Sweden - 50 Years of Driving On The Right

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Sweden - 50 Years of Driving On The Right

Post by ravenbluemoon »

Ok, I missed the anniversary by a day!
rsz_imag2865_1.jpg
I spotted the above picture in a newspaper archive around a month ago, showing some of the preparations for Dagen H, 3 September 1967, when Sweden switched from left hand driving to right hand driving.

The Local has a good article here https://www.thelocal.se/20170904/the-da ... -the-right with details of what happened, plus a recreation of the famous picture on Kungsgatan using vintage cars.

It wasn't without problems though. Many buses and trams became useless overnight, and only Norrköping and Gothenburg decided it was worth keeping their tram networks - the latter is certainly still running stock from the late 60s, which is a pleasant sight.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

WHBM

Re: Sweden - 50 Years of Driving On The Right

Post by WHBM »

All those British vehicles, both cars and commercials, are notable in the old pictures, as well as the recreation.

All buses had to be replaced overnight, and Sweden bought much of the European production of these in summer 1967. Leyland supplied a large number, along with Mercedes and of course Volvo. About 5 years later, most of the Leylands had been junked as unreliable, whereas the others continued ...

It's surprising that a considerable amount of the RHD stock did not reappear in Britain as cheap secondhand.
RichardA626

Post by RichardA626 »

WHBM wrote:All those British vehicles, both cars and commercials, are notable in the old pictures, as well as the recreation.

All buses had to be replaced overnight, and Sweden bought much of the European production of these in summer 1967. Leyland supplied a large number, along with Mercedes and of course Volvo. About 5 years later, most of the Leylands had been junked as unreliable, whereas the others continued ...

It's surprising that a considerable amount of the RHD stock did not reappear in Britain as cheap secondhand.
According to one of my Dad's books some Swedish buses were offered for sale in the UK but there were no takers.

IIRC it was before Volvo were selling new buses in the UK so operators were maybe wary of getting spare parts.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

ravenbluemoon wrote: It wasn't without problems though. Many buses and trams became useless overnight, and only Norrköping and Gothenburg decided it was worth keeping their tram networks - the latter is certainly still running stock from the late 60s, which is a pleasant sight.
The oldest ones that are still running today were brand-new at the changeover, having been brought in shortly before or shortly after September 1967 (they are the ones with numbers in the 7xx range). A number of older trams, now retired, were actually converted by having the doors on the left blocked up and new ones cut on the right. They also managed to run unconverted left-side trams as the second or third in a set by coupling them back-to-front (only the front one had a driver in, and that would be a new/converted one).

I've never really understood why Gothenburg has stuck with unidirectional trams for so long. I understand that at least some of the next generation will be bidirectional, therefore with doors on both sides. The earliest trams still in service on the network - the first electric ones from 1902 - have doors on both sides and cabs at both ends.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
ravenbluemoon
Elected Committee Member

Post by ravenbluemoon »

I don't mind the unidirectional trams, as I'll often be on one with the dog, we have to sit at the back, and get a good view out of the back window. Funny seeing all those turning loops everywhere though, they take up a fair bit of space in a city that's trying to build on any bit of viable land that's going.
Tony Alice (they,them)
~~~~~
Owner of a classic rust heap/money pit, and other unremarkable older vehicles.
Usually found with a head in an old map or road atlas.

Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Ask me if you want to get involved!

FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

ravenbluemoon wrote:I don't mind the unidirectional trams, as I'll often be on one with the dog, we have to sit at the back, and get a good view out of the back window. Funny seeing all those turning loops everywhere though, they take up a fair bit of space in a city that's trying to build on any bit of viable land that's going.
I used to live right by one of the loops. The positive: loads of pears off the tree in the middle of the loop. The negative: the constant squealing as the trams negotiate the tight circle.
Burns

Post by Burns »

Wendover Productions posted a great video on this topic a while back.
exiled
Committee Member

Post by exiled »

Associated Press reporting. Interesting how in most of the pictures most of the vehicles were LHD for years prior.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

FosseWay wrote: I've never really understood why Gothenburg has stuck with unidirectional trams for so long. I understand that at least some of the next generation will be bidirectional, therefore with doors on both sides. The earliest trams still in service on the network - the first electric ones from 1902 - have doors on both sides and cabs at both ends.
Bidirectional trams are much more wasteful of interior space and facilities. The whole set of driving controls has to be duplicated, which adds to the cost and complexity of the vehicle, likewise the doors are always wasted on one side, less seats can be provided, etc. Some loops of track are significantly cheaper.

Trolleybuses (and indeed buses) are never bidirectional, but can you think of the additional complexity if one was designed.