NZ SH1 north of Kaikoura

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Berk

Re: NZ SH1 north of Kaikoura

Post by Berk »

Sort of wondering whether to make another trip -to see North Island this time. It’s hard to decide when. I would like to go during the month of December, and just into New Year, but the flights are so dear then.

Actually flying out there wasn’t too bad an experience, I went on the Kangaroo Route with Qantas. I would like to try going the other way, via LA - but that doesn’t come cheap either.

On North Island itself, is it easier driving through Auckland CBD and across the harbour bridge, or going the long way round?? Somehow I get the impression North Island is more like home, a bit busier. Whereas South Island was just fine, apart from the odd caravan.
sydneynick

Re: NZ SH1 north of Kaikoura

Post by sydneynick »

Travelling from Auckland airport to Helensville last year, I went around the western side of the northern harbour on SH16 as this made sense for that journey.

However, when travelling through Auckland from north to south, it is best to use SH1. This is motorway from well north of Auckland to well south, so there is no driving on city streets.
I can always tell if politicians are lying. Their lips move.