Would this be allowed in the UK?

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A181

Would this be allowed in the UK?

Post by A181 »

While meandering round streetview for an upcoming trip I found this:

https://goo.gl/maps/PCSLDeCcSaS2

At best it's confusing - at worst it's wrong. Would this signage be allowed in the UK, and it it even correct in France!?
Glen
Social Media Admin

Re: Would this be allowed in the UK?

Post by Glen »

We have specific signs for prohibitions on certain types of vehicles in the UK, including goods vehicles and caravans, so there would be no need to sign it with a no entry sign.
Was92now625

Post by Was92now625 »

You cannot go past the no-entry sign. But when you reach it, you cannot reverse because of the one-way sign. So, you have to leave your car there permanently :D
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

If you don't like that, you certainly won't like this.

Italy. Drive on Right! However, for the through route, you must bear left here. If you continue straight on, you will be prevented from continuing by the No Entry sign, and forced to turn right into a tiny side street after a few metres.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Berk

Post by Berk »

A181 wrote:While meandering round streetview for an upcoming trip I found this:

At best it's confusing - at worst it's wrong. Would this signage be allowed in the UK, and it it even correct in France!?
That's almost as bad as the level crossing near me - which has a No Entry sign for northbound motor traffic 'Except cycles' (and access too, though there isn't much of it).

Does that look right to you?? :confused: It's basically still two-way for peds, cycles, and animals, but southbound-only for motor vehicles.

The barriers have long since disappeared, but the signs are still there.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Re: RE: Re: Would this be allowed in the UK?

Post by Glen »

Berk wrote:Does that look right to you?? :confused: It's basically still two-way for peds, cycles, and animals, but southbound-only for motor vehicles..
There's nothing inherently wrong with that, there should be a one-way with contraflow cycles sign at the other end. If it's intended to be permanent then constructing an island with cycle bypass lane would aid visibility of the start of the restriction.
I assume there are some no-through-road signs in advance of that so traffic doesn't unexpectedly find a no-entry restriction.
JohnnyMo

Post by JohnnyMo »

I assume there is no car & caravan prohibited sign in France so the only way to sign that is "No Entry ( car & caravan )". Therefore the lorry prohibited sign I would expect is simply an extension of the No Entry ( car & caravan ). So you end up with "No Entry (Lorry) ( car & caravan )" confusing but I expect correct.

It would be better if the One Way sign started at the No Entry sign, but I assume it is correctly places relative to traffic turning left out of the Rue de la Gare.

Sutton Bank UK caravan prohibited Sign
“The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie" - Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
Johnny Mo
Berk

Re: RE: Re: Would this be allowed in the UK?

Post by Berk »

Glen wrote:
Berk wrote:Does that look right to you?? :confused: It's basically still two-way for peds, cycles, and animals, but southbound-only for motor vehicles..
There's nothing inherently wrong with that, there should be a one-way with contraflow cycles sign at the other end. If it's intended to be permanent then constructing an island with cycle bypass lane would aid visibility of the start of the restriction.
I assume there are some no-through-road signs in advance of that so traffic doesn't unexpectedly find a no-entry restriction.
I believe there were only temporary yellow signs, which also have now disappeared.
Viator

Post by Viator »

Glen wrote:We have specific signs for prohibitions on certain types of vehicles in the UK, including goods vehicles and caravans, so there would be no need to sign it with a no entry sign.
And there are such signs in France too, so I don't know why they haven't been used here.
Last edited by Viator on Sun Mar 12, 2017 09:50, edited 2 times in total.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Owain wrote:If you don't like that, you certainly won't like this.

Italy. Drive on Right! However, for the through route, you must bear left here. If you continue straight on, you will be prevented from continuing by the No Entry sign, and forced to turn right into a tiny side street after a few metres.
And God help you if you're a lorry: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@39.38224 ... 312!8i6656
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

Correct or not, this is quite common in France, to use the 'No Entry' or other restrictions plus an additional sign to specify it to the class of vehicle it applies to.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I suspect the French have had issues with compliance over the standard signs, which they do have diagrams for.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
MJG

Post by MJG »

The Vienna Convention on Road Signs and Signals declares the semactics of the prohibitory signs C, 1 and C, 2 as follows:

1. Prohibition and restriction of entry

(a) Notification that entry is prohibited for all vehicles shall be given by sign C, 1, "NO ENTRY", of which there are two models: C, 1a, and C, 1b. [C, 1b discontinued later]

(b) Notification that all vehicular traffic is prohibited in both directions shall be give by sign C, 2, "CLOSED TO ALL VEHICLES IN BOTH DIRECTIONS".

(c) Notification that entry is prohibited for a certain category of vehicle or road-user only, shall be given by a sign bearing as a symbol the silhouette of the vehicles or road-users
whose entry is prohibited. Sign C, 3a.; C, 3b; .., and C, 3l shall have the following meanings: ...

The French interpretation does not comply with these statements. (C, 1 is the red round sign with the horizontal white/yellow bar. C, 2 is the white/yellow round sign with red edges.) Not a big surprise to anybody.

Finland, for instance, reserves the use of C, 1 only to those cases when the entry is prohibited because the road in question is a one-way road. No additional panels are allowed. For any other use, C, 2 or C, 3 are to be used. This may change in the future: Finland is planning to allow two-way cycling on selected one-way roads. If that becomes true, Finland must post a new reservation to the Convention: The plans include an additional panel to C, 1: "Permitted to cyclists", and that would be non-compliant with the current text.
Berk

Post by Berk »

So my level-crossing example is also non-compliant then?? BTW, there is one exception to that: emergency vehicles are still permitted two-way.

Personally, I think it's confusing. Unless it's not permitted, I would've used a 'No motor vehicles' sign for the northbound.
LeedsKing

Post by LeedsKing »

Lot of basic signs used in Europe but with exceptions and qualifiers placed underneath:

In Belgium, you have to know SAUF (save, except) and uitgezonderd - except.

"This rule except that."

In Germany, you see a new Autobahn limit coming up, but it only applies to lorries or when it's raining "bei Nasse."

And why is the sign for the village of F**king so important that it is always replaced when stolen? Because it marks the start of a built up area and so implies a new speed limit of 50kph. People would not only start running over the village's residents, but could mount a defence that the limit was still 100kph.
-------------------------------------------------
Where we're going, we DO need roads

Ford Focus Ghia
kevjs

Post by kevjs »

Berk wrote:

That's almost as bad as the level crossing near me - which has a No Entry sign for northbound motor traffic 'Except cycles' (and access too, though there isn't much of it).

Does that look right to you?? :confused: It's basically still two-way for peds, cycles, and animals, but southbound-only for motor vehicles.

The barriers have long since disappeared, but the signs are still there.
There's similar in Nottingham - even better it was No Entry but a signed Cycle route until a few years ago - the "Except Cycles" was a later addition

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.94070 ... 312!8i6656

In any case there are often cars parked along the road, this being the only possible entrance to it!
Stevie D

Post by Stevie D »

Berk wrote:So my level-crossing example is also non-compliant then?? BTW, there is one exception to that: emergency vehicles are still permitted two-way.

Personally, I think it's confusing. Unless it's not permitted, I would've used a 'No motor vehicles' sign for the northbound.
"No motor vehicles" is not direction-specific, but applies to the whole carriageway. That can't be used, as the carriageway doesn't prohibit motor vehicles, it just doesn't allow them in that direction. "No entry ... except cycles" is the correct way of signing it.