Genoa bridge collapse

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

ForestChav
SABRE Developer

Re: Genoa bridge collapse

Post by ForestChav »

RichardA35 wrote: Tue Jun 30, 2020 22:06 I've read an article tonight quoting late July as the reopening date for the Polcevera viaduct (Morandi viaduct) in Genoa. Good work if they make it, the last deck section was placed in April.
That's good work, wonder if we will have the A52 open at Clifton by the end of 2020...
C, E flat and G go into a bar. The barman says "sorry, we don't serve minors". So E flat walks off, leaving C and G to share an open fifth between them.

Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.
BOH

Post by BOH »

I stood underneath the replacement bridge last week. Opening soon

I would post a piccy from underneath the bridge but when I click on the "Insert Image" button all that happens is this I get a "img][/img" and nothing else. Can I insert an image from my PC hard drive?
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

BOH wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 19:14 I stood underneath the replacement bridge last week. Opening soon

I would post a piccy from underneath the bridge but when I click on the "Insert Image" button all that happens is this I get a "img][/img" and nothing else. Can I insert an image from my PC hard drive?
You can - click "attachments" under the post reply box. Beware - there are file size limits.

Alternatively you can upload images to the Wiki and link to them there.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
BOH

Post by BOH »

Bryn666 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 20:05
BOH wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 19:14 I stood underneath the replacement bridge last week. Opening soon

You can - click "attachments" under the post reply box. Beware - there are file size limits.

Yes you are right. Even a 650kb file size is apparently too large. Ridiculous!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

BOH wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 23:17
Bryn666 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 20:05

Yes you are right. Even a 650kb file size is apparently too large. Ridiculous!
The limit on the wiki is about 1MB. Storage space costs money.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
hoagy_ytfc

Post by hoagy_ytfc »

But it applies size limits (*) even if one links to a file one hosts oneself, which is crazy.

* Unless it's changed since I last tried.
Glen
Social Media Admin

Post by Glen »

hoagy_ytfc wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:49 But it applies size limits (*) even if one links to a file one hosts oneself, which is crazy.

* Unless it's changed since I last tried.
That's pixel limits, so it doesn't cause sideways scrolling when displayed in a thread*.
You can just post the direct link to the image with URL tags, rather than IMG tags.

*Older versions of phpbb used to do that, newer versions may have resolved it.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

The replacement bridge opens today! It's a completely different design; I didn't realise the new one was going to be neither suspended nor cable-stayed.

Special edition of Corriere della Sera here: in Italiano, but features a video
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Mark Hewitt

Genoa bridge collapse

Post by Mark Hewitt »

Owain wrote:The replacement bridge opens today! It's a completely different design; I didn't realise the new one was going to be neither suspended nor cable-stayed.

2 years. They got on with that one.

Can't see the video. Says page not available.

Found a video on YouTube and it looks nice!
A303Chris
Elected Committee Member

Post by A303Chris »

BBC report with architect including a video in English. Amazing this was built in one year
The M25 - The road to nowhere
2 Sheds

Post by 2 Sheds »

Wouldn’t happen here. We’d still be consulting on who we needed to consult about whether we should have a public inquiry about whether great crested water voles might be living there.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Owain wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:17 The replacement bridge opens today! It's a completely different design; I didn't realise the new one was going to be neither suspended nor cable-stayed.

Not sure if the article references it but part of the design is that the number of lighting columns have been designed so that they represent each life lost in the collapse from what I recall. That's the sort of subtle but significant touch that makes this replacement project even more remarkable.

As for the spans, I was originally expecting some kind of cable-stayed structure to replace it given the rail yards but it looks like a conventional sequence of spans has been slotted in against them. Hopefully a dark chapter in Italian infrastructure history can be closed with this.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Fenlander

Post by Fenlander »

Given how quickly they have got the replacement designed, built and open I wonder if they'll look at replacing some of the other near life-expired bridges, especially as they can do the planning and potentially some of the building before removing the old?
M4Simon
Elected Committee Member

Post by M4Simon »

Fenlander wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 14:13 Given how quickly they have got the replacement designed, built and open I wonder if they'll look at replacing some of the other near life-expired bridges, especially as they can do the planning and potentially some of the building before removing the old?
There is an important difference. One of the reasons they were able to build this bridge so quickly is that it is exactly on the line of the previous bridge. For obvious reasons there was no question of needing to keep the old bridge open. In terms of statutory processes, the oversailing and planning rights were in place (or whatever the Italian equivalents were), and all the connecting roads and tunnels were complete. There was also a huge political will to get the remainder of the old bridge removed. So, admittedly on a different scale, construction of the new bridge involved the removal of the old and building a new one in the same space, which is much quicker and easier than going through the processes to build a new bridge from scratch. Compare this with the replacement of the burned span of Pont Mathilde in Rouen 7 or 8 years ago, which also took about a year.

When looking at the other near life-expired bridges they would be looking to keep the old bridge going until the new bridge could be completed, which means building the new bridge on a different alignment, with new approach roads connecting in under live traffic. A good comparison would be the Queensferry Crossing - had it been possible to strengthen or widen the existing bridge, or replace it on line while maintaining traffic flow, you can be sure that is what they would have done.

I think you'd be more likely to see significant strengthening works to extend the lives of the existing bridges, and then a more leisurely replacement of the old bridge. A major part of the justification for the off-line A14 upgrade was that the Huntingdon Viaduct which is now being demolished was life-expired. Indeed, it needed significant strengthening about 10 years ago to keep it going until the new alignment could be delivered.

Simon
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!

Please contact me if you want to know more
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Mark Hewitt wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:31
Owain wrote:The replacement bridge opens today! It's a completely different design; I didn't realise the new one was going to be neither suspended nor cable-stayed.

2 years. They got on with that one.

Can't see the video. Says page not available.

Found a video on YouTube and it looks nice!
It worked fine this morning and I checked the link... maybe it's crashed because everybody in Italy is clicking on it at the same time! There's another video with footage of the road deck, and the (existing) access roads - I'll see if I can add that when I get a bit more time.

Viva la Repubblica!
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Owain wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:17 The replacement bridge opens today! It's a completely different design; I didn't realise the new one was going to be neither suspended nor cable-stayed.

Correction to my earlier post: the Ponte San Giorgio (it has a different official name from the original - the Viadotto Polcevera - St George being the patron saint of Genova) has been inaugurated today. I'm not sure how long before it will actually be open to traffic.

Bryn666 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 13:50Not sure if the article references it but part of the design is that the number of lighting columns have been designed so that they represent each life lost in the collapse from what I recall. That's the sort of subtle but significant touch that makes this replacement project even more remarkable.
This is correct - I watched part of the ceremony through a live feed, and the Italian prime minister made reference to fact that the 43 lighting columns represent each of the victims of the tragedy. The whole thing was covered in Italian flags; it was quite a spectacle, featuring a fly past by the Italian air force.

Viva la Repubblica!
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

Certainly, one heck of an achievement to build a bridge and have it ready to open in just two years.

Hats off to our Italian neighbours.
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Gareth

Post by Gareth »

Yeah. Here, we'd still be consulting people on whether or not we should have a consultation on building it.

Let's hope it's built properly though!
BOH

Post by BOH »

mikehindsonevans wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 23:13 Certainly, one heck of an achievement to build a bridge and have it ready to open in just two years.

Hats off to our Italian neighbours.
It was built in around 1 year as construction did not start until Summer 2019. It took a year for all the investigations and demolition following the collapse of the Ponte Morandi.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

Gareth wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 08:33Let's hope it's built properly though!
Having watched the high-speed video of its construction, I assume that the engineers spent much of their childhoods playing with Lego. The various sections were made elsewhere (Germany, I think), and it looks like all they had to do on-site was put it together!

All very impressive.

Viva la Repubblica!