Crossing the Pyrenees, which route?

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Norfolktolancashire

Crossing the Pyrenees, which route?

Post by Norfolktolancashire »

Now being in a blessed position of driving south between France and Spain this autumn, I would be interested in what routes others on this forum have used to travel over/through or past this high mountain range.

Last summer for the first time I crossed these mountains coming north from Huesca to Lourdes, taking a scenic route via the A136 and over the D918 Col d'Aubisque. Admittedly I was not in a short timescale!

Has anyone used the various tunnels under the border?
Vierwielen

Re: Crossing the Pyrenees, which route?

Post by Vierwielen »

What are the constraints? In particular, where in Spain are you heading and what is the last stop that you need to make in France? Remember that it is 380 km from the Atlantic to the Med!
Alderpoint

Post by Alderpoint »

Lots of routes across the Pyrenees, but IMO the key ones of interest are Somport, Pourtalet, and the Bielsa tunnel. Also the Peyresourde, although that is E<->W within France and not N<->S between France and Spain.

Somport is nowadays the easiest of these - much improved in the last 20 years with a tunnel which opened in the early 2000s bypassing the most interesting bit over the top.

Pourtalet is the more original and twisty route, few recent improvements as long-distance traffic is directed via Somport. This used to have a scheduled winter closure, but seems nowadays to be generally kept open.

The Bielsa tunnel is very remote, a narrow S2 and when we first drove it about 30 years ago was unlit - although there are now lights.

Be aware that traffic can have a major impact on the time taken to take these roads. Apart from Somport there is little overtaking possibilities and you can get stuck behind a slow lorry for ages. Generally best time to cross is early (v.early) in the morning as soon as it is light when traffic is likely to be at a minimum. Try not to cross the passes in a heavy snowstorm at night - can be somewhat challenging.

Further east the tunnel south of Vielha and those around Andorra are just ordinary modern tunnels with lots of traffic, although the altitude of the Envalira tunnel into Andorra can mean you can't get to it if there is heavy snow and have to take the much lower Puymorens tunnel instead.
Let it snow.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Norfolktolancashire wrote:Now being in a blessed position of driving south between France and Spain this autumn, I would be interested in what routes others on this forum have used to travel over/through or past this high mountain range.
I visited Andorra in the summer. I entered Spain from France on the A-7 (having come from Orange), but I turned off the autopista at the very first exit. I drove the N-II to Figueres, the N-260 to La Seu d'Urgell, and the N-145 into Andorra. I left Andorra by driving the CG-2 to the French border, and following the N22 and N20 towards Toulouse.

I don't know how much help this is, considering that I only stepped over into Spain, but I loved every second of the driving! Both the N-260 and the CG-2-N22-N20 were particularly scenic. There wasn't much traffic either.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Big L
Deputy Site Manager

Post by Big L »

Does fuel still cost pennies in Andorra ?
Make poetry history.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Help with maps using the new online calibrator.
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Big L wrote:Does fuel still cost pennies in Andorra ?
The cheapest I saw was €0.86/l.

Unfortunately I'd brimmed my tank in Spain (which seemed cheap enough), and as Andorra is not very big I never used enough to bother topping up before returning to the land of croissants.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Norfolktolancashire

Alderpoint wrote:Lots of routes across the Pyrenees, but IMO the key ones of interest are Somport, Pourtalet, and the Bielsa tunnel. Also the Peyresourde, although that is E<->W within France and not N<->S between France and Spain.

Somport is nowadays the easiest of these - much improved in the last 20 years with a tunnel which opened in the early 2000s bypassing the most interesting bit over the top.

Pourtalet is the more original and twisty route, few recent improvements as long-distance traffic is directed via Somport. This used to have a scheduled winter closure, but seems nowadays to be generally kept open.

The Bielsa tunnel is very remote, a narrow S2 and when we first drove it about 30 years ago was unlit - although there are now lights.

Be aware that traffic can have a major impact on the time taken to take these roads. Apart from Somport there is little overtaking possibilities and you can get stuck behind a slow lorry for ages. Generally best time to cross is early (v.early) in the morning as soon as it is light when traffic is likely to be at a minimum. Try not to cross the passes in a heavy snowstorm at night - can be somewhat challenging.

Further east the tunnel south of Vielha and those around Andorra are just ordinary modern tunnels with lots of traffic, although the altitude of the Envalira tunnel into Andorra can mean you can't get to it if there is heavy snow and have to take the much lower Puymorens tunnel instead.
We have decided to go via the Somport route this time as am visiting Saint Jean Pied de Port where the long distance footpath to Santiago begins. As in no rush we will drive over the old road over Somport pass avoiding the tunnel. As it is this month I doubt that the snow will have come down that far. Coming back later in the year we are travelling northeast to the Alps so will use the A7 along the coast.
Norfolktolancashire

Owain wrote:
Norfolktolancashire wrote:Now being in a blessed position of driving south between France and Spain this autumn, I would be interested in what routes others on this forum have used to travel over/through or past this high mountain range.
I visited Andorra in the summer. I entered Spain from France on the A-7 (having come from Orange), but I turned off the autopista at the very first exit. I drove the N-II to Figueres, the N-260 to La Seu d'Urgell, and the N-145 into Andorra. I left Andorra by driving the CG-2 to the French border, and following the N22 and N20 towards Toulouse.

I don't know how much help this is, considering that I only stepped over into Spain, but I loved every second of the driving! Both the N-260 and the CG-2-N22-N20 were particularly scenic. There wasn't much traffic either.
I prefer driving in Spain to France, the roads are better quality and lots of cheap car parking in most places. Much of the time you can avoid the motorway tolls, in fact I will use the A23 from the Pyrenees to the Costa Blanca and all 400 miles is free!