UK signs to European locations/UK towns signed in European locations?

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Rob590

Post by Rob590 »

Heading to the ferry port in IJmuiden last week, I noticed that it was actually signed as to Newcastle. This struck me as interesting as we usually don't name the destination of ferries on road signs in the UK, presumably because they may change if the ferry company were to change routes.

Obviously discounting signs in or to Ireland, are there any other examples either of British locations signed outside the UK, or foreign places signed from within the UK?
AndrewGPaul

Post by AndrewGPaul »

Edit - I was being nitpicky and annoying. Sorry
exiled
Committee Member

Re: UK signs to European locations/UK towns signed in European locations?

Post by exiled »

Gibraltar has 'Spain' on a number of its roadsigns, and Gibraltar itself is signed on the Spanish side of the border.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
si404

Post by si404 »

The SBAs will have signs, not least as they have motorways through them, though whether they are to European locations depends on how much of a geography pedant you are.
"“Peace, commerce and honest friendship with all nations" Thomas Jefferson
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

The Isle of Man/Douglas is signed in central Liverpool. That's not in the UK.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

Liverpool docks, from which a Ro-Ro service is operated across the Atlantic on a couple of otherwise container ships, has a "Motorway to the USA" sign above the dock gate.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

There is an arrow-shaped sign in Civitavecchia, Italy, that simply says "Sardegna" on it, without any mention of a ferry!

Viva la Repubblica!
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

Sadly forbidden in the original post, but it's a great sign.

Portsmouth gets around that by using the phrase "continental ferries". Does that count as a European location?
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Johnathan404 wrote:
Sadly forbidden in the original post, but it's a great sign.

Portsmouth gets around that by using the phrase "continental ferries". Does that count as a European location?
I took the original post to mean the forbiddenness was either signposting of NI destinations in the UK or ROI from NI ;)
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

How about London from Amsterdam on the A4:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.27947 ... 312!8i6656

I think it's gone now, along with the roadworks which have widened this section of D5M to D5M+3M (or whatever the notation for more lanes than you can shake a stick at is!
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Not in or to the UK, but Stockholm and Helsinki are signed in many places in Tallinn without mentioning that it is by ferry (nor in the case of Stockholm that it is a 17 hour journey).

Example:
https://goo.gl/maps/CpKdpgHGUtA2
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Andy P wrote:Not in or to the UK, but Stockholm and Helsinki are signed in many places in Tallinn without mentioning that it is by ferry (nor in the case of Stockholm that it is a 17 hour journey).
...and a very alcoholic one it can be, at that...!
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

Some signs around Zeebrugge direct traffic to Hull. Some are clearly commercial ones in the port itself, there are a couple that look like they are put up by the Flemish authorities.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Andy P wrote:Not in or to the UK, but Stockholm and Helsinki are signed in many places in Tallinn without mentioning that it is by ferry (nor in the case of Stockholm that it is a 17 hour journey).
One of the biggest thrills I had on my trip to Finland was driving along Route 7 and seeing St Petersburg on a roadsign.

Viva la Repubblica!
brombeer

Post by brombeer »

c2R wrote:How about London from Amsterdam on the A4:
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.27947 ... 312!8i6656

I think it's gone now, along with the roadworks which have widened this section of D5M to D5M+3M
Plus the sign was just past its lifetime and nobody was interested in paying the costs of replacing this sign or some comparable signs placed at the outskirts of Amsterdam at the occasion of some 1990s EU thingy.

Where signs in the UK point you to a ferry port, signs around Dutch ferry ports tend to say [ferry][destination]. This is a general rule for ports to the islands and the principle is followed in IJmuiden for the ferry to Newcastle. Signs around Hook of Holland used to say Harwich, but when a freight RoRo service to Killingholme was added there, they replaced the signs to say England.

Overall, the number of changes in ferry routes is so low that I cannot see it as a valid reason for not signposting the destination. There are more complete closures (which would result in adjustments either way) than additions and reroutings, and each remains a rare event.
Ambosc79

Post by Ambosc79 »

Owain wrote:
One of the biggest thrills I had on my trip to Finland was driving along Route 7 and seeing St Petersburg on a roadsign.
I remember seeing a sign to "Le Caire" in Tunisia, where the bridge to Djerba joined one of the main highways on the mainland. And being pretty surprised to hear that was French for Cairo :o
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Ambosc79 wrote:
Owain wrote:
I remember seeing a sign to "Le Caire" in Tunisia, where the bridge to Djerba joined one of the main highways on the mainland. And being pretty surprised to hear that was French for Cairo :o
It must be a Latin thing - the Italians call it 'Il Cairo'.

Viva la Repubblica!
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

Owain wrote:
Ambosc79 wrote:
Owain wrote:
It must be a Latin thing - the Italians call it 'Il Cairo'.
El Cairo in Spanish. I think this is closer to the Arabic name.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »