German motorways & roads [Deutsche Autobahnen]

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: German motorways & roads [Deutsche Autobahnen]

Post by c2R »

ravenbluemoon wrote:I noticed that there are a few single carriageway sections of autobahns, particularly the A8 and A62 around the Saarbrücken area. They obviously use one half of a full motorway, with the second half unbuilt.
So do they have plans to fully build sections like this, or do the traffic levels not justify it? Also I can't tell the speed limits for these sections, would they be around 100?
I've driven on these sections a couple of decades ago - from what I recall, there were large cuttings and viaducts; so the terrain made it much more expensive to construct bridges and tunnels - I do recall there being space within cuttings and embankments for a second carriageway to be added - the A60 between J2 and J4 for example. And there are other routes in the area that are still incomplete, such as the A1 nearby...
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
MarcoUK
Account deactivated at user request

Post by MarcoUK »

Warning triangle would be the better choice !

Photo: Polizei ST PD Nord
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

MarcoUK wrote:Warning triangle would be the better choice !

Maybe they're Italians?
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
quarella

Post by quarella »

MarcoUK wrote:Warning triangle would be the better choice !

But does the unexpected generate more of a response?
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Owain wrote:I've only driven on the autobahn twice. The first time was very brief, on the A5 between Basel and the French A36 near Mulhouse. The second was longer, from Basel to Strasbourg. Traffic was very light both times.

I found it to be an extremely civilised experience; 140kph all the way, no tailgating, drivers in lane 2 happily letting slower cars out to overtake and waiting patiently for them to move back in again. I have no interest in visiting Germany as a tourist, but I am intending to use the whole length of the A3 as part of my route to Italy one day. It should be fun!
Maybe things have changed but I first drove the Autobahn in 1971 and last drove it in 2005. I have to say on neither occasion did I notice drivers in lane 2 being happy about slower drivers or any degree of patience. As a 19 year old in 1972 it was somewhat disconcerting to have a Mercedes 3" from your bumper with horns blaring and full beam lights on because you had dared to overtake a line of trucks in his imperial procession. By 2005 I was driving a Rover 75 doing a quite reasonable speed of 90 mph when I got the same treatment.By then I was insouciant enough to show no reaction beyond flipping the finger.
MarcoUK

Post by MarcoUK »

Our motorways from above

Autobahn Dresden-Görlitz (Polish border)

There used to be a granary and a supermarket, where the motorway now is.

Dresden-Görlitz (video in German only) (1/3)

Our motorways from above
The Schkeuditz interchange , completed in 1936 , is Europe's oldest motorway junction .

Schkeuditz interchange (video in German only) 2/3

Our motorways from above
The A 4 from Eisenach* to Hermsdorfer Kreuz. Since 1980, the volume of traffic on the A4 in Thuringia has more than quadrupled . Why? we show in travel from Eisenach to Hermsdorfer Kreuz .
The A 4 from Eisenach to Hermsdorfer Kreuz. (video in German only) 3/3

*situated near the former Inner German border (GDR-FRG)
MarcoUK

Post by MarcoUK »

Widening project for the A99 Autobahn
The project will see the A99 being widened from its current six lanes to eight lanes on the north side of the city, between the junctions with the A9 and A92 Autobahn.Widening this section of the A99 is expected to cost in the order of €153 million, which is higher than originally estimated due to the need to upgrade or rebuild a number of bridge crossings.

Start: second quarter of 2017
End: expected to be completed by 2019.

Source: worldhighways

Google Maps A99/A9/A92
MarcoUK

Post by MarcoUK »

The projects of the Federal 2017 budget were published on 21.09

4 projects in Baden-Württemberg, total costs: 282 mln Euro
7 projects in Bayern, total costs: 314 mln Euro
2 projects in Hessen, total costs: 256 mln Euro
1 project in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, total costs: 11 mln Euro
1 project in Niedersachsen, total costs: 143 mln Euro
1 project in Nordrhein-Westfalen, total costs: 740 mln Euro
3 project in Rheinland-Pfalz, total costs: 84 mln Euro
1 project in Sachsen, total costs: 97 mln Euro
3 project in Sachsen-Anhalt, total costs: 129 mln Euro
1 project in Thüringen, total costs: 5 mln Euro

List

Source: BMVI.de
MarcoUK

Post by MarcoUK »

Germany moves closer to 'foreigner' Autobahn toll
A proposed road toll that the European Commission had long called "discriminatory" is moving forward after Brussels and Berlin said they have come closer to an agreement.

The European Commission announced on Thursday that talks between the two sides had made “very large progress” and German Transport Minister Alexander Dobrindt said there would soon be an agreement which would bring changes to the current toll plan.
“We are moving towards an understanding and I am very confident that we will have an agreement with the EU Commission in November,” Dobrindt said in a statement posted by his ministry's Twitter account on Friday.

The Commission in September had announced it was bringing Germany to the EU Court of Justice over the “discriminatory” road toll.

The toll, passed by the German parliament (Bundestag) last year, would charge both foreign and domestic drivers on German roadways up to €130 per year, but only German residents would get a rebate on their motor vehicle taxes in exchange.

The Commission had argued that this therefore unfairly discriminates against foreign drivers, including those from EU member states, therefore violating EU law.

According to DPA sources within the EU, the agreement would mean that the German toll would have to be altered, including a less expensive, short-term pass for commuters and tourists from EU countries. The rebate would also be based on emissions with drivers of environmentally friendly cars getting more of a tax relief, according to DPA.
In exchange for making changes to the law, the EU Commission would drop the court case.
thelocal.de
jackal

Post by jackal »

MarcoUK wrote:The projects of the Federal 2017 budget were published on 21.09

4 projects in Baden-Württemberg, total costs: 282 mln Euro
7 projects in Bayern, total costs: 314 mln Euro
2 projects in Hessen, total costs: 256 mln Euro
1 project in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern, total costs: 11 mln Euro
1 project in Niedersachsen, total costs: 143 mln Euro
1 project in Nordrhein-Westfalen, total costs: 740 mln Euro
3 project in Rheinland-Pfalz, total costs: 84 mln Euro
1 project in Sachsen, total costs: 97 mln Euro
3 project in Sachsen-Anhalt, total costs: 129 mln Euro
1 project in Thüringen, total costs: 5 mln Euro

List

Source: BMVI.de
What are the biggest schemes in Germany at the moment?
MarcoUK

Post by MarcoUK »

jackal wrote: What are the biggest schemes in Germany at the moment?
AFAIK, The A1 Rheinbrücke Leverkusen expansion was recently approved. I suppose that would be one of them

PS: Sorry, it took me so long to reply, I was on holiday