[F] A6/A7 downgraded in Lyon

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Re: [F] A6/A7 downgraded in Lyon

Post by Bryn666 »

Grenoble and Chambery seem impossible to sensibly avoid due to the geography so a few Euros for the Crit'Air badge seems a small price to pay really.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

A303Chris wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:21
Norfolktolancashire wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 21:41 I notice that Lyon now has one of those pollution restriction schemes called Crit'Air where certain classes of vehicles are banned from the Lyon area on days where pollution is high.

A similar scheme ran in nearby Grenoble which created a 50 mile diversion for myself last autumn as I did not have the relevant document!
Just got my Crit'Air as I am off to The Alps for the Tour in 10 days and will be going through Grenoble and Lyon. Cost me 4.27 euros on line to get a sticker and paperwork, just had to fill a form in and scan in my V5. All the details are on the RAC driving in France website
Hmm ... this is news to me!

I went driving happily around France in April without a sticker. I drove into Reims and Troyes, neither of which appear to have these zones, but in a few weeks' time I'm supposed to be driving into Lyon and Stasbourg, which apparently do. It looks like I might need to alter some bookings, so as to stay out of those cities.

How long did your sticker take to arrive, Chris?
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

Owain wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 07:59
A303Chris wrote: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:21
Hmm ... this is news to me!

I went driving happily around France in April without a sticker. I drove into Reims and Troyes, neither of which appear to have these zones, but in a few weeks' time I'm supposed to be driving into Lyon and Stasbourg, which apparently do. It looks like I might need to alter some bookings, so as to stay out of those cities.

I did it last Friday and the following day I got an invoice by email which states I'm Euro 1, cleanest after an electric card. The email states the sticker will come by post but the invoice can be used a proof. I have to still take my V5 with me as you must have the official document with you as well. I go next Saturday so I hope the sticker should come soon
The M25 - The road to nowhere
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

A303Chris wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:22
Owain wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 07:59Hmm ... this is news to me!

I did it last Friday and the following day I got an invoice by email which states I'm Euro 1, cleanest after an electric card. The email states the sticker will come by post but the invoice can be used a proof. I have to still take my V5 with me as you must have the official document with you as well. I go next Saturday so I hope the sticker should come soon
Thanks Chris!

I leave on 22 July. From the RAC and AA websites, it seems that you only need the vignette if you are going to drive into a restricted zone. As I didn't do that on my trips to Reims and Troyes, I didn't have any problem.

However, in Lyon, I think that I would. Both of my Rover 75s are probably Euro 3 category, and I'd imagine that I might have trouble if I got caught driving either of them in there. So I've cancelled my Lyon booking, which was for 2 nights en route to Italy. I'm glad you posted about the Crit'Air vignettes, otherwise I would never have known!

I'm getting off the ferry in Dieppe and heading to Milan. I had hoped to spend a whole day in Lyon (2 nights either side), but now I'll probably just book one night at somewhere like Auxerre, and then a second night over the border in somewhere like Susa. I guess I could even head down the A71-A75 with a stop at Clermond-Ferrand, so that I can drive the Millau Viaduct!

On my return, I have a non-refundable 2-night stay booked in Strasbourg - which has one of the new Crit'Air zones - but as it's only a small city I'll just dump the car somewhere in the suburbs and walk to my apartment in the city centre.

Viva la Repubblica!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The Crit'Air is essentially a permit to drive in clean air zones when pollution levels are extremely high - usually on smoggy days.

Most of the time you won't need it, but as soon as restrictions come into play, you need one to prove you are entitled to drive within the zone. Vehicles are categorised as class 1 to 5 or Green - Green applies to hybrids and non-polluting vehicles, whereas 1 to 5 is dependent on emissions ratings and fuel type (there are no class 1 diesels).

Not having a Crit'Air when restrictions are in place - even if you have an electric car - could land you with an on-the-spot penalty. The Green Zones app is useful to have on your phone as this will tell you what restrictions are in place on a daily basis.

My car has a class 2 sticker ready for when we go in 10 days time, as we'll be 25 minutes outside of Lille.

As for the A6/A7 downgrading, I believe it is still autoroute on the ground. Probably be a case of downgrading once the replacement is built.
Voie Rapide / Mótarbhealaí
Updated 1 November 2019!
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

I've registered the car I'm taking, and am now trying to work out how to get to Italy travelling through as few of these zones as possible.

Both of my cars are Cat. 4. :paperbag:

Viva la Repubblica!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Bryn

Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Bryn666 wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 09:41 https://www.crit-air.fr/fr/informations ... nceau.html

Signs to look out for.
Thanks - duly noted! There's a good enlargeable map showing the zones quite clearly here.

After cancelling my booking in Lyon, I found a replacement in Auxerre, which is not in any of these zones. I'm off the ferry in Dieppe at 5am, and will have plenty of time to drive there - using A13-Périphérique-A6 if there is no warning in place, or avoiding Paris completely if Cat. 4 is banned.

From Auxerre, I've then got a range of options for getting to Milan. My preferred one is to drive over Mont Cenis, but the Alpine regions of France seem to be inundated with these zones, so if there are restrictions I'll just head for Geneva and drive through Switzerland to either the Grand St Bernard Pass, or the Simplon.

On the return I'm supposed to be staying in Strasbourg, and that might cause a problem if there's a restriction in place. The cost of the fine is scarcely more than it would cost me to book another place to stay for two nights (my Strasbourg booking is non-refundable), so even if there's a restriction in place it might just be worth driving there anyway and taking the risk!

I think I'll head through Belgium and Germany next year, as I can't be doing with all this fuss.

Viva la Repubblica!
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

Owain wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 19:53
A303Chris wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:22 How long did your sticker take to arrive, Chris?
Owain, So you are aware my sticker arrived in the post Wednesday, 11 days after doing it on line. All ready for the off tomorrow.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

A303Chris wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 13:46
Owain wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 19:53
A303Chris wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:22 How long did your sticker take to arrive, Chris?
Owain, So you are aware my sticker arrived in the post Wednesday, 11 days after doing it on line. All ready for the off tomorrow.
Thanks Chris - have a great trip!

If my sticker doesn't arrive, I'll take my email.

Viva la Repubblica!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The ULEZ is going to be the same thing here. Be interested what the howls of outrage will be like :shock:
Bryn

Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Off the ferry in Dieppe at 5am yesterday. Now in Auxerre. I drove N27-A13-Périphérique (joy! :D )-A6.

There were no Crit'Air restrictions against my car. However, on entering the Île-de-France region, an autoroute VMS said that the speed limit had been reduced by 20km/h for air quality reasons. Thereafter, there were illuminated reminders that the limit on the autoroute is 130km/h. Confusing. :? On the A6 there were even more vague VMS messages simply saying something to the effect of "Risk of air pollution. Reduce speed". None of the French drivers seemed to care. The ones driving slowly looked like the kind of people who'd drive slowly all the time.

It made little difference to my progress. As I was driving on only two hours' sleep I was just cruising at about 100, and when I drive into a large continental city I go completely passive and drive very cautiously.

I'm staying in Auxerre today without doing any driving. Tomorrow I have to get to Milan, and most of the Crit'Air zones seem to be in central and southern France, which it not what I would have expected. If any restrictions against Cat 4 are in place near Lyon and the A43 - my preferred route being over Mont Cenis on the old N6 - I'll have to detour through Switzerland.

vers A6.jpg

Viva la Repubblica!
ChrisH
Elected Committee Member

Post by ChrisH »

Owain wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 17:24 I think I'll head through Belgium and Germany next year, as I can't be doing with all this fuss.
Be aware that the Belgians are getting in on the act as well. In Flanders there are clear air zones which are incredibly poorly signed. I registered my car when I drove over there earlier in the year and had no problems - but could have received a big fine if I hadn't pre-registered.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

ChrisH wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 09:26
Owain wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 17:24 I think I'll head through Belgium and Germany next year, as I can't be doing with all this fuss.
Be aware that the Belgians are getting in on the act as well. In Flanders there are clear air zones which are incredibly poorly signed. I registered my car when I drove over there earlier in the year and had no problems - but could have received a big fine if I hadn't pre-registered.
Thanks for the tip! In April I drove one of my old cars right into the centre of Brussels!! I had no idea.

Viva la Repubblica!
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

Owain wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 09:13

I'm staying in Auxerre today without doing any driving. Tomorrow I have to get to Milan, and most of the Crit'Air zones seem to be in central and southern France, which it not what I would have expected. If any restrictions against Cat 4 are in place near Lyon and the A43 - my preferred route being over Mont Cenis on the old N6 - I'll have to detour through Switzerland.

vers A6.jpg
Just got back on Monday and went through Grenoble several times and the restrictions do no apply to the A48, A480, Rocade Sud (N87) or the A41 so if you stay on the main roads , no problem.

At Lyon, bypass routes, A46, A432 again no problem and drove through the centre on the A7/A6 northbound on Monday morning and again the restrictions do not apply to the autoroute. Had the same signs in Lyon about air pollution and reducing by 20 kph but the variable message times still said 110 kph. I went through Paris at 8.30 am on a Sunday morning a week before, that was still fun on the periphrique (A1 to A6 via the east side). Stayed at 70 kph the speed limit all the way and didn't get out of lane 2.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

A303Chris wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 09:52 Just got back on Monday and went through Grenoble several times and the restrictions do no apply to the A48, A480, Rocade Sud (N87) or the A41 so if you stay on the main roads , no problem.

At Lyon, bypass routes, A46, A432 again no problem and drove through the centre on the A7/A6 northbound on Monday morning and again the restrictions do not apply to the autoroute. Had the same signs in Lyon about air pollution and reducing by 20 kph but the variable message times still said 110 kph. I went through Paris at 8.30 am on a Sunday morning a week before, that was still fun on the periphrique (A1 to A6 via the east side). Stayed at 70 kph the speed limit all the way and didn't get out of lane 2.
You actually managed to do 70 on the Périphérique? I'm not sure I've ever got into 3rd gear on it!

I managed Auxerre to Milan via A6-A40-A42-A432-A43-Mont Cenis Pass-A32-A4. The reason for the odd route around Lyon was my desire to complete the A40, as I was missing the bit between A6 and A39. But it helped to keep me away from the urban area of Lyon.

Did you enjoy the A6/A7 through the city?

Viva la Repubblica!
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

Owain wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 21:44
You actually managed to do 70 on the Périphérique? I'm not sure I've ever got into 3rd gear on it!

I managed Auxerre to Milan via A6-A40-A42-A432-A43-Mont Cenis Pass-A32-A4. The reason for the odd route around Lyon was my desire to complete the A40, as I was missing the bit between A6 and A39. But it helped to keep me away from the urban area of Lyon.

Did you enjoy the A6/A7 through the city?
I did the Peripherique at 8am on a Sunday morning, so relatively quiet.

I did enjoy the A7/A6 run through Lyon on Monday morning, you would never build that now. Did like the A7/A6 junction, held up for 15 minutes, the 3 lanes from the A7 and the two over the bridge from the city centre crossing the Rhone into 2 lanes in the tunnel obviously creates issues even at 11.30am. The access into a car park from the slip road of the main north south motorway was an interesting discovery.

I saw coming back, that from the A31 / A5 southbound, Grenoble is signed A39, A40, A42, A432, A43 instead of straight on via the A6 even though it's about 40 to 50 km longer
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

The road numbers have now changed.

The A6 south of Limonest is M6 - a happy car metropolitan route, likewise the A7 is the M7 down to the A450 junction.
Bryn

A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

ChrisH wrote: Tue Jul 24, 2018 09:26
Thank god I read this, off to Antwerp in May to see Queen, and booked hotel in city centre. Lucky i'm Euro 6, but still need to register
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

Bryn666 wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 15:54 The road numbers have now changed.

The A6 south of Limonest is M6 - a happy car metropolitan route, likewise the A7 is the M7 down to the A450 junction.
Are they still under autoroute restrictions?