The VERY slow-paced introduction of roundabouts to Japan

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Viator

The VERY slow-paced introduction of roundabouts to Japan

Post by Viator »

Although the provision of modern-style roundabouts has been allowed in Japan since (I think) 2014, they remain extremely thin on the ground -- and where they do exist they tend to be very heavily signed: see this example, photographed in Hanyū Ciy, Saitama Prefecture, in April 2017.

The biggest problem, apparently, is that Japanese motorists have been brought up to believe in a totally black-and-white "I must stop OR everyone else must stop" culture -- with no room for any give-and-take assessment of a situation (especially not one relying on -- oh, horrors! -- eye-to-eye contact between drivers). That's why there are so many traffic lights, millions of "stop" signs, and absolutely no "give way" signs in Japan. (Come to think of it: not so very different from the situation in North America.)
RichardA626

Re: The VERY slow-paced introduction of roundabouts to Japan

Post by RichardA626 »

I heard they were considered too confusing when they were first considered for use in Japan.

According to someone I used to work with roundabouts aren't used in Indonesia, & she reckoned drivers would be very confused by them.
Beware of the trickster on the roof
Viator

Post by Viator »

RichardA626 wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 19:44 I heard they were considered too confusing when they were first considered for use in Japan.

According to someone I used to work with roundabouts aren't used in Indonesia, & she reckoned drivers would be very confused by them.
With respect to your former colleague, there certainly are roundabouts in Indonesia (probably more in Jakarta than in the whole of Japan), but what there isn't is very much idea of lane discipline -- or any other kind of observance of most of the rules of the road! https://youtu.be/prbXozlPx1c
Peter Freeman

Post by Peter Freeman »

Viator wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 09:14 there certainly are roundabouts in Indonesia
Quite a lot in Bali (part of Indonesia)
Viator wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 09:14 … but what there isn't is very much idea of lane discipline -- or any other kind of observance of most of the rules of the road! https://youtu.be/prbXozlPx1c
Drive anywhere in INDIA and the lane discipline (lack of) and the routine non-observance of road rules is similar to that video clip - but even worse!
Chris Bertram

Post by Chris Bertram »

Peter Freeman wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 13:23 Drive anywhere in INDIA and the lane discipline (lack of) and the routine non-observance of road rules is similar to that video clip - but even worse!
Been there, and while I haven't been behind the wheel myself, I'll agree with you completely. I assume they have some sort of driving test, but it can't be very demanding. Pass on the right or the left, it's all the same, traffic lights are suggestion rather than instruction, speed limits are for decoration only and lane markings are just there to hold the concrete together. Tuk-tuks (auto rickshaws) and scooters may well drive against the traffic on dual carriageways in congested conditions. All vehicles have a sign "STOP Signal" next to the nearside brake light, and most vans and lorries ask for "Horn please", not sure why but it means the roads are a very noisy place. Most of my colleagues there have had some sort of collision, usually minor but inconvenient nonetheless.
“The quality of any advice anybody has to offer has to be judged against the quality of life they actually lead.” - Douglas Adams.

Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Viator wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 18:15 Although the provision of modern-style roundabouts has been allowed in Japan since (I think) 2014, they remain extremely thin on the ground -- and where they do exist they tend to be very heavily signed: see this example, photographed in Hanyū Ciy, Saitama Prefecture, in April 2017.

The biggest problem, apparently, is that Japanese motorists have been brought up to believe in a totally black-and-white "I must stop OR everyone else must stop" culture -- with no room for any give-and-take assessment of a situation (especially not one relying on -- oh, horrors! -- eye-to-eye contact between drivers). That's why there are so many traffic lights, millions of "stop" signs, and absolutely no "give way" signs in Japan. (Come to think of it: not so very different from the situation in North America.)
Interesting image, also looks to emulate US design rather than our awful entry path overlaps.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck