S8 / N8 Poland

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

tonyw99

S8 / N8 Poland

Post by tonyw99 »

Hi, I am due to drive across Europe next month and I was wondering how the upgrade between Wyszkow and Ostrow Mazowiecka is coming along.

I was heading east last year at a Sunday lunchtime and this section was a painful crawl alongside where the work was happening.
jackal

Re: S8 / N8 Poland

Post by jackal »

tonyw99

Post by tonyw99 »

Thanks, I came across the thread while searching and the length scared me off. started at the end this time:)

Its a shame we are going earlier in the year this time as construction is scheduled to end in July. the plans for the s61 looks promising too
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

I usually travel along that road every year, but didn't go in 2016. In 2015 when we last went along there, the section from Ostrow Mazowiecka eastwards to the end of the existing D2 near to Jeżewo Stare was under construction and we had a painful crawl too. I guess this section is now complete as we'll be going that way again on our outward journey in June?

I can report back in July when we return if all work is completed, but that's a bit late for you.

Once the section between Wyszkow and Ostrow Mazowiecka is complete, it'll be D2 from Warsaw to Białystok, which will make the journey easier. The fruit and vegetable sellers are going lose their passing trade though, as will the young ladies in the forest sections.

https://goo.gl/maps/CvdmWDnJoRK2
tonyw99

Post by tonyw99 »

Thanks, hopefully good news for next year.

I have not ventured east of Ostrow Mazowiecka as a Latvian courier advised Dw677 to Lomza then n61.

There did look to be earthworks in western Lithuania along Via Baltica, it looks at an earlier stage though
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

We usually go on to Białystok and stay there overnight before heading up to Augustow and on to Lithuania or Kuźnica if we're going to Belarus, as there's a hotel we like with a pool, sauna, etc and there are lots of good places to eat nearby.

I haven't yet seen any earthworks in Lithuania along Via Baltica. There have been plans to build a motorway along this route for some time. Most of the sections through Czech Republic and Poland are completed, but nothing much seems to be happening on the sections further north and east.
MarcoUK
Account deactivated at user request

Post by MarcoUK »

tonyw99 wrote:Hi, I am due to drive across Europe next month and I was wondering how the upgrade between Wyszkow and Ostrow Mazowiecka is coming along.

I was heading east last year at a Sunday lunchtime and this section was a painful crawl alongside where the work was happening.
You may find this thread helpful (only in Polish)

(S8) Wyszków - Białystok
tonyw99

Post by tonyw99 »

Thanks Marco, when I have time I will study the thread with a map as I am unfamiliar with some of the place names.

Octaviadriver, we have thought about heading to Ukraine but unless we travel via Belarus it is along slog around. Is it pricey to arrange visas?
MarcoUK

Post by MarcoUK »

Published on May

Published on May
Wyszków North - Junction/interchange Knurowiec

Published on May
Wyszków - Stare Jeżewo

15th April 2017 Białystok Direction
Pictures
Pictures
Pictures
Pictures
Pictures
Pictures
Last edited by MarcoUK on Tue May 09, 2017 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

tonyw99 wrote:Thanks Marco, when I have time I will study the thread with a map as I am unfamiliar with some of the place names.

Octaviadriver, we have thought about heading to Ukraine but unless we travel via Belarus it is along slog around. Is it pricey to arrange visas?
Thanks from me as well Marco. I can understand the general gist of what they're saying and can see what is going on from all the photos and videos.

Tonyw99, visas will cost you around £100.00. Any time saved by going through Belarus would probably be lost in the time spent on the borders - we have spent several hours in queues waiting. Also, I haven't found any company in the UK that will insure the car in Belarus, so you have to buy insurance at the border, but it's only third party which makes me nervous.

We're in the same position regarding a long slog around when we go to Lithuania as we usual go to Klaipeda, which is directly north of the Kaliningrad Region. It's a shorter route to Klaipeda from Poland through that part of Russia, but the cost of visas and delays on the borders would wipe out all savings. We drive up to Kaunas and then head back due west for the last 125 miles of our journey.
MarcoUK

Post by MarcoUK »

I've just updated the links to the pictures as those had been wrong (all were the same)
tonyw99

Post by tonyw99 »

It's getting there, although from what I saw in the beginning of June it maybe optimistic. The return journey was at night so didn't see much.

Does anyone know why the 1st expressway section north of Augustow is single carriageway? It seems so shortsighted especially as the bridges etc were not built to accommodate more later.

There is definitely works on a dual carriageway section between Marijampole and Kaunas.
Octaviadriver

Post by Octaviadriver »

In an earlier post, I mentioned I was planning to go along there in June, but after our car was written off in an accident in May and waiting a few weeks for a replacement, we're now planning to go in September, so I'll be able to report afterwards what the situation is.

I think the 1st expressway section north of Augustow is going to only be a link to the new D2 as it connects to a cloverleaf junction and the south of the junction looks like it will be built at some time in the future to go well to the west of Augustow. Once the new road is complete, I doubt that this link will carry enough traffic to warrant a D2.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.9699879 ... a=!3m1!1e3
CrazyDriver8

Post by CrazyDriver8 »

There are no really good road in Poland. If you get on "motorway" you have to pay and there are not wide like in Germany. If you take smaller road to cross Poland there are lots of wholes and bumps, so it's hard to say which road is the best to cross Poland.