AVUS Rennen

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

fras

AVUS Rennen

Post by fras »

I have a video of pre-war racing in Europe including film of the AVUS Rennen, a venue near Berlin. Then, with a map of Berlin, I suddenly saw a dual-carriageway named AVUS so looked on the internet to see what it was all about. As usual Wikipedia came up trumps. Apparently this road was built in the 20s as a dual carriageway road called "Automobil Verkehers und Ubungs Strasse" and used for racing and testing.

Anyway, one day of our holiday we decided to go to Rheinsberg, so to get there decided to use the A115 to get around the west side of Berlin, (we were staying in Potsdam). This being Berlin and roadworks we got into a "stau" and crawled along until suddenly on our left I saw a grandstand beside the road ! We were on the old AVUS track, and then the north curve was seen (used as a truck park). This curve had once been banked but was found to be too dangerous so was dismantled.

Apparently the old grandstand is now a historic monument. The old race track control tower remains and is a restaurant. It was nice to actually see a piece of road and motoring history.

https://www.welt.de/reise/staedtereisen ... erlin.html

http://www.speedhunters.com/2009/08/tem ... cing_avus/
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Re: AVUS Rennen

Post by Big L »

Have you been to see the banking at Brooklands?
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
owen b

Post by owen b »

fras wrote:Anyway, one day of our holiday we decided to go to Rheinsberg, so to get there decided to use the A115 to get around the west side of Berlin, (we were staying in Potsdam). This being Berlin and roadworks we got into a "stau" and crawled along until suddenly on our left I saw a grandstand beside the road ! We were on the old AVUS track, and then the north curve was seen (used as a truck park). This curve had once been banked but was found to be too dangerous so was dismantled.
I drove from Bonn to Berlin and back in 1999 and remember driving along it.
Owen
fras

Post by fras »

Big L wrote:Have you been to see the banking at Brooklands?
I've only seen it from the train on my way to/from London many years ago. The AVUS banking was very steep, much more so that Brooklands as I understand it.
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

If you want ambitious, how about the proposed track/marina to be built in The Wash between Boston and Skegness!