[F] Calais Eurotunnel - Rest Area Ghyvelde (video)

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

MarcoUK
Account deactivated at user request

[F] Calais Eurotunnel - Rest Area Ghyvelde (video)

Post by MarcoUK »

Calais Eurotunnel - Rest Area Ghyvelde x3.2
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Re: [F] Calais Eurotunnel - Rest Area Ghyvelde (video)

Post by c2R »

Nice, it's so much quicker now than it was when I first started going over to Germany, and none of that lot was built - so if you did Dover-Calais rather than Zeebrugge or the Hook, it seemed like an eternity even getting to Belgium on the old N1, and then queueing for immigration control.....
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

It's amazing that it was as late as 1998 before the A16 was finished. I know the lack of decent roads up that way always influenced us going Newhaven-Dieppe when heading to the Loire valley; this was based on a bad experience in 1992 when we had to go from Calais to Dieppe because of ferry cancellations. No autoroutes whatsoever, and about 5-6 hours driving.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Bryn666 wrote:It's amazing that it was as late as 1998 before the A16 was finished. I know the lack of decent roads up that way always influenced us going Newhaven-Dieppe when heading to the Loire valley; this was based on a bad experience in 1992 when we had to go from Calais to Dieppe because of ferry cancellations. No autoroutes whatsoever, and about 5-6 hours driving.
I'm doing Newhaven-Dieppe this summer.

It'll be an opportunity to complete the A22 and A26 on the UK side, and the A13, A6 and (returning) A4 on the French side.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

Bryn666 wrote:It's amazing that it was as late as 1998 before the A16 was finished. I know the lack of decent roads up that way always influenced us going Newhaven-Dieppe when heading to the Loire valley; this was based on a bad experience in 1992 when we had to go from Calais to Dieppe because of ferry cancellations. No autoroutes whatsoever, and about 5-6 hours driving.
It was finished by December 1999 - driving back to the UK for Christmas, I decided to calibrate my speedo against the Belgian kilometre markers. The road was very quiet and I maintained exactly 120 km/h (as per my dual-unit speedo) and took a few seconds over five minutes to cover 10 km. As a result I deduced that my speedo was reading about 2% over the true speed.