Brown ‘P’ in Sweden

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

Sulzer:1999

Brown ‘P’ in Sweden

Post by Sulzer:1999 »

Hang on, It’s not what your thinking....
During my visit to Sweden at the end of July, we headed up the the delightful ‘Jungfru Kustleden Väg’ from off the E4 near Gnarp, heading for the open air museum at Galtström.
En-route, I noticed at a couple of ‘Parkering’ areas had ‘P’ signage with tourist brown backing instead of the usual blue.
Have been unable to find anything official on-line about this, wondered if there was a legal back up to the change in colour? What if a van driver parked up to eat his smorgas?
Incedently, roads like these are great for old or unusual sign spotting, soon after I came across a cracker of a heavily faded ‘series of bends’ sign.

Murray Duncan
FosseWay
Assistant Site Manager

Re: Brown ‘P’ in Sweden

Post by FosseWay »

I can't say I've seen these round me. But Swedish road signs seem to be much less tightly controlled by a central standard than UK ones. I don't just mean that sign makers get it wrong from time to time (which they do here just as they do anywhere), but that "traffic signs" with the standard font are used to point to all sorts of things that you wouldn't expect to see on a TSRGD-compliant sign in the UK. You get signs to named private businesses, for example. It could well be that whoever wants to promote the car parks as being suitable for tourists has simply ordered them in "tourist" plumage.

The only signs that are always consistent in Sweden are the compulsory round red-on-yellow and white-on-blue ones. Even standard direction signage varies a great deal.

BTW a good "heritage" route in Sweden to follow is the old "Riksettan", riksväg 1, which ran from Helsingborg to Stockholm before it was renumbered E4 in 1962. Because it has since been bypassed by the modern E4 motorway, there are a number of features intact along the route, including signage, especially on the stretch Vaggeryd - Örkelljunga in Småland.
Did you know there's more to SABRE than just the Forums?
Add your roads knowledge to the SABRE Wiki today!
Have you browsed SABRE Maps recently? Try getting involved!
mikehindsonevans

Post by mikehindsonevans »

Sulzer:1999 wrote: Sun Oct 14, 2018 23:03 Hang on, It’s not what your thinking....
"Sulzer:1999". Phew - just saw this whilst browsing (quiet morning in the study) and had a pithy (sorry!) comment ready.

In midsummer 2015, we had a fabulous 1,003-km drive from Stockholm via Sundsvall, to Jokkmokk (2km north of the Arctic Circle) to cross "longest day, 24-hr sunlight" off our respective bucket lists. Her Ladyship, swapping handbags before the flight, had left her driving licence at home (again! :bang: ) so yours truly drove the lot. I got sick of pine trees after a while.

Lovely drive, easy parking for the hire car in Sundsvall but (returning to the point of the post) no sign of brown "P" signs.
Mike
Mike Hindson-Evans.
Never argue with a conspiracy theorist.
They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

I was always told if your P is brown to see a doctor...

Even the USA uses the blue P sign in places so brown parking signs are somewhat off the wall.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck