Roadside America blocked

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Klepsydra

Roadside America blocked

Post by Klepsydra »

One of my favourite websites to browse between US roadtrips is Roadside America.

Except it's now "403 Forbidden" to the UK.

I am not web savvy. Is there anything that can be done?

(https://www.roadsideamerica.com/)
"I went to a planet without bilateral symmetry and all I got was this lousy F-shirt."
boliston

Re: Roadside America blocked

Post by boliston »

why would anybody want to block users from certain countries from visiting their website? surely it's called the 'world wide web' for a reason!
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

How long's it been like that for? Maybe there's a problem with the site - you could try tweeting them, they seem to have a twitter. I've tried a couple of foreign proxies to see if it was just UK access blocked, but I couldn't get in routing via the netherlands or france
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

boliston wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 23:15 why would anybody want to block users from certain countries from visiting their website? surely it's called the 'world wide web' for a reason!
Usually rights issues - BBC if accessed from ROI usually presents with adverts, and iplayer TV is unavailable.
Is there a road improvement project going on near you? Help us to document it on the SABRE Wiki - help is available in the Digest forum.
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Get involved! - see our guide to scanning and stitching maps
roadtester

Post by roadtester »

It may be something to do with the new EU data protection regime.

Several US newspaper sites are temporarily blocked for European readers as they try to work out how to comply.
Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
KeithW

Post by KeithW »

Its actually very easy, so easy I dont know why anyone bothers.

Just use a free proxy server such as
https://hide.me/en/proxy

Select location USA then paste in the url

Worked a treat for me

Alternatively download and use the TOR browser where it also works if a little more slowly.
c2R
SABRE Wiki admin

Post by c2R »

thanks - I must have been low on brain power last night as I didn't think to try an American proxy, just ones that weren't British...