*, and passing is legal on either side.
[b]Signage[b]
All white on green background except for certain informational or tourist routes. UK visitors may find signage a little old-fashioned actually, as the emphasis is always on the route number (and direction) rather than destinations. However, this is usually perfectly adequate. The route number appears on a shield (at least for national routes), white-on-blue in the case of interstates with the direction appearing above, written as the whole word, white-on-red. Occasionally one or two major destinations are given underneath. So rather than knowing where you have to pass to get to your destination, you have to know where you *are*, and which *direction* you have to head in. Some states use mileage countdown markers on the interstates (though note these restart at 'state lines').
[b]Quirk[b]
Hardly a quirk, but America is always a country on the move. A bit like in France - but of course in much grander scale - small towns have sprung up at just about every motorway exit, offering a whole raft of 'food' and 'lodging'. As always in America the selection is huge... and the task is to find your way back *on* to the Interstate after you've eaten/slept - be sure to remember your route on the way in so you can get back out again, some of these places are *big*!
[b]Final thought[b]
Note that driving standards are generally much lower in the United States than in Europe (find any website about driving in Europe written by an American for fair confirmation of this!), although driving etiquette (letting you in in traffic and such like) is generally good. Note also that cars and motorbikes are much bigger in the States (a 3-series looks puny).
And a final note - motoring terms are very different, here's just a start:
auto - car
drive with the stick - have manual transmission
expressway - (approx) motorway
gas(oline) - petrol
gas pedal - accelerator
hood - bonnet
inside lane - outside lane (though both are, therefore, the right!)
license plate - numberplate
median strip - central reservation
onramp/offramp - slip road
outside lane - inside lane (both left)
traffic circle - roundabout
trunk - boot
turn signal - indicator
Note also that the Americans use *feet* for smaller distances, where the UK uses yards.
-------------------------
Ian P. (IJP1)
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Drives: Left

Sorry Ian, had to point that error out - hopefully that wasn't intentional ;-)
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
IJP1

Post by IJP1 »

Bryn,
Some of them *did* drive left, once upon a time...
No, it's just I was copying from the UK one and forgot to change it! Cheers!
However, it's a while since I was there - over 2 years - so that'll not be the only error...
Ian P.
Ian P. (IJP1)
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Left hand driving, yes, but back when horses were the preferred mode of travel!
A quirk, well, if you ask me, Interstate 238 and I-99 seem to upset American road-lovers, due to them not falling in line with the numbering system. And I thought Sabristi were picky over the A601(M)!
Bryn

pjkh

Post by pjkh »

Couple more things:
You touched on this but a spur round a city has an even number added to the front, but one going through a city has an odd number. Or it might be the other way round.
Thereare interstates in Hawaii, despite them not going between states (obviously). They're numbered H1 H2 H3, rather than using the I prefix.
Pavement means road. Sidewalk means Pavement.
The inside lane on urban freeways often follows slip roads. It's signed "Right lane must exit" or "exit only" if there's an overhead sign (in a black on yellow box).
The green signs (with white lettering) aren't reflective. Instead, the letters have large white reflective studs on them.
They use the same studs on the road as lane markings, rather than the cat's eyes we use. Although I've seen proper cats eyes there too.
They tend to sign distant destinations. I've seen signs in the bay area pointing to Los Angeles. Also seen distance signs of several hundred miles.
Contrary to popular belief, you're supposed to keep right, although you are allowed to pass on the right. There are sometimes signs saying "Slower traffic KEEP RIGHT". Nobody does. A colleague of mine was pulled over and breathalised because he crossed two lanes to overtake a lorry. Cop said he had swerved and didn't believe him when he said that in every other country you can't pass on the inside.
Freeways are usually built with huge central reservations, which allows them to be upgraded more easily. Often they are built with an extra lane or two which remain unused, until the road needs to be upgraded, at which point they just slap down some paint and some studs.
Bridges on freeways are rarely tarmaced. Instead you just drive on the concrete slab the top of the bridge is made of.
That's all I can think of right now.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Note about signage: Button Copy signs are slowly being phased out in favour of reflective signs, although this is happening very slowly. American highway departments also seem to use 'greenout' (ie, panels over signs) instead of replacing the whole thing. This causes confusion when it falls off!
Bryn

roadmuck

Post by roadmuck »

Some clarification here.

As for the Interstate signs, the only part that appears white-on-red is the word "INTERSTATE" above the number. The direction is white-on-blue, just like the number. Also many times on the Interstates and other roads, rather than just saying XX EAST -->, it might say something like XX EAST -->, City X. So there is some destination signing and then as you go along, it might say City X, X Miles or so. Personally, what I like about this system being more based on direction, is sometimes you might go through a more remote region, where you don't know the names of the towns, but if you know which direction you need to go, its still easy enough to get there.

Pavement = Road. Not exactly. Pavement is the road surface itself, whether it be concrete or asphalt, (tarmac).

The Green Signs. While many are not reflective, but have reflective studs, these signs are known as button-copy. There are still many of these signs left on older freeways, but many are being replaced by fully reflective signs, and some states have almost used them since the beginning of the Interstates. Also the use of cats eyes and other reflectors vary a lot, even within a single state. Even the "autobahn-like" reflectors on the posts are fairly common.

Bridges, I think one of the reason why most aren't tarmaced, is because of the snow and ice that most of the country gets, the concrete allows for better expansion and contraction.

Some more terminology. In most of the States, people don't refer to it as the inside or outside lane. Many places where the widest highways are 3 lanes, people tend to say Left lane,(Fast Lane), Center Lane, Right Lane, (Slow Lane), or in some places they go by number, with Lane 1 being the Fast Lane, and then down the rest of the hierarchy. Also its not uncommon at all, to hear manual transmission or accelerator pedal, thats what they say in all the owner's manuals in American cars. Also with the building of mini-roundabouts in the US, roundabout is another UK word thats catching on well.
Andrew
Guy-Barry
Banned

Post by Guy-Barry »

roadmuck: << In most of the States, people don't refer to it as the inside or outside lane. >>

You might be amused (or bemused) by the following thread from the archives:
http://www.angelfire.com/clone/sabrearc ... deout.html
Guy
signol

Post by signol »

I think I read that Interstates are either important roads linking 2 or more states or of military importance. Those in Hawaii serve military bases, so in that respect they count.
I think someone saidthat Interstates are like E-roads in Europe, that they don't have to be to freeway standard - at grade junctions in the middle of nowhere would be quite adequate for minimal traffic (not that I'd call the A14 here "minimal traffic", despite its being an E route)
signol
http://www.travelsignal.co.uk
Flight and travel videos
si404

Post by si404 »

American signage is evil. a piece attacked me yesterday and made my head bleed. all cos i walked into it. our signs would gently move out the way (ok im being silly now-had a long journey back). The bridges across the Indian and Banana rivers in Brevard county inFlorida aren't tarmaced and they don't get snow, it must be because it's cheaper a well.
I will try and write a 'guide to FLORIDA' sometime soon as the states are all different
The inside lane on freeways for turning also appear on some other mainroads.
Central left turn lanes for both directions also exist
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
pjkh

Post by pjkh »

>>Pavement = Road. Not exactly. Pavement is the road surface itself, whether it be concrete or asphalt, (tarmac).

You're right. I was being a little simplistic to highlight a point

>>The Green Signs. While many are not reflective, but have reflective studs, these signs are known as button-copy. There are still many of these signs left on older freeways, but many are being replaced by fully reflective signs, .....

I have noticed that. I expect a lot of it depends on the freeway in question. Some signs look like they've been there for a very long time.

>>Bridges, I think one of the reason why most aren't tarmaced, is because of the snow and ice that most of the country gets, the concrete allows for better expansion and contraction.

Could be right. I've noticed it in California more than anywhere else, however.
AngloAm1

Post by AngloAm1 »

'Botts Dots' are being phased out slowly (the reflective dots on the signs were apparently invented by somebody call Bott). I happen to like them and will miss them but they're increasingly rare.
Numbering for interstate spurs and loops works like this: If an Interstate spur goes through or around a city, it gets an even number prefixed to the base road (I-495, I-605 and such). If an Interstate spur goes into a city (or in some cases region) and stops, it gets an odd number prefixed (I-395, I-190). But although the base road keeps its number no matter how many states it traverses, each state can use the full panoply of odd and even prefixes -- there is an I-395 in Virginia and DC, and another one just 40 miles away in Maryland (Baltimore).
I-97 upsets me because (a) it doesn't go interstate, it doesn't even cross a county line, and (b) it connects a 3-digit interstate (I-695) with a 'secret' (unsigned) three digit interstate (secret I-595)/US Highway (US-50). It seems to have no real life of its own and could have been either an extension of I-83, or I-995.
Referring to lanes varies from area to area. In my area (DC metro if you hadn't guessed) traffic reporters refer to the left-hand, center-left, center, center-right, and right-hand lanes. In California they refer to the number one lane, the number two lane and so on.
There is a standard for design, construction and maintenance of Interstates but there seems to be more flexibility if a section is not quite to code. Remember, Interstate refers to the funding/purpose of a controlled-access divided highway, less to its design standards, although 99% of the time, an interstate is such a road. However, many state highways are also built to that standard too. Interstate highways are part of a nationally based road link system for civilian and defense traffic.
IJP1

Post by IJP1 »

Yes, since I am a linguist by academic background I should point out my 'mini-dictionary' was only for reference if you hear such terms in America. It doesn't mean the British terms don't also exist alongside them - many Americans say 'car', after all!
I for one found it difficult to say whether the signage was better or worse, it's just different, that's all. I guess for such a vast country using compass points and final destinations makes more sense. The thing that did strike me is how so many signs were written rather than diagrammatic. And also how dangerously *low* some speed limits were - to go 15mph you spend more time looking at your speedo than the road, believe me!
Ian P.
Ian P. (IJP1)
AngloAm1

Post by AngloAm1 »

Functionally I think diagrammatic signs are easier to understand except when I look at the vast panoply of destinations on some examples of UK signs -- wordiness seems to creep in -- in the US in "next left" and such, in the UK in multiple destinations.
That said, UK road signs are things of beauty. Ours are much more...clunkily laid out. Except there is some romanticism in the different states' differing shields -- a keystone shape for the Keystone State, a beehive for Utah, the busy state, etc.
Also, the use of compass points alone isonly on sign assemblies, where the cardinal is on a plate above the shield, with sometimes an optional arrow pointing if you're right at a junction (where a flag sign would be in the UK), and other such places where an abbreviated quick reminder of whichway to head is appropriate. Also they are sprinkled, these sign assemblies,about as 'reassurance signs' after junctions, either over or next two asign listing mileages to destinationcities. The standard advance sign thoughshows the shield (sometimes a simplified version of it), the direction, anda 'control'city or destination city.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

If the Federal Highway Dept or whatever they're called kept their artistic flair and copied our direction sign designs, that'd be great, IMV.
I dislike US direction signs due to their inconsistency and so on.
Bryn

Ritchie333
SABRE Developer

Post by Ritchie333 »

<< I will try and write a 'guide to FLORIDA' sometime soon as the states are all different>>
Actually, one interesting thing I just noticed about Florida, is that at the very bottom there appears to be a road (Route 1?) connecting up lots of islands from Key Largo to Key West but running in what appears to be the middle of the sea for substantial lengths. It looks like about ten back to back Severn Bridges! How the hell did this get funded and built?
Any other road features that make the Severn Bridge, the A55 tunnels and the Tongue causeway look positively mundane by comparison?
--
SABRE Maps - all the best maps in one place....
PeterA5145

Post by PeterA5145 »

<<Actually, one interesting thing I just noticed about Florida, is that at the very bottom there appears to be a road (Route 1?) connecting up lots of islands from Key Largo to Key West but running in what appears to be the middle of the sea for substantial lengths. It looks like about ten back to back Severn Bridges! How the hell did this get funded and built? >>

It was originally a railway. See:

http://www.geocities.com/jingram05/feckeywest.htm

I think the sea is very shallow in that location so it isn't quite the engineering challenge of the Severn Bridge.

Regards,

Peter
“The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.” – Robert A. Heinlein
Sabrista
Secretary

Post by Sabrista »

Richie333: <<Any other road features that make the Severn Bridge, the A55
tunnels and the Tongue causeway look positively mundane by comparison?>>

I can remember going to New Orleans on a coach trip with my parents in 1993.
Going across from Lafayette to New Orleans proper we crossed a 24 mile long
bridge across Lake Ponchotrain (spelling?).

You couldn't see one side from the other - it was like a bridge across the
English Channel! Astonishing piece of engineering I thought!

Serena
"The motorways are full of teachers' pets in their company cars listening to Simply Red..." - Dean Johnson

Big Trip In A Big (Now Little) Car! (new)
Serena's Mr Floppy Collection
My other pet project!
ChrisH

Post by ChrisH »

Astonishing, yes, but those are causeways I imagine rather than suspension bridges. I don't think there's much in the way of shipping in either of those places!

Chris
roadmuck

Post by roadmuck »

In regards to the Florida Keys and Lake Ponchartrain, neither cross very deep bodies of water and are a very much causeways. The longest bridge in the Keys is the Seven-Mile Bridge, which is a hair under 7 miles long, there are hundreds of small islands that Route 1 goes over, so most of the other bridges in the Keys are significantly shorter. The traffic through the Keys is terrible, but nothing beats that endless turquoise water!
Andrew