What countries have bi, tri (or even more?!) lingual signs?

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Fenlander

Re: What countries have bi, tri (or even more?!) lingual sig

Post by Fenlander »

Lincolnshire Police's Xmas drink drive campaign featured signs in 3 languages last year, Latvian, Lithuanan & Polish.
brombeer

Post by brombeer »

scragend wrote:If the Flemish are to be told they can't use Rijsel, or the French can't use Sarrebruck, why can the English still use Munich? (Apart from the obvious answer that there aren't any road signs in England pointing to Munich.)
I do not see this debate as a matter of "can't use" or "should exonyms die out" - everyone should be at complete liberty to use whatever exonyms he or she prefers. But signposting is a form of mass communication aimed at a very diverse international audience. To add to insult, you have to do it in the specific context of motorway signs, which typically contain some six references that need to be understood within seconds while keeping an eye on the road. It is a very specific setting that is a ground to communicate in a manner that differs from what you do in general speech. The Dutch have been doing this for decades now in selected places (endonyms on signs and at train stations, English exonyms at Schiphol airport) and you cannot see it changing everyday speech by the slightest bit.

From that starting point, it is a conclusion quickly drawn. Flemish people invariably understand Liège and Lille, Walloon people invariably understand Antwerpen and Aachen, etc. But by signposting those endonyms, you reach foreigners much better. The number of motorists picking up the message will increase, as you still reach the vast majority of locals AND also catch the foreigners. But this type of approach does require you to step away from local pride arguments such as 'this is Flanders and the people have a right not to be bothered with French' or 'we are the French government and we will not communicate in any other language'.
Last edited by brombeer on Wed Oct 29, 2014 08:13, edited 1 time in total.
J N Winkler

Post by J N Winkler »

There is some bilingual signing in the US, generally near the Mexican and Canadian borders:

However, there is no general policy governing bilingual signing in the US as a whole and some state DOTs discourage it for message loading reasons.
Interbellum odological notables (I) | Piero Puricelli · Giovanni Giuriati · Italo Vandone · Pio Calletti · Pietro Crespi
Lewandowski
Banned

Post by Lewandowski »

Are there examples in the US of foreign destinations being signed, for example, Vancouver?
J N Winkler

Post by J N Winkler »

Lewandowski wrote:Are there examples in the US of foreign destinations being signed, for example, Vancouver?
Yes, but it varies from state to state and, as a rule, there are far fewer attempts to sign distances to destinations in Mexico, let alone to use them as control points.

A few examples:

* Vancouver, BC is a designated control city for I-5 in Washington state. (WSDOT guidance calls for it to be rendered pedantically on signs as "Vancouver B.C." partly to differentiate it from Vancouver, Washington, which is on the Columbia River opposite Portland.)

* Two-lane roads elsewhere in Washington usually show distances to Canadian cities in miles when they approach the border.

* In North Dakota, Winnipeg is a designated control city on I-29 northbound.

* In Michigan, at least in the Detroit area, "Canada" is often signed instead of specific cities like Windsor, Sarnia, etc.

* In New York and New England, Montréal is a designated control city on I-87 and I-89. The Ministère des Transports du Québec returns the favor north of the border, complete with Interstate shields that typically use Series E Modified (as on the somewhat similar-looking autoroute shields) instead of the more usual Series C or D.
Interbellum odological notables (I) | Piero Puricelli · Giovanni Giuriati · Italo Vandone · Pio Calletti · Pietro Crespi
Lewandowski
Banned

Post by Lewandowski »

Many thanks. Is there any reason to your knowledge why Mexican destinations aren't favoured?
Comstock
Banned

Post by Comstock »

Funnily enough I saw a tri lingual sign today whilst exploring my own back yard on the old A453

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8& ... 73,,1,5.81
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

RichardA626 wrote:Does Switzerland have any trilingual (German / French / Italian) signs?
Three of the five destinations on this roadsign in Basle are outside Switzerland. A fourth (Euro Airport) is actually in France, but the land itself has been leased to the Swiss for the Basle/Mulhouse/Freiburg airport.

Note that in Switzerland, motorways are denoted by green signs and "primary roads" by blue signs.
mikewhitcombe

Post by mikewhitcombe »

vlad wrote:There are five languages on this sign in England.
At least two of which have spelling mistakes...
B 67

Post by B 67 »

A few bilingual signs in Taiwan. :)
PICT2410R.jpg
Yield/Give Way sign in Hualien. It's placed well before the intersection too.
B 67

Post by B 67 »

No problems finding one's way around with such clear signage. Lucky the traffic jams give you enough time to read them. :mrgreen:
PICT1922RC.jpg
Last edited by B 67 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:55, edited 1 time in total.
B 67

Post by B 67 »

Part of a view taken from a high speed train.
PICT0056cr.jpg
B 67

Post by B 67 »

And one more. :wink:
PICT0057r.jpg
mikewhitcombe

Post by mikewhitcombe »

This sign is in South Tyrol (predominantly German-speaking region of Northern Italy) - and is in Ladin (not Latin...), German and Italian:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ardena.jpg
Bristol

Post by Bristol »

It's been mentioned before but Israel has trilingual signs: google street view example

Switzerland has the occasional trilingual German/French/English trilingual sign where it may be of use to tourists, for example the "pass open/closed" prism signs (first sign in right column). In fact the second panel is even quad-lingual!
mikewhitcombe

Post by mikewhitcombe »

B 67 wrote:Part of a view taken from a high speed train.
PICT0056cr.jpg
Bloody fast shutter speed and a very steady hand in that case!
B 67

Post by B 67 »

mikewhitcombe wrote:
B 67 wrote:Part of a view taken from a high speed train.
PICT0056cr.jpg
Bloody fast shutter speed and a very steady hand in that case!
It was shortly after a stop. :wink:
SC2

Post by SC2 »

Comstock wrote:Funnily enough I saw a tri lingual sign today whilst exploring my own back yard on the old A453

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8& ... 73,,1,5.81
That's the one I was on about....
swarkestonecauseway wrote:
michael769 wrote:Doesn't England have multi lingual "drive on the left" signs at ports?
Yes. If I recall there are some near airports too, such as East Midlands.
:D
mikewhitcombe

Post by mikewhitcombe »

I've updated the wiki page "Bilingual Sign", as it was in the list of "Articles to Improve"...

http://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/inde ... ngual_Sign

From the SABRE Wiki: Bilingual Sign :

REDIRECT [[Bilingual

... Read More
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

Comstock wrote:
scragend wrote:
michael769 wrote:Doesn't England have multi lingual "drive on the left" signs at ports?
On the way out of Dover on the A2, there are "keep left" signs in English, French, German and Swedish ("Kör till vänster").

The others I can understand, but why Swedish - are there enough Swedes passing through Dover to warrant it?
That does seem an odd choice. I would have though Dutch, Polish or maybe Italian would be more sensible choices for the fourth most common language for incomming drivers.
I've always thought it an odd choice as well, especially at Dover. Back in the days of direct ferry connections with Scandinavia the ferries landed at Harwich, Hull and Newcastle, not Dover.

The failure to choose Polish, which today would be a self-evident choice, can be explained by the fact that those signs have been there for a very long time. They predate the entry of Poland etc. into the EU and possibly even the fall of the Wall.

Clutching at straws here, but could Swedish have been chosen because it is also intelligible by Danes and Norwegians? Even so, for all three nationalities English is a more obvious choice than any of the other Scandinavian languages.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!