[India] Kolkata flyover collapse

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

J--M--B

[India] Kolkata flyover collapse

Post by J--M--B »

On India Today with picture
Kolkata flyover collapse LIVE: Tragedy an act of god, says builder

An under-construction bridge collapsed near the famous Ganesh Talkies in north Kolkata's Girish Park area today. 150 people are feared to be trapped under the debris in the busy neighbourhood.
JMB
Fort William
http://www.mbriscoe.me.uk

"Give me the third best technology. The second best won't be ready in time. The best will never be ready." Robert Watson-Watt
A303Paul

Re: India Today: Kolkata flyover collapse LIVE: Tragedy an a

Post by A303Paul »

J--M--B wrote:On India Today with picture
Kolkata flyover collapse LIVE: Tragedy an act of god, says builder

An under-construction bridge collapsed near the famous Ganesh Talkies in north Kolkata's Girish Park area today. 150 people are feared to be trapped under the debris in the busy neighbourhood.

Well the builder would say that, wouldnt he!
RichardA35
Elected Committee Member

Re: [India] Kolkata flyover collapse

Post by RichardA35 »

Since the Bragg report into the Loddon collapse we have been reasonably free from major incident. The TWC role has been taken very seriously on all projects that I have worked on and we should be thankful for a relatively mature industry in the UK in this area.
paully

Post by paully »

Who thought building this in the first instance was a good idea? Look how close the flyover is to the buildings! That'd be like running an elevated motorway along Oxford Street in London.
A303Paul

Post by A303Paul »

paully wrote:Who thought building this in the first instance was a good idea? Look how close the flyover is to the buildings! That'd be like running an elevated motorway along Oxford Street in London.
Like this? or this? :wink:

The Kolkata example looks a bit extreme,but chicago did much the same with their overhead metro railway a century ago.
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

A303Paul wrote:
paully wrote:Who thought building this in the first instance was a good idea? Look how close the flyover is to the buildings! That'd be like running an elevated motorway along Oxford Street in London.

The Kolkata example looks a bit extreme,but chicago did much the same with their overhead metro railway a century ago.
Fair point but from the pictures I've seen, the Kolkota one seems quite a bit more extreme in terms of how close it is to the adjacent buildings.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

A303Paul wrote:
I used to work here, more or less in the centre of the picture.
A303Paul

Post by A303Paul »

jgharston wrote:
A303Paul wrote:
I used to work here, more or less in the centre of the picture.

I thought that was Croydon until I saw the chinese script and realised there was one too many lanes for Croydon flyover :laugh:

Compare here and here
firefly

Post by firefly »

That was my thought as well. It is sad to see that some parts of the world still sacrifice the integrity of a well-established urban area to the excessive space-demand of the motorised road-traffic.
bothar

Post by bothar »

"I intend to always travel a different road"
Ibn Battuta 1304-1368