Private properties with motorway junctions

Going on holiday? Just returned with pictures or news? Found an interesting website? Post everything international in here.

Moderator: Site Management Team

jimboLL

Private properties with motorway junctions

Post by jimboLL »

The AP8 in the Basque region has a gated junction that leads only to a private house.
(I have tried to find this on GSV having driven past it several times, to no avail- will post a link if I manage to find it).

Are there any other motorway type roads with similar arrangements?
rhyds

Re: Private properties with motorway junctions

Post by rhyds »

jimboLL wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 20:44 The AP8 in the Basque region has a gated junction that leads only to a private house.
(I have tried to find this on GSV having driven past it several times, to no avail- will post a link if I manage to find it).

Are there any other motorway type roads with similar arrangements?
There's the "back way" in to RAF Welford off the M4 (with a red-bordered "Works Access Only" sign)...
Built for comfort, not speed.
Vierwielen

Post by Vierwielen »

The Gran Sasso Underground Laboratory has its own access from the A24 at a location about 120 km from Rome. The laboratory is about 1400 metres underground and the access is from a slip road in the middle of the 10 km Gran Sasso Tunnel. The purpose of the laboratory is the detection of nuclear particles and 1400 metres of Appenine rock provides a good shield for parasitic partciles that emanate in outer space and/or the sun.
Owain
Elected Committee Member

Post by Owain »

I cannot vouch for its veracity, but Lancaster University folklore has it that there were supposed to be slip roads linking one of the roundabouts on the perimeter road to the M6. Certainly, there were plans for a bridge over the motorway to link to a never-built School of Medicine on the farmland on the other side, and there were also plans for a never-built platform on the West Coast railway line near the entrance to the campus.
Former President & F99 Driver

Viva la Repubblica!
Johnathan404

Post by Johnathan404 »

M53 J6 is surely the best example in the UK.

There must be quite a few examples of privately-owned infrastructure, like the Channel Tunnel.
I have websites about: motorway services | Fareham
WHBM

Post by WHBM »

HS2 construction site off the M25 in Buckinghamshire (now complete)

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.61566 ... 384!8i8192
Bryn666
Elected Committee Member

Post by Bryn666 »

Owain wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 22:16 I cannot vouch for its veracity, but Lancaster University folklore has it that there were supposed to be slip roads linking one of the roundabouts on the perimeter road to the M6. Certainly, there were plans for a bridge over the motorway to link to a never-built School of Medicine on the farmland on the other side, and there were also plans for a never-built platform on the West Coast railway line near the entrance to the campus.
The junction with the M6 isn't proven but the bridge over is definitely known about.
Bryn
Terminally cynical, unimpressed, and nearly Middle Age already.
She said life was like a motorway; dull, grey, and long.

Blog - https://showmeasign.online/
X - https://twitter.com/ShowMeASignBryn
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/@BrynBuck
scynthius726

Post by scynthius726 »

There's a back entrance into Pollok Park on the M77.

https://goo.gl/maps/Skoz5n7JJuQ2
Member of the out-of-touch, liberal, metropolitan, establishment elite. Apparently.
nowster
Treasurer

Post by nowster »

Similarly an emergency exit from the Trafford Centre on to the anticlockwise M60.
jgharston

Post by jgharston »

Owain wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 22:16 I cannot vouch for its veracity, but Lancaster University ... and there were also plans for a never-built platform on the West Coast railway line near the entrance to the campus.
That would have been useful when I went to the open day in 1985ish. I got a bus from Lancashire town to the uni.

Looking around Google I don't recognise anything other than the overbridge/underpass. I can barely remember anything of the visit other than the fact that I went there, and went by train. Of all the unis I applied for it's the only one I've never visited since. I'll have to try and remember to pop around next time I'm going along the M6.