Traffic signs of Malaya c1955

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Mikeya

Traffic signs of Malaya c1955

Post by Mikeya »

A nice sheet I photogrpahed in a museum in Cameron Highlands last week. An intersting mix of styles but some obvious British influences!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36844288@ ... ateposted/
malaya road signs.jpg
vlad

Re: Traffic signs of Malaya c1955

Post by vlad »

It bemuses me that they needed a sign to say "metal stacked on roadside". Was that a common thing people needed warning of?
"If you expect nothing from somebody you are never disappointed." - Sylvia Plath
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

vlad wrote:It bemuses me that they needed a sign to say "metal stacked on roadside". Was that a common thing people needed warning of?
I spotted that as well.

Some of the descriptions are quirky, possibly back translated from Malay.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

My hunch is it refers to the old expression of "road metal" for stone used in road construction, as in "unmetalled road". In a place where they were moving on from unsurfaced to surfaced roads, there were probably a lot of temporary dumps of material.

The signs in the top half look based very much on Worboys, so I might guess mid-1960s, although Malaya itself was transitioning to Malaysia by then. The ones at the bottom are influenced by older British ones which had been in use until then.

The pedestrian crossing image of the man with hat crossing, however, really looks like Ampelmann.
Viator

Post by Viator »

WHBM wrote:The signs in the top half look based very much on Worboys, so I might guess mid-1960s
I'd say they were taken from the Geneva Protocol on Road Signs and Signals (1953), which was itself the basis of Worboys (1963).
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

The sign that we would recognise as "no vehicles" (the empty red ring) is labelled rather enigmatically as "Mandatory (Obey road signs)". I suspect a translation gremlin - can anyone read the Malay or Chinese?
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
crazyknightsfan

Post by crazyknightsfan »

Would love to see a pre-Worboys style direction sign in Malaysia - has anyone come across a photo?

Pre-Worboys style signs were used in Australia (and probably most of the Commonwealth?) occasionally in the inter-war and early post-WW2 periods.
mark3evo

Post by mark3evo »

Mikeya wrote:A nice sheet I photogrpahed in a museum in Cameron Highlands last week. An intersting mix of styles but some obvious British influences!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/36844288@ ... ateposted/
malaya road signs.jpg

nice and simple

speed limits

dont exceed 30

you may exceed 30 (unlimited)

:D