[BEL] A11 Brugge to Kapelle Motorway

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

[BEL] A11 Brugge to Kapelle Motorway

Post by c2R »

I travelled on this over the weekend - it's a fairly impressive piece of infrastructure with several new bridges: https://www.swecobelgium.be/en/our-offe ... -motorway/
http://www.flanderstoday.eu/current-aff ... t-and-port

Traffic to Brugge is now signposted at the Antwerpen end along the A11 rather than via Ghent.

Hopefully the section from Zelzate to Kapelle will be improved next - I've always thought since the road opened in the 80s that signal controlled junctions on a road that looks and feels like a motorway is an interesting experience! https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.19915 ... 312!8i6656

The route, however, would be much more useful for us in the UK if the missing link from Jabbeke to Blauwe Toren (formerly given the number A301) was completed as it would the completely bypass the Brugge urban area.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Vierwielen

Re: [BEL] A11 Brugge to Kapelle Motorway

Post by Vierwielen »

I agree that the route would be much more useful to British drivers if a link to Jabbeke were included - this would divert Eurotunnel traffic to the Netherlands onto the N49 or, from a Belgian point of view, across the Dutch border via Sluis thereby giving the Dutch the job of maintaining the link.

You can see what you missed yesterday by visiting this site. (A knowledge of Dutch will help: "Fiets" = "Bicycle"; "stappen" = "to walk"). Cyclists had a 33 km route that they could follow.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

Thanks for that - it is impressive the level of cycle infrastructure that has gone in with the scheme - I'd love for that level of off-line provision in the UK.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Fluid Dynamics

Post by Fluid Dynamics »

c2R wrote:Thanks for that - it is impressive the level of cycle infrastructure that has gone in with the scheme - I'd love for that level of off-line provision in the UK.
I've been waiting for that section of the A11 to be completed. The route around Bruges to the A11 could be quite a slog. Will be useful, especially when trying to avoid Antwerp to get to the central Netherlands. Occasionally I have used used the Westerschelde Tunnel, which will now be easier to access as the Dutch have also been improving the route between the Tunnel and Sluis. Its 5 euro, but at 6km dialled bored tunnel 200ft under the Scheldt its quite an impressive piece of infratstructure.