What countries have bi, tri (or even more?!) lingual signs?

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

si404

Re: What countries have bi, tri (or even more?!) lingual sig

Post by si404 »

FosseWay wrote:The failure to choose Polish, which today would be a self-evident choice, can be explained by the fact that those signs have been there for a very long time. They predate the entry of Poland etc. into the EU and possibly even the fall of the Wall.

Clutching at straws here, but could Swedish have been chosen because it is also intelligible by Danes and Norwegians? Even so, for all three nationalities English is a more obvious choice than any of the other Scandinavian languages.
It is odd.

The sign exiting Clacket Lane has Czech, which in a previous discussion we worked out acts as something intelligible to most Eastern Europeans who speak Slavic languages.
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
SC2

Post by SC2 »

FosseWay wrote:Clutching at straws here, but could Swedish have been chosen because it is also intelligible by Danes and Norwegians? Even so, for all three nationalities English is a more obvious choice than any of the other Scandinavian languages.
Slightly off topic, but how likely is someone who only speaks Icelandic to be able to understand Swedish?

(In reality, I understand Danish and English are both taught there from an early age)
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

I would say the degree of dissimilarity between Icelandic and the mainland Scandinavian languages is not as great as the difference between Anglo-Saxon and modern English but greater than that between Latin and French, if that helps put it in context.

An Icelander or anyone else who can speak/read Danish well will have no problems with written Swedish (just as I who speak and read Swedish well have no particular problems reading Danish). But I'm not sure how widespread practical and extensive knowledge of Danish actually is in Iceland. I suspect English is more relevant as a second language these days.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
SC2

Post by SC2 »

FosseWay wrote:I would say the degree of dissimilarity between Icelandic and the mainland Scandinavian languages is not as great as the difference between Anglo-Saxon and modern English but greater than that between Latin and French, if that helps put it in context.

An Icelander or anyone else who can speak/read Danish well will have no problems with written Swedish (just as I who speak and read Swedish well have no particular problems reading Danish). But I'm not sure how widespread practical and extensive knowledge of Danish actually is in Iceland. I suspect English is more relevant as a second language these days.
Thanks for that.

I know for a fact that spoken English in Iceland is superb- there were very few words, if any (can't remember) they didn't understand.

I brought up the Danish because I'm sure I read somewhere they learn it from the same age as English which would make sense given the historic connections, so I would assume they'd be as good at that as they are at English.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

FosseWay wrote:I would say the degree of dissimilarity between Icelandic and the mainland Scandinavian languages is not as great as the difference between Anglo-Saxon and modern English but greater than that between Latin and French, if that helps put it in context.

I toured Iceland in 1983. I was led to believe that Icelandic, Danish and English were all studied at school. Most books in the bookshops appeared in both English and Icelandic and the norm then was to go to University in Denmark. Our guide, who went to university in Denmark, spoke fluent Icelandic, German and English. The only English/German phrase that I picked up was wheh she said that supper would be at "half past seven"/"um halb sieben". (The Germans would have said "half before eight").
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

It is quite usual in the Arab world to have Arabic and English or another Latin alphabet based language on the signs. One exception I've been reading about was Gaddafi's Libya where the signs were in Arabic only to make moving about for non Arabic speakers more difficult and make learning a second language difficult for Libyans.
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

I don't doubt that Danish is taught in schools, but in isolation that just means that your average Icelander is as good at Danish as your average Brit is at French. I suspect far more Icelanders study English at a higher level (A level plus) and they will certainly absorb more by "osmosis" through films, music and technology.
SC2

Post by SC2 »

FosseWay wrote:I don't doubt that Danish is taught in schools, but in isolation that just means that your average Icelander is as good at Danish as your average Brit is at French. I suspect far more Icelanders study English at a higher level (A level plus) and they will certainly absorb more by "osmosis" through films, music and technology.
I think the 'osmosis' is definitely important, but learning Danish is usually also compulsary- found this from an official website:

'English is the most commonly learned language at the upper secondary level with 15,454 students, who are 61.5% of students at the upper secondary level. Danish is the second most commonly learned language with 8,268 students; 32.9% of students at this level. These two languages are compulsory for most students at the upper secondary level.'

From here: http://www.statice.is/?PageID=444&NewsID=5571

Was interested to see more learnt Japanese and Italian than Swedish or Norwegian.
brombeer

Post by brombeer »

Vierwielen wrote:The only English/German phrase that I picked up was wheh she said that supper would be at "half past seven"/"um halb sieben". (The Germans would have said "half before eight").
Most Germanic languages takes that approach: German, Swedish, Danish, Dutch, Frisian. The English language pinched the Latin approach. Like French 'sept heures et demi', Italian 'sette e mezzo' etc.

In some areas of Germany, they even speak of 7.15 and 7.45 as 'quarter eight' and 'three quarters eight'. Perfectly logical. The clock as a maths exercise 8-)
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

Russian also uses the Germanic approach for the half-hours. Up to half-past it's xx of the next hour, so 8.30 is polovina devyatovo (sorry, can't be bothered to do Cyrillic at this time of night!) or half of the ninth (hour). After the half, it's the following hour minus so many minutes, so 8.50 is bez desyati devyat (without-10 nine).
firefly

Post by firefly »

Vierwielen wrote:The only English/German phrase that I picked up was when she said that supper would be at "half past seven"/"um halb sieben". (The Germans would have said "half before eight").
Just that halb Sieben is an hour earlier than half past seven.
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

I saw this
Photo0269-BigL.jpg
and thought of this thread.

At the exit of an industrial estate in the Wednesbury area.
Make poetry history.

Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Enceladus

Post by Enceladus »

Here in Ireland we have had bilingual road signage for the past 65 years or more. In Gaeltacht (supposedly Irish speaking) areas road signage is in Irish only.

We also have the multi-lingual "Drive on the left" signs at ports and airports.
Certified Roads Geek ... and proud of it!
Viator

Post by Viator »

[quote="vlad"]There are five languages on this sign in England.

A pity that only three of them are written correctly. (Only two if you if you count the missing diacritic in the French, but then I wouldn't want people to think that I'm a pernickety old so-and-so ...even though I am.) :)
bothar

Post by bothar »

Sri Lanka is good example, 3 languages, 3 alphabets.

"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368
Sulzer:1999

Post by Sulzer:1999 »

bothar wrote:Sri Lanka is good example, 3 languages, 3 alphabets.

Love the stripy poles, I wonder how many countries still use them? From TV news reports, I have seen them in UAE & Zimbabwe.

Murray Duncan
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

Sulzer:1999 wrote:
bothar wrote:Sri Lanka is good example, 3 languages, 3 alphabets.

Love the stripy poles, I wonder how many countries still use them? From TV news reports, I have seen them in UAE & Zimbabwe.

Murray Duncan
Portugal does according to Chris's site, though the International section is offline when I last looked.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Sulzer:1999 wrote:Love the stripy poles, I wonder how many countries still use them? From TV news reports, I have seen them in UAE & Zimbabwe.
Quite a lot of the Commonwealth, I think. Certainly India is one.
mikewhitcombe

Post by mikewhitcombe »

Viator wrote:
vlad wrote:There are five languages on this sign in England.
A pity that only three of them are written correctly. (Only two if you if you count the missing diacritic in the French, but then I wouldn't want people to think that I'm a pernickety old so-and-so ...even though I am.) :)
mikewhitcombe wrote:
vlad wrote:There are five languages on this sign in England.
At least two of which have spelling mistakes...
My point exactly...
jackal

Post by jackal »

brombeer wrote:
scragend wrote:As for other countries, Belgium is known for tying itself up in linguistic knots on its road signs. You may even get trilingual ones in/close to the German-speaking area. South Africa I think has a different approach, whereby they alternate with one sign in English and the next saying the same thing in Afrikaans.
This is something only done in areas where Afrikaans has prominence, i.e. (Pre-1994) Transvaal and Western Cape. And rightfully so. Given the 9 other official languages in SA, you can almost wait for more, yet I haven't seen any such signs yet.
There are few if any new Afrikaans signs in Johannesburg; Afrikaans has much more of a presence in Pretoria so maybe that's different. In public life generally the trend is towards linguistic standardization (English) rather than further fragmentation, and I doubt you will see ever see new signs in other languages in truly multiethnic cities like Joburg. I suppose where one African language has overwhelming dominance, like Zulu in most of KZN, it might make it onto signs at some point if it hasn't already.