Norwegians build a roundabout in a tunnel

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

roadtester

Norwegians build a roundabout in a tunnel

Post by roadtester »

Electrophorus Electricus

Check out #davidsdailycar on Mastodon
Burns

Re: Norwegians build a roundabout in a tunnel

Post by Burns »

I've driven this roundabout. There's one on the other side of the fjord as well. I've driven the Hardanger Bridge a few times and it has to be one of the finest bits of engineering I've seen. Here's my video of the crossing.

As for junctions in tunnels, I've driven a Norwegian tunnel with a regular t-junction in it and I've driven two tunnels with grade separated junctions in them. I wouldn't go as far to say that underground junctions of all types are common in Norway but there are quite a few of them if you know where to look.
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

West Ferry Circus at Canary Wharf, London, is a roundabout in a tunnel (unfortunately no Streetview of the inside).
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Burns wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 17:30As for junctions in tunnels, I've driven a Norwegian tunnel with a regular t-junction in it and I've driven two tunnels with grade separated junctions in them. I wouldn't go as far to say that underground junctions of all types are common in Norway but there are quite a few of them if you know where to look.
Not only a fork GSJ but also S2+1 crawler lanes!
Burns

Post by Burns »

S2+1 crawler lanes are common in sub-sea tunnels due to them usually having 8% to 10% gradients. Running along the sea floor, they'll often drop back to S2 for a bit, meaning the tunnels have interesting profile changes as you pass through them.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Burns wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 18:08 S2+1 crawler lanes are common in sub-sea tunnels due to them usually having 8% to 10% gradients. Running along the sea floor, they'll often drop back to S2 for a bit, meaning the tunnels have interesting profile changes as you pass through them.
I'd have expected the tunnels to remain a constant width but with the centre area protected by bollards in that scenario, but the cost of wider tunnel bores would not provide any benefit.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
Burns

Post by Burns »

Bryn666 wrote: Fri Sep 21, 2018 10:09
Burns wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 18:08 S2+1 crawler lanes are common in sub-sea tunnels due to them usually having 8% to 10% gradients. Running along the sea floor, they'll often drop back to S2 for a bit, meaning the tunnels have interesting profile changes as you pass through them.
I'd have expected the tunnels to remain a constant width but with the centre area protected by bollards in that scenario, but the cost of wider tunnel bores would not provide any benefit.
Why blast more than you need to? Here's a good example of a profile changing tunnel.
Al__S

Post by Al__S »

i guess when you're tunneling through solid rock by blasting, rather than boring through softer ground, it's rather simpler to have a changing profile
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Post by FosseWay »

Never underestimate the Scandinavians' desire to deploy dynamite. :wink:
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
Northern Lights

Post by Northern Lights »

WOW!!.. :o

….a future James Bond set then??…. :laugh: