Rotterdam to Berlin

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

roadtester

Re: Rotterdam to Berlin

Post by roadtester »

c2R wrote:
Andy P wrote: I'm not familiar with the B1, but most B-roads (Bundesstraße = Federal road) are S2 outside urban areas, and pass through many towns and villages, with lots of traffic lights. Although they tend to have good alignments, progress is generally slow.
The B1 is a very interesting drive with lots of variety - a bit like the A6 in some ways. The old route from the Dutch border to Dortmund is intermittently replaced by new housing development and motorway upgrades, meaning some of it is quite difficult to follow. The Ruhrschnellweg section mixes motorway (A40) upgrades with sections of expressway and urban traffic signals (giant signalised concrete junctions, anyone!). There's also trams and guided busways in the mix and lots of tunneling. After Dortmund it escapes into a rural area (lots of farming but also prime commuter territory), and bypasses many of the villages en-route. It then reaches Paderborn where it bypasses the city on a high quality route to the north. Between there and Berlin is prettier, with more countryside, forests, and some hills...
Thanks.

I'm a bit biased because for many years as a child I used to live within less than a kilometre of the B1 - most of the British forces presence in Germany is/was spread broadly along the A2/B1 corridor - and it has always fascinated me.

I've always wanted to drive its entire length but never got around to it - soon perhaps. I'm familiar with much of the western end, but I don't really know the eastern bit at all.

fras' post has really whetted my appetite again.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

roadtester wrote:There's also the fact that in Germany you can be nicked for tailgating, flashing/indicating people to get out of the way, intimidatory gesticulating and all that.
In theory, you can in the UK too. But in all my motorway miles, only once have I ever seen a BMW driver get stopped for that reason.

At least I think it was that reason. He was doing about 100, charging right up to the back of people, and flashing them out of the way. A few minutes after he passed me, I saw him pulled over next to an unmarked police car on a slip road. Must have flashed the wrong person.
...intimidatory gesticulating and all that.
That didn't prevent a German reg'd Audi attempting to intimidate me into breaking the 80kph limit in the St Gotthard tunnel. He got bored of that speed, and for a moment came right up to the back of me and starting zig-zagging left and right. I took my foot off the gas. That stopped him.

Then, when we exited the tunnel and the limit changed, he seemed confused when I put my foot down.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Owain wrote:
...intimidatory gesticulating and all that.
That didn't prevent a German reg'd Audi attempting to intimidate me into breaking the 80kph limit in the St Gotthard tunnel. He got bored of that speed, and for a moment came right up to the back of me and starting zig-zagging left and right. I took my foot off the gas. That stopped him.

Then, when we exited the tunnel and the limit changed, he seemed confused when I put my foot down.
St Gotthard isn't in Germany though - he was probably venting because he was outside the scope of German rules! Not sure what rules they have in Switzerland, though.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

roadtester wrote:Germany though - he was probably venting because he was outside the scope of German rules! Not sure what rules they have in Switzerland, though.
Maybe .... although there is no country on the planet where I fear the police so much that I obey traffic laws as rigidly as I do in Switzerland!!!

There was one time when I had to drive through there without a black-on-white GB plate, but I got away with it. They'll probably arrest me when I go back.

Viva la Repubblica!
Chris5156
Deputy Treasurer

Post by Chris5156 »

Owain wrote:That didn't prevent a German reg'd Audi attempting to intimidate me into breaking the 80kph limit in the St Gotthard tunnel. He got bored of that speed, and for a moment came right up to the back of me and starting zig-zagging left and right. I took my foot off the gas. That stopped him.

My experience is that impatient tailgaters through low speed limits are very easily left behind when the limit changes. I've never had this in the St Gotthard Tunnel but I've had it plenty of times at 30mph through a village somewhere in the UK, with the driver behind seemingly trying to get close enough to get their front wheels in my boot, until the NSL sign appears, at which point they vanish in my rear view mirror. I think they may be a subculture of the 40 everywhere brigade.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Owain wrote:
Comstock wrote:

I should hope so ... next Sunday I'm intending to drive a Rover 75 from the Hook of Holland to Liechtenstein in one day.
What's of interest in Liechtenstein if you don't mind me asking?
It's just an overnight stop to break the journey between the ferry and Trieste.

Plus it's a European country that I haven't been to yet!
I remember reading somewhere that that Liechtenstein charge you CHF 1.00 for stamping your passport, but having your passport stamped is optional. (Nice little earner for somebody)
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

Vierwielen wrote:
Owain wrote:
Comstock wrote: What's of interest in Liechtenstein if you don't mind me asking?
It's just an overnight stop to break the journey between the ferry and Trieste.

Plus it's a European country that I haven't been to yet!
I remember reading somewhere that that Liechtenstein charge you CHF 1.00 for stamping your passport, but having your passport stamped is optional. (Nice little earner for somebody)
I did a tour of eastern European countries shortly before they entered the EU and collected quite a nice collection of passport stamps.

Perhaps we'll have passport stamps at British customs after Brexit. If so, perhaps we have finally found that first elusive piece of Brexit good news...
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Vierwielen wrote:I remember reading somewhere that that Liechtenstein charge you CHF 1.00 for stamping your passport, but having your passport stamped is optional. (Nice little earner for somebody)
When we passed through the border control, there were people there but nobody was interested in our passports.

However, the hotel cost a fortune compared with similar accommodation in all of the surrounding countries (including Switzerland!).

Viva la Repubblica!
Comstock
Banned

Post by Comstock »

Owain wrote:
Vierwielen wrote:I remember reading somewhere that that Liechtenstein charge you CHF 1.00 for stamping your passport, but having your passport stamped is optional. (Nice little earner for somebody)
When we passed through the border control, there were people there but nobody was interested in our passports.

However, the hotel cost a fortune compared with similar accommodation in all of the surrounding countries (including Switzerland!).
More expensive than Switzerland! OMG!