New roads in Poland and Czech Republic

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

SteveA30

New roads in Poland and Czech Republic

Post by SteveA30 »

Snapped these from trains during an Interrail tour in June. The first is somewhere between Ostrava and Rybnik in the Czech Republic but, can't remember exactly where. Satellite shows no construction or dotted lines.
Second is an extension of E261 (S5) towards Leszno, between Wroclaw and Poznan. It will bypass the S2 Rydzyna bypass. Traffic was leaving at Kaczkowo and taking the soon to be old E261 on the other side of the train.

Rail route via tunnel, Brussels, Frankfurt, Nuremberg, Prague, Brno, Katowice, Auschwitz, Wolsztyn, Poznan, Szczecin, Berlin, Brussels, home.

Anyone else been to Auschwitz? I thought 2 hours would cover it. I ended up staying from 9-6.
Attachments
Europe 2018 016 road bridge piers.jpeg
Europe 2018 003 new E261.jpeg
Roads and holidays in the west, before motorways.
http://trektothewest.shutterfly.com
http://holidayroads.webs.com/
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Re: New roads in Poland and Czech Republic

Post by FosseWay »

SteveA30 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:20 Anyone else been to Auschwitz? I thought 2 hours would cover it. I ended up staying from 9-6.
Yes, I was there at Easter and was there the whole day (though the trip included a bus ride from/to Kraków). It was sunny but bitingly cold, and I had all the clothes you expect a reasonably well-off western person to have in such conditions. Quite apart from the gas chambers and other deliberate violence, it is hard to understand how anyone survived the hypothermia that must have been rife among starving prisoners wearing only pyjama-like clothes and no shoes.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

FosseWay wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 16:54
SteveA30 wrote: Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:20 Anyone else been to Auschwitz? I thought 2 hours would cover it. I ended up staying from 9-6.
Yes, I was there at Easter and was there the whole day (though the trip included a bus ride from/to Kraków). It was sunny but bitingly cold, and I had all the clothes you expect a reasonably well-off western person to have in such conditions. Quite apart from the gas chambers and other deliberate violence, it is hard to understand how anyone survived the hypothermia that must have been rife among starving prisoners wearing only pyjama-like clothes and no shoes.
You either toiled to death or froze to death if you were spared the gas chambers. When you read about the horrors of it, gas seemed the quickest way out of it.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Glenn A

Post by Glenn A »

Auschwitz was a huge place spread over several sites dedicated to death and slave labour. Imagine sites as big as Sellafield dedicated to mass murder. If you weren't gassed, or gunned down by some bored SS man, there was the prospect of being worked to death or used for medical experiments. Truly an evil place.
darrenpufc

Post by darrenpufc »

Glenn A wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 19:10 Auschwitz was a huge place spread over several sites dedicated to death and slave labour. Imagine sites as big as Sellafield dedicated to mass murder. If you weren't gassed, or gunned down by some bored SS man, there was the prospect of being worked to death or used for medical experiments. Truly an evil place.
A spooky place too Glenn. Not sure if it were the same when you visited , but when myself & the other half visited several years ago we spent around 90 minutes at Birkenau ( Auschwitz 2 ) & never saw a single bird fly past. Glad we went , but at the same time an evil place as you say.
Darren
Enceladus

Post by Enceladus »

Friends who have been to Auschwitz have told me they were deeply moved by the experience and were speechless after their visits. It is a place I want to see to remind myself of the evil humans will perpetrate on one another when hatred is allowed to grow and spread.

A place of pure, utter evil.
Certified Roads Geek ... and proud of it!
darrenpufc

Post by darrenpufc »

Enceladus wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 03:24 Friends who have been to Auschwitz have told me they were deeply moved by the experience and were speechless after their visits. It is a place I want to see to remind myself of the evil humans will perpetrate on one another when hatred is allowed to grow and spread.

A place of pure, utter evil.
If you do go - and decide public transport from Krakow - the bus is a much better option that the rickety & slow train .
Darren