Prague Road Tunnels

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

FleetlinePhil

Prague Road Tunnels

Post by FleetlinePhil »

In the light of several tunnel-driving experiences recounted on the "Channel Tunnel to Island then Bridge" thread, I wondered if any of you has had experience of driving in the string of road tunnels that has gradually been created round the west side of Prague? Whilst I was aware of the existence of the older tunnels (Mrázovka and Strahovský) at the southern end of the string, I had never actually seen them. It was the recent appearance of this portal https://goo.gl/maps/ucrHVB4cf9p just W of Hradčanská tram stop on my last visit that made me realise the northern extension round to Trója had been completed, consisting of three further sections of tunnel (Brusnický, Dejvický and Bubenečský from south to north) collectively known as the Blanka Tunnel Complex. The total length of the new sections is quoted on Wikipedia at around 5.5km, which it claims is the longest city in Europe, which seems pretty plausible. The whole route is covered on GSV, and does look a remarkable piece of engineering. I have always thought (from the safety of a tram) that Prague's motorists seem to be reasonably disciplined, so perhaps merges in tunnels aren't as scary as they look :shock: !
As yet there are no bus routes using any of the tunnels, although I dug out a translation of the Czech Wikipedia article which suggests it is under consideration on the northernmost section. This does actually cross under the Vltava river, actually quite close to where a new bridge was also built recently at Trojský most. For those unfamiliar with the topography, the rest of the tunnel alignments around the west side of the city are to provide a south-north through route through an area of east-west ridges and valleys, and where the only strip of land next to the river (also flowing south-north at this point) is part of the historic city core.
wibble

Re: Prague Road Tunnels

Post by wibble »

I've not driven much in Prague for 10 years or so, but I remember the benefits when the previous set of tunnels opened - the southern ones first - I ha to relearn a new set of "optimal" routes overnight!

I've not yet driven any of the new tunnels (my normal journeys in Prague don't tend to use the northern half of the city, but I'll be back in May, so might just have to find an excuse to go that way.

I find that Prague drivers are not too bad for big city motorists - I think it helps that the road network is very well developed (and getting better), so normally the traffic flows quite well. I'm always amazed what the Czechs managed to build even under Communism, their design standards have always been very good, even for S2 rural routes; they often put to shame the hodge podge of roundabout infested trunk roads that the UK puts up with!