Huangjuewan Overpass in Chongqing

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Was92now625

Huangjuewan Overpass in Chongqing

Post by Was92now625 »

On the BBC site

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-euro ... -to-public

Anyone have a link to a map / diagram that allows you to work out the connections etc ?
Burns

Re: Huangjuewan Overpass in Chongqing

Post by Burns »

That looks like a great piece of infrastructure but the video was really stupid. That music has to go.
Truvelo

Post by Truvelo »

I saw the article earlier and couldn't find anything that resembles it. Maybe it's too new to be shown on maps yet.

Agree with the music though. A bit of ragga jungle would be better.
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
Was92now625

Post by Was92now625 »

Yes, my feeling was that the video (and a few other articles that I saw) merely sought to convey (correctly) that it was impressive. Normally seeing a junction, I like to go through a process along the lines of

1) Is there a route from every entry to every other exit ? Why would some routes be excluded (not likely to be useful etc)

2) Are there any duplicate routes from one entry to one particular exit ? Does this seem deliberate or just the result of something else ?

3) Can you get from an entry to the 'same' exit ? Is there a good reason for that ?

4) What are the non-standard features ? Are there good reasons ?

I found it easiest to watch with the sound turned down.

Somehow there seems this perception that you can get 'stuck' on an interchange and unable to get off and that it's easy to take the wrong route. Surely it it's well designed (lack of weaving etc, proper signs), it should not be a major problem.
rupertmillard

Post by rupertmillard »

Hi! (First post)

I found the junction on Google Maps satellite view:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@29.58753 ... a=!3m1!1e3

Unfortunately the satellite images are out of alignment with the labels / schematic maps, and the schematic map doesn't show the new road which is going to go to the Chongqing Jiangbei International Airport.
jackal

Post by jackal »

Thanks for that and welcome to sabre!

It looks like the junction was originally a four-way freeflow junction with seven of eight movements provided (nb->wb missing), with a GSJ for local traffic underneath it. There is a weaving space on a slip road.

The new development seems to be a fifth expressway arm to the north east, with associated slips. Possibly they have also added the missing nb->wb movement.