Driving the Aursjøvegen, Norway

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

rpmmatt

Driving the Aursjøvegen, Norway

Post by rpmmatt »

Just a quick timelapse video from Norway again.

The Aursjøvegen https://goo.gl/maps/PsnspoEPDdR2

https://youtu.be/iLMNkY5lHcA

The tolled section of the Aursjøvegen is an approx. 50km road originally built for construction traffic building the Aursjoen dam. Climbing to an altitude of over 940m(3100ft) the road takes you through some of Norway's most breath taking scenery. Starting at Sunndalsøra toll gate, the road stays low in the valley before climbing sharply up the side of the mountain with many hairpin turns and a short tunnel. The next few km's take you towards and along the side of Lake Aursjoen, what was once three lakes is now one large one due to the hydro electric dam. Many holiday cabins dot the valley which forms the meeting point of three mountain ranges. After driving around the head of the mountain range you have just climbed, you can cross the dam into the next valley heading towards Eikesdalen. Just past this dam was my cabin. The road follows along with the valley gorge a few km's off to the right. After passing the base jumping point "Aurstaupnet" the road starts to descend rapidly, with many hairpin turns and then a tunnel which actually loops under itself in the mountain. The last few km's sees you approach the fertile valley floor with many farms and some fantastic giant boulders dotted randomly about left aeons ago by the ice.

The road was smooth but mostly gravel and speed was low. Coming down the hill was pretty much 1st gear for engine braking. The toll was 100nok(about 10gbp) and is well worth it. The views were breath taking and if your even mildly outdoorsy there are limitless hiking and swimming opportunities. The weather can change in an instant however and several times over the week I found myself driving down into the clouds from above with very poor visibility.

For context, heres some drone footage from the Austaupet viewing point. This is used by base jumpers and is called "the lazy jump" as you can drive right up the mountain. It helps give a sense of the terrain and scale of the place. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqMhJDBDvJw. You can clearly see the road heading down the mountain towards Eikesdalen and in the other direction to the dam.

I recommend this road to anyone if they are in the area, there is small cafe/restaurant by the dam and countless places for photo opportunities.
Conversely, I drove all the way out to the Atlantic Road, and was very disappointed. The road was just 5km long, with one bridge. Norway has much better to offer in terms of road infrastructure so don't get taken in by the hype to visit that. The Aursjøvegen is only 100km further inland, and is a far better use of your time and far less other people getting in your way.
Burns

Re: Driving the Aursjøvegen, Norway

Post by Burns »

That's a road that's been on my list for a while. I was in that area recently but it was a bit far out to fit into any of my days out. Still, it gives me an excuse to go back, not that I need one. The curving tunnel looks interesting. I've been into a few like that and they're always a great experience. As for the Atlantic Road, I drove out that way but I made a day of it by taking the Krifast route over Gjemnessundbrua and through the Freifjordtunnelen to Kristiansund before doubling back to the Atlantic Road through the Atlantic Tunnel. I was expecting only to find one notable bridge on the actual Atlantic Road so I was pleased with what I saw but I'm in no rush to go back.

If you're interested, here are the photos from my recent trip to Norway. I started out at Gardermoen, drove to Ålesund to stay for half the week before spending the remaining half in Hellesylt so I visit some more glaciers.