If you want to drive over the Gib runway, this next year may be your last chance.

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SirKnoes

If you want to drive over the Gib runway, this next year may be your last chance.

Post by SirKnoes »

Not sure if this belongs in British Roads or International, so move it as you please.

http://www.ohl.es/en/press-room/news/20 ... ss-tunnel/

A dual carriageway tunnel has been under construction for a while beneath the Gibraltar runway to relieve the old road. The first contract under Ramboll UK was terminated, but now the contract has been unlocked with OHL set to complete the work by 2018.
James

Re: If you want to drive over the Gib runway, this next year may be your last chance.

Post by James »

Thats a shame, driving/walking over a proper runway has always been a novelty about Gib that will make it slightly less interesting :(
nowster
Treasurer

Re: If you want to drive over the Gib runway, this next year may be your last chance.

Post by nowster »

You'll still be able to drive across the end of the 09 runway at Sumburgh on Shetland.

https://goo.gl/maps/LQWYDt8Q4562
Oshein

Post by Oshein »

James wrote:Thats a shame, driving/walking over a proper runway has always been a novelty about Gib that will make it slightly less interesting :(
I hear you like Traffic then. :laugh: Never done it myself, what is it like?
People come, People go; People go where they feel home.
James

Post by James »

Oshein wrote:
James wrote:Thats a shame, driving/walking over a proper runway has always been a novelty about Gib that will make it slightly less interesting :(
I hear you like Traffic then. :laugh: Never done it myself, what is it like?
Didn't drive into Gib when I visited as the queues were quite bad to cross the border. Was definitly a unusual experience walking over a live runway
Andy J
Account deactivated at user request

Post by Andy J »

Looking forward to a day trip to Gibraltar later on this year, presumably parking on the Spanish side and walking over to avoid the queues. Also Tangiers for the day.
Mark Hewitt

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Potentially going to Málaga early next year. I had thought about visiting Gib but admittedly not exactly high on the list.
Burns

Post by Burns »

If the UK was part of Schengen, there wouldn't be any queues to get in. :wink:
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

It's a real oddity! Walking or driving over it is a little surreal, but the pilot's view coming in to land must be interesting - there's occasionally someone who thinks they don't have time to wait and will run across! :shock:

Curious as to why the contract with Ramboll was terminated. Did a couple of jobs in Gib with my previous company in 2000 (some military work, and a little site visit to the old rainwater catchments that we were dismantling, the tunnel was mooted even back then). That company was taken over by Ramboll a few years back.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!