Iceland - Route One (Sigur Rós)

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

orudge
Site Manager

Iceland - Route One (Sigur Rós)

Post by orudge »

I've just discovered that, in 2016, Sigur Rós had a 24 hour "slow television" event, featuring a drive around Iceland's Route 1, set to automatically generated music. The footage can be found at the bottom of this page - the 1080p videos are around 8 hours long each. There's also a 4K 360 degree VR version, if you have suitable technology to view it with.
Andy J
Account deactivated at user request

Re: Iceland - Route One (Sigur Rós)

Post by Andy J »

Not sure why they would have seemingly filmed that in poor weather in winter - on the whole I think I prefer our two week circumnavigation of Iceland last month. :P

Parts of Route 1 were impressive but you needed to stop to appreciate it as the most impressive vistas, and the glaciers, waterfalls, geysers, volcanoes etc, were generally a mile or so off the route.
orudge
Site Manager

Post by orudge »

Hm, it says "on the longest day of summer 2016 sigur rós drove the whole way round iceland’s ring road" - I imagine the first video was mainly shot in the early hours of the morning.
Andy J

Post by Andy J »

orudge wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 13:31 Hm, it says "on the longest day of summer 2016 sigur rós drove the whole way round iceland’s ring road" - I imagine the first video was mainly shot in the early hours of the morning.
Well the weather was pants then. :laugh:
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

Andy J wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 14:03
orudge wrote: Wed Jun 20, 2018 13:31 Hm, it says "on the longest day of summer 2016 sigur rós drove the whole way round iceland’s ring road" - I imagine the first video was mainly shot in the early hours of the morning.
Well the weather was pants then. :laugh:
What do you expect? Welcome to the Scandinavian midsummer! For about 6 weeks in May and early June we had temperatures between 25 and 33C and no rain. As soon as midsummer approaches, the weather goes to pot. It's now about 15C and raining, and when it's not raining it's so windy that you get wet from the sea anyway. And Iceland is a good 5-6 degrees further north from me.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Andy J

Post by Andy J »

FosseWay wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:00 What do you expect? Welcome to the Scandinavian midsummer! For about 6 weeks in May and early June we had temperatures between 25 and 33C and no rain. As soon as midsummer approaches, the weather goes to pot. It's now about 15C and raining, and when it's not raining it's so windy that you get wet from the sea anyway. And Iceland is a good 5-6 degrees further north from me.
It was consistently 8 - 11 degrees in mid-May, which was just fine for me. The locals were complaining it should have been a bit warmer at that time of year though. Very few cars on the roads, not sure I was either overtaken or doing the overtaking the whole time we were there once we left Reykjavik. The few cars there were were all driving at the speed limit. The Icelandic tourist season is only June to August though so it may be manic up there now.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

I was on a conducted tour of Iceland in 1983. In the north-east of a country is a particularly barren area known as "Death Valley". Unlike it's counterpart in California, you will not die of heat if you are stranded there, but rather of cold.