Dashcams in Europe

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

A181

Dashcams in Europe

Post by A181 »

Do any of our European members know the current situation of dashcam use is in - particularly - Luxemburg. Various places on t'internet say

a) It is illegal to use a dashcam in Lux
b) It is illegal to OWN a dashcam in Lux
c) everything is changing on May 25

To play safe I will disconnect and hide my dashcam when in Lux next month, but there are dashcam videos from Lux on YouTube so what's the current situation

thanks / merci / danke
Truvelo

Re: Dashcams in Europe

Post by Truvelo »

Unless the police stare at the windscreen of every passing vehicle what's the chance of being caught? And what happened on the 25th?
How would you like your grade separations, Sir?
Big and complex.
A181

Post by A181 »

Somewhere I read that on 25th May, there was a possibility that Lux laws would be changed, but there doesn't seem to have been anything more said about it. Possibly something to do with the privacy law that we'va all been getting bombarded with emails about!
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

You are probably referring to the eu General Data Protection Regulation 2016. This regulation seeks to harmonise data protection rules across the EU, though leaving the process by which member states implement the rules up to the states themselves.

My guess is that under the new regulations the use of dashcams will become lawful Europe-wise because the regulations make it is lawful to gather and process data "in order to protect the vital interests of the data subject or of another natural person" (See here: Article 6, para 1d). Using a dashcam as evidence should one be involved in an accident is almost certainly regarded as "protecting one's vital interests".